Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Stupid Trainer & Need Real World Knowledge

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-22, 07:23 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked 516 Times in 343 Posts

Hopefully I posted this in the right sub-forum. I got me a stupid trainer coming and I want speed and mileage at a glance but have been told that the wireless units won't reach from the rear wheel to the handle bars. In fact, according to some reviews they don't even work so well from the front wheel. Any real world experience out there good or bad and recommendations. Just speed and distance while riding it is all I need. Thanks, Smokey

Edit for clarity-I'm using my road bike with both wheels intact on a turbo trainer.
Old 09-17-22, 07:41 PM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 263 Posts
Seems you summed it up nicely. You bought a trainer that won't do what you want it to do.
If you can't return it I guess you could test the range of the wireless transmitter by riding the trainer with the receiver in your hand close to the transmitter and moving it away until signal is lost...that is the maximum range point...I guess you could figure out a way to place the receiver at the max range of the transmitter and able to view the speed, etc. while using the trainer.
To add extra cost perhaps you could buy an inexpensive gps computer and a wheel mounted speed sensor. You'd get the info you want.
The downside is the cost of the computer, speed sensor and 'dumb' trainer may be equal to the just released Zwift smart trainer $500US or the Saris H3 smart trainer which is now priced at $550US and originally sold at $1100US.
Likes For Kai Winters:
Old 09-17-22, 08:09 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
Agree with Kai Winters, move the computer receiver to be closer to sender. Putting the sender on the rear chainstay as close to the rim as practical may help get the sender closer to where you might want the reciever.

I had a really cheap wireless computer over a decade ago, my small wheel folding bike could not put the sender within range of the handlebar mounted receiver but that one I estimated range to be only 14 inches. A better computer has longer range. I think most better ones will be at least a few feet.
Old 09-17-22, 09:41 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Distance is zero. Speed is zero.

You're welcome.
Likes For znomit:
Old 09-17-22, 10:23 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Yeah, the sending units I'm looking at have a range of about 2 feet, I don't have a problem with it on the top bar just forward of the seat because I only need it when I;m going on the trainer. I have GPS for out in the real world. I thought about getting one of those cheap wired ones with a 3 foot cord, but I really don't want to leave it on the bike full time. I'll probably try one of the cheap wireless units, but am hoping someone here might have already done that an I could save me a 20 spot and some time and frustration. Thanks,
Old 09-17-22, 10:24 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Originally Posted by znomit
Distance is zero. Speed is zero.

You're welcome.
Took me a minute to get it, but yep, I got it haha
Old 09-17-22, 10:28 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by SpedFast
Took me a minute to get it, but yep, I got it haha
My less obnoxious answer is, heart rate, time and cadence are all you need for a trainer.
Old 09-18-22, 05:06 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
My less obnoxious answer is, heart rate, time and cadence are all you need for a trainer.
I fully agree, but some people that want to pretend they are in a race with others on the internet want more.

Several years ago I saw a couple bikes leaning against a garbage can for pickup. Once of them was a 1980s small Bianche mixte frame hybrid in nearly unused condition. I planned to donate it to charity and walked it home, but by the time I got home I decided it would be a trainer bike. I needed a much longer seatpost. And it had a mangled ball bearing cage in the cup and cone bottom bracket that I had to deal with, that might be why it was in the garbage in the first place.

It is permanently mounted on my trainer. Great trainer bike.
Old 09-18-22, 09:49 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I fully agree, but some people that want to pretend they are in a race with others on the internet want more.

Several years ago I saw a couple bikes leaning against a garbage can for pickup. Once of them was a 1980s small Bianche mixte frame hybrid in nearly unused condition. I planned to donate it to charity and walked it home, but by the time I got home I decided it would be a trainer bike. I needed a much longer seatpost. And it had a mangled ball bearing cage in the cup and cone bottom bracket that I had to deal with, that might be why it was in the garbage in the first place.

It is permanently mounted on my trainer. Great trainer bike.
I'm age 73 and have zero interest in training for anything or competing on the internet. I just like to know how far I've pedaled since I try to do 25 miles/day whether on the bike or in the gym on a spin type machine. And I like to know my speed because I like to push myself. I have a Ram mount for my Kindle and usually read while riding at the gym. It can be mounted on my bike also. Good on you with your find. Smokey
Old 09-18-22, 11:19 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Time and resistance level is about all you have on a trainer. Speed and distance are meaningless for something that isn't changing location.

If you have a power meter, then that might be something useful for making comparisons.