Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Reflectors for toe clips

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Reflectors for toe clips

Old 09-22-22, 05:46 AM
alexk_il

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 26 Posts
Reflectors for toe clips

Unsurprisingly my MKS Sylvans came without extra plates/reflector holders that are shown on Zefal installation guide. Does anyone know what are these?

Old 09-22-22, 06:43 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3487 Post(s)
Liked 2,906 Times in 1,765 Posts
What?
Old 09-22-22, 06:46 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Add some Reflective Tape

Old 09-22-22, 07:00 AM
Oakman

Bikes: Road, hybrid, and SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 37 Posts
These ought to work:

Wellgo Bolt-on reflectors
Likes For Oakman:
Old 09-22-22, 07:04 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
Whenever I encounter those, I take them off and throw them away, along with all the other reflectors.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 09-22-22, 08:22 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,790 Times in 3,305 Posts
Sad that people object to reflectors so much. They really do seem to be some of the first things I notice bringing my attention to a bicycle and cyclist when I'm driving at night. And when those reflectors on the pedals are going up and down, it makes it very quickly apparent what I'm about to encounter.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-22-22, 08:41 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Sad that people object to reflectors so much. They really do seem to be some of the first things I notice bringing my attention to a bicycle and cyclist when I'm driving at night. And when those reflectors on the pedals are going up and down, it makes it very quickly apparent what I'm about to encounter.
Or if you don't want to dork up your bike, put reflective tape on the back of your shoes and wear pink or yellow socks.
Old 09-22-22, 09:44 AM
alexk_il

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Or if you don't want to dork up your bike, put reflective tape on the back of your shoes and wear pink or yellow socks.
I lost all my front lights on my bike once, also had no reflectors on the front. The lights/reflectors on the back still worked fine, however facing crazy drivers trying to beat their personal speed records on a dark twisty narrow rural road was not the most pleasant experience of my life.
Old 09-22-22, 10:07 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3487 Post(s)
Liked 2,906 Times in 1,765 Posts
You don't need reflectors if you don't ride at night.
Old 09-22-22, 08:31 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by Oakman
These ought to work:

Wellgo Bolt-on reflectors
Nice. If you are able to mount these over the toeclips, using the same screws, even better. If you have to mount them on the back of the pedals, you'll probably kick them off after a few rides.
Old 09-22-22, 09:11 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
The usual issue with pedal reflectors and toe clips is that most current reflectors are rather cheap injected plastic and the bolt heads tend to compress into the plastic bodies (of the reflectors). Since so few riders do much follow up check over/fine tuning after the initial miles of any new item's use this results in loose reflectors. Adding the stress of the toe clips to the system just hastens the loosening (especially when the reflector is also made of plastic). My suggestion is to revisit the reflector/toe clip hardware soon after the install just to make sure all is tight.

I won't argue about using reflectors in any location. Do know that the cube cut style (which is pretty much any CPSC approved reflector) has a best angulation WRT the incoming light source. Just like the popular LED flashers the unit really works best when it is at 90* to that incoming light (or with flashers with the following driver's eyes). So while reflective stuff is good there's a range of (of attachment/aiming angle) actual effectiveness to consider. Andy
Old 09-22-22, 10:11 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5764 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,404 Posts
By now they might have discarded the last of them, but for a long while just about every bike shop had a bucket of these that they couldn't decide whether to save or not

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 09-23-22, 12:40 AM
alexk_il

Originally Posted by FBinNY
By now they might have discarded the last of them, but for a long while just about every bike shop had a bucket of these that they couldn't decide whether to save or not
No offence to US based cyclists, but your national cycling habits might not be always relevant for the rests of the world.

Did you know that it is actually illegal in Europe to ride a bike without reflectors at night? It is also illegal to sell complete bikes without reflectors where I live.
Old 09-23-22, 12:51 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by alexk_il
No offence to US based cyclists, but your national cycling habits might not be always relevant for the rests of the world.

Did you know that it is actually illegal in Europe to ride a bike without reflectors at night? It is also illegal to sell complete bikes without reflectors where I live.
I actual like that and all our shop bikes get a full inspection for reflectors and replace anything that is missing/broken. Front/Rear/pedals/wheels

Likes For JoeTBM:
Old 09-23-22, 06:49 AM
Jeff Neese

Same here in the U.S. Laws vary by state but many states even require both lights and reflectors when riding in low light conditions. Some of us don't ride at night so we take our reflectors off. Bike shops have to sell them with reflectors.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 09-23-22, 08:05 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts

Here in NYS we have the same regulations, however most people feel that the police have more important things to do than chase reflector less cyclists.

It would be interesting to learn of this forum's member's stats WRT where they live. Each member can include their location, but the vast majority don't make this public, just like they use fake names Andy
Old 09-23-22, 01:16 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5764 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,404 Posts

No offense taken. OTOH I don't feel concerned by my lack of psychic powers. While technical issues travel with the bike and are the same all over the world. Side issues, like rules of the road, other legal equipment requirements depend on location.

FWIW - in the USA it's a bit complicated. Federal rules apply to bikes as sold new, while state rules apply to the bike as used. So, while new bicycles must be sold with front, rear, wheel, and pedal reflectors, different rules apply once they leave the shop. In most states reflectors aren't needed except at night, and usually that requirement is only for front and rear reflectors. This dichotomy contributes to pedal reflectors being a poor stepchild, with nobody being very committed to them.

Also, as Andy mentioned, there's often a conflict when mounting toe clips, so even those retaining the rear facing pedal reflectors discard the front facing one. This isn't really an issue, because the shoe often blocks the sight line, and the risks of lack of visibility generally relate to approaches from the side, ie, a car coming from a side road. In these cases, reflectors become much less effective, approaching zero, since there are no headlights pointed in their direction.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 09-24-22, 05:45 AM
kitbiggz

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Those are totally useless and adds weight. Having lights is what saves people night riding.
Old 09-24-22, 09:33 AM
Jeff Neese

Originally Posted by kitbiggz
Those are totally useless and adds weight. Having lights is what saves people night riding.
They are most certainly not useless. I take mine off because I don't ride at night, but if you've ever come up behind a bike at night with pedal reflectors, they're actually quite effective and a good supplement to lighting.
Likes For Jeff Neese: