Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Fuji Thrill ATB from mid 1980s

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-22, 01:15 PM
strendic

Bikes: 1985 Fuji Thrill ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Greetings to everyone!

I just discovered this forum while doing research on my bike and decided to become a member. I am the original owner of Fuji Thrill ATB that I think I bought sometime around 1985 or so. It's always been in my garage or in a shed when not in use. It's all original except for the inner tubes and tires that I had to replace a few years ago. I know very little about the bikes technology, components, frame material, etc. The bike frame sticker indicates it has Cromoly tubing; the bike has 3 by 6 gear setup. I am 66 years old, 5.9", 170 lbs and in decent shape.

My dilemma is the following.

Do I preserve the bike's original setup? I have no idea what a used bike in the shape like mine could sell for. This is the only bike I have ever owned. The bike is fun to ride but if I make it more comfortable I would ride it more often. Do I spend some money and swap some components? For example install a more comfortable seat, Get rid of the derailleur set-up and install an IGH with a certain number of gears or just go with a simple single gear set up. The area where I bike is relatively flat.

So do you think the bike is not considered a classic or vintage but the frame material is of higher quality and upgrading the seat and gear system is a good idea? I have no idea how much those new components would cost me. Or do I just treat myself to a new city bike with a step through frame like Electra Loft or similar.

I tried to upload the bike photos but for some reason it didn't work. I need to figure out what I am doing wrong.
Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge and your own experiences.

Bo from Maryland

Last edited by strendic; 09-05-22 at 01:20 PM. Reason: failed to upload photos
Likes For strendic:
Old 09-05-22, 01:38 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Sounds like you're in the right place Bo. I think if the bike is in good condition you should just ride it as is. A 3 X 6 provides you with a capable range of gears and will let for get back in the game for little to no money. Getting the fit is crucial so perhaps get some riding in before spending money on saddles that may or may not work for you. I wouldn't consider an IGH at this point. Upgrading to a 7 speed rear is usually simple but with no huge benefit. We're big on pics so you can make 10 posts and then attach shots or you can upload to the Gallery now (top of page) and we can repost them here in this thread until you get your post count up.
Likes For clubman:
Old 09-05-22, 02:21 PM
strendic

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you for the quick reply to my first thread and your suggestions!!! I just read Bike Forum's welcome message indicating the same rule when I will be able to upload pics.

I tried your Gallery suggestion but when I click the link I am no longer logged into my account. When I click on upload photos from my computer nothing happens. In due time I will learn how to navigate this website. I thought of sending you a PM with my bike pics but the PM does not give me the option to attach any files. I guess I need to make 8 more posts quickly...

Kind regards
Old 09-05-22, 03:03 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Originally Posted by strendic
Thank you for the quick reply to my first thread and your suggestions!!! I just read Bike Forum's welcome message indicating the same rule when I will be able to upload pics.

I tried your Gallery suggestion but when I click the link I am no longer logged into my account. When I click on upload photos from my computer nothing happens. In due time I will learn how to navigate this website. I thought of sending you a PM with my bike pics but the PM does not give me the option to attach any files. I guess I need to make 8 more posts quickly...

Kind regards
I just tried to have a peek at the gallery and it wouldn't let me in. Probably a little back-end maintenance going on.
Old 09-05-22, 04:03 PM
strendic

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for looking into this. Btw I notice you are located in NS. One of my favorite rides was my 1997 Honda Goldwing motorcycle. My wife and I rode up from Maryland to Montreal, Ottawa and Quebec CIty then to PEI and NS. We had a great time! Eating daily catch of local PEI mussels was a special treat!

Bo
Likes For strendic:
Old 09-05-22, 07:13 PM
Oldbikenut

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 26 Posts
Welcome, it’s great you held to it for all these years! My favorite bikes are original
Old 09-05-22, 07:42 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
My dilemma is the following.

Do I preserve the bike's original setup?
Or do I just treat myself to a new city bike with a step through frame like Electra Loft or similar.
I'm from the camp that keeps things as original as can be. It is hard to say what would be the best for you to do, but I have a hunch were it me, I would keep any bike I've owned since the mid 80s original and buy a modern bike if you wanted better and more modern components. I have an aluminum Trek Domane and a few bike boom bikes like I rode 42 years ago. The boomers are very original and I love riding them, but the modern bike is better for me to really cover the back roads.

Welcome to BF too by the way.

Old 09-06-22, 08:16 AM
strendic

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you very much! Based on replies from you and other forum members my dilemma is settled. I will keep my Fuji Thrill in its original shape.

Have a great week...
Bo
Old 09-06-22, 08:29 AM
strendic

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
I'm from the camp that keeps things as original as can be. It is hard to say what would be the best for you to do, but I have a hunch were it me, I would keep any bike I've owned since the mid 80s original and buy a modern bike if you wanted better and more modern components. I have an aluminum Trek Domane and a few bike boom bikes like I rode 42 years ago. The boomers are very original and I love riding them, but the modern bike is better for me to really cover the back roads.

Welcome to BF too by the way.
To Chuck M: Thank you for offering your perspective and sharing your experience. Btw, 5 more posts and I will then be able to attach photos of my Fuji Thrill. Now that I will keep it in its original shape I will start researching this bike forum website and look for chats on city bike ideas. A step through frame is a must for ease and convenience followed by features that require minimal maintenance.

I am glad to discover this bikers community. Kind regards...

Bo
Old 09-06-22, 08:36 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Thank you very much! Based on replies from you and other forum members my dilemma is settled. I will keep my Fuji Thrill in its original shape.

Have a great week...
Bo
Good choice, but don't be afraid to experiment with saddles. Those are highly personal, and you should find what works best for your personal posterior. 😉 Also, be sure to grab some padded bike shorts, if you've never tried them. That makes a HUGE difference. 🙂
Likes For stardognine:
Old 09-06-22, 03:42 PM
strendic

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine
Good choice, but don't be afraid to experiment with saddles. Those are highly personal, and you should find what works best for your personal posterior. 😉 Also, be sure to grab some padded bike shorts, if you've never tried them. That makes a HUGE difference. 🙂
Thank you for these suggestions. After reading some online articles on the seats I am now checking Amazon reviews on Selle Royal Respiro Soft Athletic Cycling Saddle. Do you have brand suggestions, your favorites, for the seat and padded shorts?

Bo
Old 09-06-22, 05:13 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Thank you for these suggestions. After reading some online articles on the seats I am now checking Amazon reviews on Selle Royal Respiro Soft Athletic Cycling Saddle. Do you have brand suggestions, your favorites, for the seat and padded shorts?

Bo
I actually have a Selle Royal on my Soma Saga now, and like it quite a bit. 👍 There are a lot of bike shorts makers out there now, but if you just start with the best, Pearl Izumi, you'll save a lot of time & testing. 😉 Good luck.
Old 09-07-22, 04:48 AM
strendic

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine
I actually have a Selle Royal on my Soma Saga now, and like it quite a bit. 👍 There are a lot of bike shorts makers out there now, but if you just start with the best, Pearl Izumi, you'll save a lot of time & testing. 😉 Good luck.
Glad to know you have the same saddle brand I am reviewing. I am comparing the Respiro mentioned model to another one of their models called "Selle Royal Lookin RoyalGel Comfort Bike Saddle". Hope you don't mind me asking, which of their models do you use?
Old 09-07-22, 07:00 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
I wear so-called expedition bike shorts, which are basically hiking shorts with snap-in (best) or sewn-in padded bike shorts underneath. These are versatile, with two zip-up (very important!!!) pockets.

As for saddles, I am one of those hard core old school Brooks Professional fans.

As for gearing, I always use non-indexed (friction or ratcheting friction) shifting, and I have done lots of 2x5 to 2x6 or 2x7 conversions on road bikes. My (1988 vintage) mountain bike was spec'd for 3x6; I bought it used with 3x7 and subsequently opportunistically upgraded to 3x8. I don't see the point in going beyond that, and with the right combination of cogs and chainrings, 3x7 could have worked just fine.

For safety, replace whatever brake pads you have with new KoolStops, and probably replace the cables and housings at the same time.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 09-07-22, 08:04 AM
strendic

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
"As for gearing, I always use non-indexed (friction or ratcheting friction) shifting"

John E thank you! It appears my Fuji tweaking may be turning into a winter project. I am a total newbie when it comes to bike components and terminology. Can you post a close-up pic of the shifter you recommended? And thank you for your other suggestions!

Bo