Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Are there 10-11 inch quick release skewers?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 08-18-22, 07:27 PM
Khandor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I bought a frame and wheels a while back off marketplace. Finally got around to trying to put a bike together, however, the back part for the frame is a thru axle type and the wheel hubs are QR.

The quick release are too short to make it through. Are there longer QR skewers? Or do I need to get a new wheel/hub for the back?

Thanks 😀
Old 08-18-22, 08:45 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4331 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Thru axle wheels and QR wheels are very much different and have different spacing. Get the correct wheels but you might want to consider checking out your local bike shop as they can help you get the correct parts and measure things.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 08-18-22, 08:45 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Even if you could find a longer skewer, a qr hub has an axle too small (typically 10mm diameter) to locate properly in a thru-axle hole (usually 12mm). You need the correct hub and thru-axle.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 08-18-22, 08:58 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
If you didn't know the difference between q/r axles and thru axles BEFORE you went ahead and bought the frame you should probably find some help putting it together from someone with experience. Lots of experience.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 08-18-22, 11:05 PM
Khandor

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HillRider
Even if you could find a longer skewer, a qr hub has an axle too small (typically 10mm diameter) to locate properly in a thru-axle hole (usually 12mm). You need the correct hub and thru-axle.
Oh yeah that makes sense. Thanks for the answer.

I have the 12x148 thru axle. I'll get a new wheel then. This is my 1st bike build. I have a newfound respect for the techs at my local shop 😄
Old 08-18-22, 11:07 PM
Khandor

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cxwrench
If you didn't know the difference between q/r axles and thru axles BEFORE you went ahead and bought the frame you should probably find some help putting it together from someone with experience. Lots of experience.
Fair point.
Old 08-18-22, 11:08 PM
Khandor

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Thru axle wheels and QR wheels are very much different and have different spacing. Get the correct wheels but you might want to consider checking out your local bike shop as they can help you get the correct parts and measure things.
Thanks for the answer. Great advice. I have had the local shop do a lot of the work.

I'll have to find a 12*148 hub or wheel I guess. Thanks again!
Likes For Khandor:
Old 08-19-22, 01:28 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Surprised the frame didn't come with an axle, as this is now part normally of the basic frame package when purchased, not the wheel

Also, if your building a current bike, effectively everything is in metric now (and has been for a while), searching for a 10-11 inch QR will bring few if any useful results
Likes For jimc101:
Old 08-19-22, 06:38 AM
anga

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts
Looking only at the front wheel. Assume 12mm thru-axle holes in the dropouts.
Will the following work?
The hollow QR axle has a diameter of 9mm.
Find a nut, 12mm od, 9mm id, threaded on the outside (appropriate thread) and smooth on the inside. Width of the nut is the dropout thickness.
With this nut threaded into the thru-axle holes, will the QR wheel fit with the standard QR skewer?
Likes For anga:
Old 08-19-22, 07:19 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Originally Posted by anga
Looking only at the front wheel. Assume 12mm thru-axle holes in the dropouts.
Will the following work?
The hollow QR axle has a diameter of 9mm.
Find a nut, 12mm od, 9mm id, threaded on the outside (appropriate thread) and smooth on the inside. Width of the nut is the dropout thickness.
With this nut threaded into the thru-axle holes, will the QR wheel fit with the standard QR skewer?
You are describing reducer bushings (M12x1.0 or 1.5 OD by 9mm ID) and these would have to be custom made by a machine shop as I don't think anyone makes them commercially. The cost could be quite high and probably it would be cheaper to get the correct hub.

Ironically, Problem Solvers makes an adapter to do just the opposite of what you want. They sell a 12mm front thru-axle with the ends reduced to fit standard 9mm fork dropouts so you can use a thru-axle hub in a conventional fork.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 08-19-22, 07:54 AM
anga

You are describing reducer bushings (M12x1.0 or 1.5 OD by 9mm ID) and these would have to be custom made by a machine shop as I don't think anyone makes them commercially. The cost could be quite high and probably it would be cheaper to get the correct hub.

Ironically, Problem Solvers makes an adapter to do just the opposite of what you want. They sell a 12mm front thru-axle with the ends reduced to fit standard 9mm fork dropouts so you can use a thru-axle hub in a conventional fork.
How about drilling a 9mm hole in an M12 hex bolt or set screw after cutting to length?
Or, google throws up a bunch of M12 reducer bushings.
Old 08-19-22, 08:07 AM
HillRider

How about drilling a 9mm hole in an M12 hex bolt or set screw after cutting to length?
Or, google throws up a bunch of M12 reducer bushings.
Go right ahead. If you have access to the required machinery, anything is possible.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 08-19-22, 11:44 AM
anga

Go right ahead. If you have access to the required machinery, anything is possible.
No need to be so competitive.
Old 08-19-22, 02:49 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
No need to be so competitive.
Really? Throw out dumb ideas you gotta be ready for realistic replies.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 08-20-22, 03:13 AM
anga

Originally Posted by cxwrench
Really? Throw out dumb ideas you gotta be ready for realistic replies.
You seem to find it hard to differentiate between an idea, its final form, and implementation.

A constructive comment would point out that the wall thickness is 1.5mm not 3mm and cannot accommodate 1.5 to 1.75mm thread pitch; would work for 15mm thru-axles; can be modified by using a 1.5mm shim in the non-threaded hole and probably use something like solder to preserve the threads in the threaded hole and a thin shim(beer can thickness) to protect solder.
There are other solutions but wasted on dumb people like you.
Old 08-20-22, 04:59 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
You seem to find it hard to differentiate between an idea, its final form, and implementation.

A constructive comment would point out that the wall thickness is 1.5mm not 3mm and cannot accommodate 1.5 to 1.75mm thread pitch; would work for 15mm thru-axles; can be modified by using a 1.5mm shim in the non-threaded hole and probably use something like solder to preserve the threads in the threaded hole and a thin shim(beer can thickness) to protect solder.
There are other solutions but wasted on dumb people like you.
Some people seem to think when building a new bike from the frame up it's better to get all the proper parts rather than cludge together custom one off pieces to make incompatible parts "work"
Likes For dedhed:
Old 08-21-22, 03:47 AM
anga

Originally Posted by dedhed
Some people seem to think when building a new bike from the frame up it's better to get all the proper parts rather than cludge together custom one off pieces to make incompatible parts "work"
You should've quoted the first post rather than mine. I am not the OP.
Old 08-21-22, 08:41 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3489 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,766 Posts
You should've quoted the first post rather than mine. I am not the OP.
No, he quoted the correct post.
Likes For smd4:
Old 08-22-22, 04:06 PM
Khandor

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dedhed
Oh yeah I totally get that. I was just asking in case there was a solution before I ended up spending money on a rear wheel.

All good. Now just waiting for the new wheel so I can finish this build. Thanks for your input. 😀