Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Portola Parkway North of CA-241 Toll Road

Notices
Southern California Southern California

Old 11-19-21, 07:58 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked 1,460 Times in 1,011 Posts

On Google Maps, if you take Portola Parkway north, past the CA-241 toll road, and turn right at the next intersection, it is Limestone Canyon Road.

Has anyone ever ridden a bike there? Is the road paved?

I always turn right onto Whispering Hills (the last intersection before CA-241) and descend back into Irvine. So I am wondering what is up there?
Old 11-20-21, 02:01 PM
MikeEckhaus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Limestone Canyon is not public access, and it’s not paved. The only time you can access it at all is if OC Parks opens the area for hiking or mountain biking (or horseback riding?) which they do occasionally. I haven’t done an OC Park hike in a couple years, so they may have increased or decreased access to that area. It’s a great hike or mountain bike area, and you can get to a place called the Sinks, which looks like a mini Grand Canyon. But definitely not for a road bike.
Likes For MikeEckhaus:
Old 11-20-21, 02:07 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by MikeEckhaus
Limestone Canyon is not public access, and it’s not paved. The only time you can access it at all is if OC Parks opens the area for hiking or mountain biking (or horseback riding?) which they do occasionally. I haven’t done an OC Park hike in a couple years, so they may have increased or decreased access to that area. It’s a great hike or mountain bike area, and you can get to a place called the Sinks, which looks like a mini Grand Canyon. But definitely not for a road bike.
Thanks. I read about the sinks when I Googled Limestone Canyon Road, and understand that the area is only occasionally open for hiking.
Old 11-12-22, 05:08 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

How about immediately south of CA-241?

On Google Maps, if you follow Portola Parkway all the way east, right before you get to the CA-241 toll road, you can turn right onto Fairgreen, then there is a path (which is only visible on Satellite View) which meanders all the way past a few communities under construction all the way to and past Interstellar (near the intersection of Interstellar and Thrush.

Does anyone know if this path is accessible? Is it paved? Or would I need a gravel bike? Thank you.

* I drove by to take a quick look, and the start of that path is fenced off and gravel.

Last edited by SoSmellyAir; 11-12-22 at 07:32 PM.