Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Washington State is finally onboard.

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 10-11-22, 02:53 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,620 Times in 926 Posts

The Netherlands passed similar legislation some 30-ish years ago & it fundamentally transformed the country.

Relevant excerpt:
“In order to improve the safety, mobility, and accessibility of state highways, it is the intent of the legislature that the department must incorporate the principles of complete streets with facilities that provide street access with all users in mind, including pedestrians, bicyclists, and public transportation users, notwithstanding the provisions of RCW 47.24.020 concerning responsibility beyond the curb of state rights-of-way,” the bill, SB 5974, states.

The legislation goes on to detail how with every state transportation project that started design after July 1 of this year with a cost of over $500,000, WSDOT should identify gaps that exist in pedestrian or bike networks, and work with local jurisdictions to fill them.

That section of the law also explicitly directs WSDOT to reduce the speed limit on its state highways “to achieve the desired operating speed in those locations where this speed management approach aligns with local plans or ordinances, particularly in those contexts that present a higher possibility of serious injury or fatal crashes occurring…in keeping with a safe system approach and with the intention of ultimately eliminating serious and fatal crashes.”
(Emphasis mine.)

The article continues with specific standards, intent of service levels & design thresholds. Including specific guidance for traffic engineers now defined in policy to meet State law.

The article link: The Urbanist

Hooray!

Last edited by base2; 10-11-22 at 03:01 AM.
Old 10-17-22, 01:54 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Does Seattle still have that stupid mandatory helmet law?

I don't mean helmets are stupid, but they should be the riders' choice.
Likes For genec:
Old 10-17-22, 02:16 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Does Seattle still have that stupid mandatory helmet law?

I don't mean helmets are stupid, but they should be the riders' choice.
No, there was a thread about it. Turns out it was a health code measure, and it was done away with because the Board of Health discovered that the enforcement was absurdly selective, hassling minorities and the homeless..
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-17-22, 06:02 PM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 189 Posts
Gee, imagine thinking roads should be used by more than cars. I don't know that there are any laws concerning it, but I have noticed where I live, Albuquerque, New Mexico USA, that bike lanes seem to be getting marked on many roads when resurfaced. This generally requires narrowing the traffic lanes which I believe is known to slow traffic. Of course, white lines aren't force fields, but they still work well to make it clear that vehicles need to stay between them.
Old 10-19-22, 04:30 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
New projects here require accommodations for cyclists, but that may just be sharrows. And it only includes the area of new construction. So you can have bike lanes that suddenly end, sometimes forcing you to quickly merge into heavy auto traffic on what is now a narrow, shoulderless lane. It's still a good thing to require this but the short term results aren't always beneficial.

Last edited by jon c.; 10-22-22 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-22-22, 09:54 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
The Netherlands passed similar legislation some 30-ish years ago & it fundamentally transformed the country.

Relevant excerpt:
(Emphasis mine.)

The article continues with specific standards, intent of service levels & design thresholds. Including specific guidance for traffic engineers now defined in policy to meet State law.

The article link: The Urbanist

Hooray!
It seem that there is always a group of people that want to control others. This smells of the cyclist vs drivers argument.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 10-22-22, 10:53 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Do they actually provide funding for this or is it just a matter of joining the budget for each project?

One of the reasons I stayed in CA when my employer moved was their paid family leave funded through unemployment insurance. Washington for decades was the only other state with the same thing on the books but they just never put any money into it. Skimming the news, in 2019 they finally began but it wrecked immediately because lots of people claimed it for Covid
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 10-23-22, 05:20 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,620 Times in 926 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
It seem that there is always a group of people that want to control others. This smells of the cyclist vs drivers argument.
Explain.

Car dependency is a tax.