Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

44mm Head Tube with 1" Seerer

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

44mm Head Tube with 1" Seerer

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-22, 03:52 PM
FREDS404

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
44mm Head Tube With 1" Steerer

I am working on ruining (or making infinitely better) a prefectly good e-bike and hoping to find some parts. The bike has a 44mm head tube and I'm installing a fork with 1" threaded steerer. Figured there would be a headset out there for this combination but thoroughly striking out.

Anybody know of a full headset or adapters that will work for me?

Last edited by FREDS404; 09-05-22 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-05-22, 03:59 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
I think you would be better off to buy a fork with either a 1-1/8" straight or 1-1/8"x1-1/2" tapered threadless steerer and a matching headset rather than cobbling together a bunch of reducers to fit an obsolete fork. Cane Creek 40 series headsets are available to fit a 44mm headtube and accept either size threadless fork.

A 1" threaded fork is probably not rigid enough for the weight of an e-bike and the frame maker thought so too.
Old 09-05-22, 04:25 PM
FREDS404

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I understand your point... but finding an affordable springer fork for a 14" tire isn't exactly a thing either. Minor detail I left out I know.
Old 09-05-22, 04:54 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
14" is not a common bike size it is something found at wally mart and similar places that sell bicycle shaped objects. A 44mm head tube is designed for non-threaded straight 1 1/8 steerer tubes or tapered 1 1/14 steerer tubes not for 1inch threaded. This project seems like a bit of a mess of parts and bike and I have a feeling something is way off here. I would post info on your bike and maybe we can help find you a fork or let you know what to do next.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 09-05-22, 05:44 PM
FREDS404

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, it's a hodge of different parts. Started with a costco Jetson e-bike with the collapsible handle bars. Now it's getting converted to 48v 1000w hub motor and corresponding controller. Also has a banana seat with sissy bar, springer forks and ape-hangers. Brakes also upsized to 180mm rotors and hydraulic calipers. But, the very last thing I need is a headset solution. Yes I know it's dumb, but it's a hoot.

Measured the ID of factory head tube, 1.732"/44mm and it ran a 28.5mm steerer.

As a last resort the OD of the 1" steerer is .998" actual and I have a reamer to give the 1-1/8" steerer an ID of 1.001". I'd need to chuck it up on the lathe so I can sleeve it over the 1" steerer lower bearing seat and giving me the same steerer overall length. Few little plug welds to lock her home and I can run 28.5mm threaded headset. But, would rather opt for a bolt on solution.
Old 09-06-22, 01:28 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
The sleeve solution is what I would consider although if there's reasonable shim/sleeve and steerer overlap a retaining compound would hold stuff in place, be more easily reversable and not involve heating anything.

I feel obligated to address using a 1" steerer on a bike that has the speed potential that a 1000W motor can provide. Like Hillrider said, perhaps not the smartest thing to do. Andy