Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Cannondale Quick 1 Disc

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Cannondale Quick 1 Disc

Old 11-08-22, 04:33 AM
Entrigo

Bikes: Merida Speeder 400 (on its way)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Haha yeah I can see how that would be fun. My brother is the same (but funnily enough I don't think he has done many mods to his road bike). I am on the other end of the spectrum, or if I can pay someone to do it - take my money! Great, that is helpful re> the Quick. I might post a new thread with a comparison shortlist to see what people think on the other bikes I am looking at (wrote it last night but computer said no, so got to start from scratch).
Old 11-08-22, 06:48 AM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Bikes: 18 Cdale Quick 1, 94 S-Works M2, 98 730 Multitrak, and a few others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 221 Posts
Originally Posted by Trav1s
I
But if I got different wheels, do the crank upgrade and some other things... that's a chunk of change towards a Roadlite 7 that is over 3 lbs lighter than the Quick 1 or the Litespeed Cherohala City...
For those who are curious, I took the online numbers I could find and came up with this information when I made the above post.

2018 Quick 1 - 10.6 kilos or 23.4 lbs (used 24 to consider all the additional kit I have installed)
Canyon Roadlite 6 - 9.9 kilos or 21.78 lbs (105 group)
Canyon Roadlite 7 - 9.2 kilos or 20.24 lbs (Ultegra group)

Can't find a weight on the Litespeed Cherohala but it is on my wishlist.
Old 11-08-22, 06:49 AM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Originally Posted by Entrigo
Haha yeah I can see how that would be fun. My brother is the same (but funnily enough I don't think he has done many mods to his road bike). I am on the other end of the spectrum, or if I can pay someone to do it - take my money! Great, that is helpful re> the Quick. I might post a new thread with a comparison shortlist to see what people think on the other bikes I am looking at (wrote it last night but computer said no, so got to start from scratch).
Feel free to post up any questions and I'll do what I can to help find clarity or confusion in the decision making process.
Old 11-08-22, 07:49 AM
Entrigo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Feel free to post up any questions and I'll do what I can to help find clarity or confusion in the decision making process.

Great, really appreciate it! Well mainly I am undecided between three bikes - Giant Escape 1 (not 0 as I don't like the idea of a 1x drivetrain), Sirrus 3.0 and now Canondale Quick 1 (not 2 as, for the money the spec level seems a bit basic).
Obviously I will go and try them out if I can, but doubt I'll be able to take them for a spin on the canal or off road

Sticking points
  • 1x vs 2x drivetrain - a few bikes I like have the 1x but I am not sure about it. Instinctively, I like the idea of a 2x, also as I think it would give me better range and efficiency, especially uphill (which I don't love). And I kinda like the feeling of switching through the gears.
  • Carbon fork - loved it on a Fuji Absolute (sold in the summer after 10 years, as it was too big for me - yeah, it took me ten years to get around to changing bike haha) and I think I would like it - I think it might help with shock absorption as well on uneven terrain. True/not?
  • Is it worth me (a newbie) also look at second hand full carbon bikes (I.e. the Sirrus Elite or Comp)? Saw a couple of Carbon Sirrus Comp/Elite going for £900/1000. Also I like the idea of the Future shock head tube suspension - does it actually help or is it a gimmick? Although we are back to the drivetrain issue, as the Sirrus X 4.0 and 5.0 have a 1x (and are also a fair bit more than my budget - I am mainly a utilitarian rider and, while I want to get more seriously into cycling, not sure I should be paying £1700 for a bike just yet. £1k or thereabouts is more than enough I think)
Thanks!
Old 11-08-22, 11:18 AM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

1x v/s 2x = bigger jumps between gears which is noticeable if you are a person who spins instead of grinding through. I'm a spinner (not a big guy) so I find the gear jumps on the Quick 1 to be pretty conducive to my riding style. (My old Specialized M2 mountain bike has the 3x setup and the rear cogs are closer ratios than the Quick. I appreciate the closer jumps between gears.) I say try them all and make the call for yourself.

Carbon fork - I rode both Cannondales and Treks without and with the carbon fork and it is worth it. I only landed the Quick 1 because a friend upgraded to a CF Roubaix roadbike because she wanted MORE speed. She was clear to say the Quick 1 is not a slow bike by any means. She's right and compared to the lower level Quick line it down right rockets along the trail.

Second hand CF bikes - I'll pass unless it is from a know source. To much risk for me.

Thinks I really like about the Quick 1 continue to be the same since I first rode it:
- 2x11 105 setup
- light and quick
- Stable and predictable at speed
- space for larger tires, mudguards, and mounts for rear rack

Beside the 105 crank and upgraded BB, I am considering different bars and wheels. Both have the potential to reduce weight and improve the ride.
Old 11-09-22, 04:46 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,038 Posts
I've had the bike on maintained singletrack with the original 700x30c Spicer K-Guards and it did fine. It was not very comfortable but ridable. I tried it on unpacked crushed limestone trail also with the original tires and that was futile - no traction and too narrow.

I'd say it is targeted to the urban crowd but it is more capable than people might think. The tire upgrade to the 700x35c size was a great choice and works great for all around riding. It is not as fast but the ride is more forgiving since I dropped tire pressures to 60-65 pounds on the 700x35c. I think 700x38c tires would fit without the mudguards but I'll let someone else give it a whirl. Gravel bikes ship with 700x37c or 700x38C so I think the Quick 1 with the tire upgrade would be fine.

As for going full mod - I'm a tinkerer by nature and cannot leave stuff alone. All of my upgrades thus far are pretty much bolt-on additions that I think about anyone can do. The 105 crank upgrade scheduled for this winter is another level of complexity. I document it when I do the installation.

t2p , any thoughts for Entrigo ?

agree - the 35mm tires are a good choice and enable the Quick 1 to be more versatile

I had 35mm tires installed on my Quick 1 - but currently have 32mm tires installed because I've been riding primarily road and paved trails ; for mixed riding I often ride another bike with 35mm tires
Old 11-11-22, 06:47 AM
Entrigo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks both. The Quick 1 is now my first choice with the Merida 400 (which would actually be my first choice but very hard to find) - it just seems to tick all the boxes. Was going for the Sirrus 3.0 but I am actually annoyed with Specialized in principle for using lower level groupsets in their bikes - just saw a 4.0 Carbon on offer, list price £1.7k using Shimano Sora. That is just cheeky. Should be off to try the Quick 1 at the weekend - found a chap on ebay selling two, a 2017 carbon and a 2016 aluminium for £1500 - Quick 1 new is £1.25k here - will see if I can bring price down to £1.3/1.4k then sell on one of the two, the one I like the least.

Update - bought a Merida Speeder in the end. Was getting twitchy as both Cannondale and Merida are out of stock pretty much everywhere here, so when I found one of the latter, I jumped the gun and bought it. Time will tell if I made the right choice. Thanks both very much for your help anyway, even if I went another way!

Last edited by Entrigo; 11-11-22 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-12-22, 12:42 PM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Snow has arrived in central Ohio so the Q1 is moving to the basement for the over winter clean up and parts swap. I’m holding out for a Black Friday sale to purchase the upgraded bottom bracket… who knows if it will or not. I’ll keep the old Specialized M2 in the garage for those nice winter day rides.
Old 11-13-22, 10:46 AM
Entrigo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Wow that's early! We still have a balmy 15 degrees temperature in London (celsius of course).
Old 11-15-22, 03:44 PM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

So the guy who cannot leave good enough alone is thinking about the list of items he wants to purchase and swap onto this bike. He decided to total up the total cost of the parts. Same guy sees that Canyon has the Roadlite 6 with the full 105 group on sale...

The parts list done the way he wants to do the upgrades comes up to over half of the Roadlite 6 on sale and shipped to his door. Beside the timing of it all, he has reservations about the Roadlite... like comfort, size, and lack of adjustment with the handle bars due to stem design. But in the end the additional money would net a very nice bike if the Canyon were selected over the upgrade route.

#firstworldproblems
Old 11-15-22, 04:10 PM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

So the guy who cannot leave good enough alone is thinking about the list of items he wants to purchase and swap onto this bike. He decided to total up the total cost of the parts. Same guy sees that Canyon has the Roadlite 6 with the full 105 group on sale...

The parts list done the way he wants to do the upgrades comes up to over half of the Roadlite 6 on sale and shipped to his door. Beside the timing of it all, he has reservations about the Roadlite... like comfort, size, and lack of adjustment with the handle bars due to stem design. But in the end the additional money would net a very nice bike if the Canyon were selected over the upgrade route.

#firstworldproblems
He's doing more research and found this on ******:

"I have a 6 and it’s a great bike. I agree with the other commenter that the ultegra group set with the 7 is overkill. That being said, unless you’re dead set on the roadlite, I’d recommend an endurace/grail/grizl, or a hybrid from another brand. Why? Because the roadlite is a flat bar road bike. You’re as stretched out as you’d be on a canyon road bike without the additional hand positions and you’re limited to 32 mm tires. Another brand’s hybrid might get you 38+ mm clearance, which would make for a far more versatile bike."

And that was his big concern...
Old 11-16-22, 09:47 AM
Entrigo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Just had a quick look, it is actually marketed as a relaxed ride. On the contrary of the Quick 1, which I have always thought to be more of a flat bar road bike. Have you compared the geometry of the two?
Likes For Entrigo:
Old 11-16-22, 09:56 AM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

I have looked at them and will post them in the thread later today.
Old 11-16-22, 10:18 AM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Here are screen shots of the specs

Old 11-16-22, 03:52 PM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Here are the raw numbers next to each other. Numbers are in MM

Old 11-17-22, 09:30 AM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

I've sat with both options and looking at the numbers helped. I'll just give the Quick 1 some love and save the difference for the Litespeed dream bike. By that time my daughter will likely be tall enough to want the Q1 to ride.

Last edited by Trav1s; 11-17-22 at 09:38 AM.
Old 12-03-22, 07:42 PM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

The Quick, along with the other bikes, are stored for the winter. If I'm lucky I get two cars in the garage. I'm still hoping to do some upgrades over the winter but that's going to wait until after the holidays.
Old 12-16-22, 08:21 AM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Not terribly relevant to the Quick 1 but I did score some legit RaceFace Chesters for $21/pair and free shipping. They could end up on the Quick to replace the blue Shimano pedals I really don't like. At thiat price I grabbed two and will swap pedals on my old Specialized S-Works M2. As we settle into central Ohio, I am reminded how much warmer winter is here than in Cedar Rapids, IA. Time to think about riding gear for winter temps in the 30s and 40s which is an entirely new concept for me.

I have no affiliation to the store but it was recommended on another forum. You can apply the 15% discount to their already low price.
https://www.framedbikes.com/?gclid=C...BoC0NYQAvD_BwE
Likes For Trav1s:
Old 12-16-22, 08:51 AM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

I've also been rethinking my winter upgrade plans. If you recall, I ordered a replacment crank... but recently realized it was not what I wanted. Fortunately the vendor allows returns within 1 year of purchase so I sent it back and got a refund. I've been reading about crank length and I'm glad I returned it. I'm playing a long game and will pick up items on sale/as the budget allows. Eventually the bike will get upgraded to the R 7000 105 crank as well as front and rear derailures. I like the bike enough to make those upgrades to it and enjoy it.

If i get brave and can figure out what is all involved, I'll use the take off parts and install a 2x11 setup on my wife's Trek Verve 3. I know she would appreciate the 105 2x11 setup as the current Alivio 3x setup does fit her riding style. Plus, these parts are in great condidtion and will last her a long time.
Old 12-17-22, 01:16 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

returned the 5800 105 crank ?
Old 12-17-22, 01:26 PM
t2p

As we settle into central Ohio, I am reminded how much warmer winter is here than in Cedar Rapids, IA. Time to think about riding gear for winter temps in the 30s and 40s which is an entirely new concept for me.
40’s I do (and recently did) - 30’s would do when I was younger but not now

3 layers - including a quality / substantial shell over a thermal layer - works for me in the 40’s

central OH is great - have a number of relatives in central OH ... maybe someday in the future I can meet you for a ‘Can Disc 1’ ride

Last edited by t2p; 12-17-22 at 01:30 PM.
Likes For t2p:
Old 12-17-22, 03:53 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 899 Times in 587 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p

better than my other Cdale hybrid - looks like a beer can ... Coors Silver Bullet !
very cool hybrid
Old 12-18-22, 05:52 AM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Originally Posted by t2p
returned the 5800 105 crank ?
Yup - It was a 52/36 and 172.5 version. In my haste I ordered the incorrect one. I was juggling too much stuff with the new job and move preparation when I ordered it. Everything I have read says the R7000 parts will work fine and the sizes available are much greater.
Likes For Trav1s:
Old 12-21-22, 07:59 PM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

I'm on a slow and steady race to purchase upgrade parts. I ordered a BBInfinite bottom bracket after leaving it in my cart and getting another $20 off discount. Opted for the ceramic bearings (overkill for sure) due to the lifetime warranty.

Not cheap but amazing quality: https://www.bbinfinite.com/products/...hoCHQ8QAvD_BwE

Last edited by Trav1s; 12-21-22 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12-22-22, 01:12 PM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

The RF Chesters arrived today but I'n not sure if they will get installed or not. If I can remove the pins then I probably will install them. Also, the BBInfinite lovely shipped today. I wonder if it will make it from Arkansas to Ohio before Christmas...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.