Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How can I never inadvertently screw the axle out of the brake hub again?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-22, 04:49 PM
gravelocity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was working on a Schwinn Cruiser from 1980 with a Bendix 76 coaster brake hub.

While screwing an axle nut on, the torquing ended up unscrewing the axle out of the hub, like the nut was stuck on the axle's threading too tight. What can I do to make sure this never happens again?

Could putting too much grease on the threading have contributed to the problem? I've taken a different bolt and nut for the same bike into a hardware store and was told by an employee that there was gunk in the threads making it hard to screw the parts together (from the grease). Once he went in the back and removed it it was fine. And at least one of these axle nuts if not both had been harder to screw on and off lately, possibly for the same reason?

Should I have stabilized by using a cone wrench on the other side to counter the rotation? I've seen that done in YouTube videos.

Any other ideas?
Old 09-05-22, 06:09 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
Axel threads tend to get buggered up. As you are screwing the nut on, the axel will turn where there is less resistance. If the end is a little beat up the nut will hang on it and then the nut and axel turn like you experienced. This can happen if it is dirty as well. Usually if the threads are not too badly damaged, you can hold the other end of the axel with your fingers to investigate where the hang up is.

Old 09-05-22, 06:09 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,908 Times in 1,139 Posts
If the hub had been overhauled properly none of the axle parts should have moved as they all have lock nuts on them to hold them in place. I would go to a nearby co-op and get a couple of new nuts to secure the hub in the frame. Just my thoughts, MH