Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

New bike day! Good 90s mtn bike deals still exist!

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-22, 04:40 PM
Wallonthefloor

Bikes: All-City Big Block, Giant Bowery, KHS Flite 100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts

I got this yesterday for $100. It was really dirty it took me an hour to scrub it pretty clean. Today I took it to the bike shop and got these water bottle cages, he inspected and it needed a derailleur hanger alignment it was really bent he said. I came because it needed new brake pads they were the originals I think and for the rear it was metal on metal, not good at all. I accidentally used them only a few times it was squealing and not stopping good. The headset was a tad bit loose and got adjusted quick and it needed oil to adjust the seatpost clamp. The mechanic pointed this stuff out immediately he seemed like he had really skilled knowledge. I have to go back because he also said the bottom bracket was not greased the seller had replaced it with a new sealed one but didn't and the shifting cables are rusted. The seller did mention he put on new grips and pedals I love them, the front derailleur, cable and tires look new too! I changed the seat to this one that I had and it really rides great! Not sure how bad I need the grease and the cable change it is working and Im not riding in the rain unless it catches me by surprise, also I'm parking it inside. Well with all that work done so far was $35 more and the seat was $40. This is my 3rd GT bike I haven't had a real mountain bike in years my other ones got stolen when I lent them out to my friends shame on me I learned my lesson twice. I was wanting to do a beginner cyclocross race in my local park coming up next month but with no bike yet and a broke budget and then my neighbor listed this for sale on fb marketplace. I am so lucky I must say!

Last edited by Wallonthefloor; 09-12-22 at 04:58 PM.
Likes For Wallonthefloor:
Old 09-14-22, 09:00 AM
Miradaman

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Mirada, 1989 Trek 420, 1995 GT Timberline, 1979 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Co-Op DRT 1.3

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Wallonthefloor
I got this yesterday for $100. It was really dirty it took me an hour to scrub it pretty clean. Today I took it to the bike shop and got these water bottle cages, he inspected and it needed a derailleur hanger alignment it was really bent he said. I came because it needed new brake pads they were the originals I think and for the rear it was metal on metal, not good at all. I accidentally used them only a few times it was squealing and not stopping good. The headset was a tad bit loose and got adjusted quick and it needed oil to adjust the seatpost clamp. The mechanic pointed this stuff out immediately he seemed like he had really skilled knowledge. I have to go back because he also said the bottom bracket was not greased the seller had replaced it with a new sealed one but didn't and the shifting cables are rusted. The seller did mention he put on new grips and pedals I love them, the front derailleur, cable and tires look new too! I changed the seat to this one that I had and it really rides great! Not sure how bad I need the grease and the cable change it is working and Im not riding in the rain unless it catches me by surprise, also I'm parking it inside. Well with all that work done so far was $35 more and the seat was $40. This is my 3rd GT bike I haven't had a real mountain bike in years my other ones got stolen when I lent them out to my friends shame on me I learned my lesson twice. I was wanting to do a beginner cyclocross race in my local park coming up next month but with no bike yet and a broke budget and then my neighbor listed this for sale on fb marketplace. I am so lucky I must say!

Nice! Like the color-coordinated stem too. I've got a 90s-era GT myself, great bikes plus I love the look. Put many miles on mine riding (tame) Midwestern singletrack and dirt/limestone paths
Likes For Miradaman:
Old 09-14-22, 09:41 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by Wallonthefloor
I

I am so lucky I must say!

I'm glad it worked out for you ! You need a basket for occasional rides with your puppy ! He (or she) is cute !
Old 09-14-22, 05:49 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Nice color. I'd go ahead and do new cables and housing if you are keeping it.

It looks like the chain might be too long.... or the RD does not have enough chain wrap capacity.
Old 09-14-22, 10:14 PM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 589 Times in 285 Posts
Nice bike. I am a GT fan also.
You're right. There are deals out there. I picked up my thermoplastic carbon framed GT STS DH for $100 off FB. I'm into mine for a couple of hundred at this point.
Hydraulic brake issues are keeping it in the garage for now. I may toss another $100 at it to have a bike shop do the work. Cooler weather and a new downhill park, Lee Canyon NV, make me want to get the bike out.
Old 09-14-22, 10:29 PM
Wallonthefloor

Bikes: All-City Big Block, Giant Bowery, KHS Flite 100

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts
I do have a basket bike for him and always for longer rides but I take him on all my bikes (this is my 9th) for bikes without a basket I carry him in one arm. Hes 14 lbs and I only live a block from the park he loves the rides. My balance is good and he has lots of fun everyday. I carry lots of pizzas home in one arm lots of prior practice.
Old 11-16-22, 06:40 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
I love vintage mtbs, and wanna own a GT one day. They can be had cheap, I basically traded my Cranbrook for this one at the co-op.
Likes For Jax Rhapsody:
Old 11-19-22, 11:52 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 638 Posts
Very nice frame and nice bike,yes you can get some interesting deals with 90's steel mountain bikes.
Old 11-28-22, 03:03 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody
I basically traded my Cranbrook for this one at the co-op.
That Rincon is not a bad bike if it fits you
You need to put the correct size rear wheel on it so your brakes work, but not bad other than that.
Old 11-28-22, 03:46 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Schweinhund
That Rincon is not a bad bike if it fits you
You need to put the correct size rear wheel on it so your brakes work, but not bad other than that.
Yeah, I know. Those wheels came off my Cranbrook, I was going for a muscle bike/strandie look, and that 650b was kicking around because I was going to build a roadster, but I got rid of the frame I planned on using. The rear brakes have been setup because my feet kept hitting them, they don't have the reach the sidepull on the cranbrook had, but they'll work if I need them.

I have just got basically the 559 version of the same wheel from a friend- looks like it was ridden without a tire, so I'm gonna throw a tire and tube in it, to see if it holds. The co-op didn't have any matching wheels. It fits me fine. I want to red the crap out of it.
Old 11-28-22, 03:59 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody

I have just got basically the 559 version of the same wheel from a friend- looks like it was ridden without a tire, so I'm gonna throw a tire and tube in it, to see if it holds. The co-op didn't have any matching wheels. It fits me fine. I want to red the crap out of it.
Staple a piece of 300 grit to a block and smooth out the rough edges on that wheel. I've cleaned up a few that were run that way and they are usually fine after cleanup.