Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What’s your winter riding/fitness strategy?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What’s your winter riding/fitness strategy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-22, 06:55 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts
I have a cheap indoor bike and a trainer, but they get boring. I focus more on resistance training during the winter.
Old 11-12-22, 08:48 PM
Jedneck

Bikes: Quintanna roo kilo & orbea onix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 46 Posts
I commute so its 16 miles each way no mayter what the weather. Once the snow starts i use a old steel frame road bike with studded tires.
Likes For Jedneck:
Old 11-13-22, 04:48 AM
Dimago123

Bikes: Giant TCR

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
go out for shorter rides if dry and not too cold or windy. Focus on core strength, mobility, etc at home. Trainer for days I need to spin my legs 2-3 times per week. Keep the butt from forgetting the saddle

Originally Posted by rsbob
Do you-

go out in the elements and tough it out?

Use an indoor trainer or gym?

Hang it up for the season?

Cross train with other winter sports (skiing, skating, boarding, etc)?

Some combination of the above or something I didn’t think of?
Likes For Dimago123:
Old 11-13-22, 10:37 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
It took me 45 minutes to ride 2.5 miles from my house to my workplace on Friday. With a 30 MPH + gusts wind and the temperature around 18F. That seems like enough of a workout to keep me in OK shape.
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 11-13-22, 04:28 PM
kcjc

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
Getting the backside ready for the trainer. Nice and easy endurance day with slow cadence work at tempo over an average 6% simulated climbs on the first half of the ride. Breaking the 2 hour mark been a challenge this year.
Likes For kcjc:
Old 11-14-22, 09:08 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
It took me 45 minutes to ride 2.5 miles from my house to my workplace on Friday. With a 30 MPH + gusts wind and the temperature around 18F. That seems like enough of a workout to keep me in OK shape.
Sounds miserable.
Old 11-14-22, 09:20 AM
Brett A
Word.

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Orbea Oiz XCountry Bike, Specialized Roubaix, Borealis Echo Fat Bike for Winter, many others out in the barn.

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 51 Posts
I've bought and tried indoor trainers and rollers, but found that I just didn't use them. Just too boring. I live in rural New England, the two things I have done to stay somewhat in shape through the winter is to do the century a month thing, and/or get out on my fat bike. Enough people have fat bikes now that a few guys have pitched in for a trail groomer.
Old 11-14-22, 12:44 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
said hi to an elderly guy at the gym today. we've been saying hi for years but only rarely. today I asked if he was "hanging in there". he replied, "yeah got to" & "I have a quote for you: fatigue makes cowards of everyone"

I guess it means don't let being tired stop you, or something like that?

just keep pedaling, eh?
Old 11-19-22, 07:39 PM
jnbrown

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 52 Posts
Another SoCal, today it was 70 perfect for riding.
winter here is actually enjoyable as traffic and crowds are less.
Old 11-19-22, 09:03 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 5,632 Times in 2,918 Posts
That is totally insane and I salute your….uh…..dedication. Hopefully you got home in less than a minute (using that 30MPH tailwind)

Old 11-19-22, 09:04 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
That is totally insane and I salute your….uh…..dedication. Hopefully you got home in less than a minute (using that 30MPH tailwind)
Tailwinds and unicorns........perfect together.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 11-20-22, 11:57 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

I wish it always worked like that. My winter route to work goes West, then North, with the North leg being exposed to a North wind. So... about half the way was a strong cross wind, both coming and going. Even on a fat bike the leg headed south went pretty quickly.

I do commute year round by bicycle mostly to be sure that I always get a little bit of exercise every day. The right gear includes pogies on the bars, heated goggles, a warm coat, along with appropriate boots and mittens. And in addition to the fat bike there are two bikes with studded tires. I probably stay as warm as people in cars.
Old 11-20-22, 02:00 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

I wish it always worked like that. My winter route to work goes West, then North, with the North leg being exposed to a North wind. So... about half the way was a strong cross wind, both coming and going. Even on a fat bike the leg headed south went pretty quickly.

I do commute year round by bicycle mostly to be sure that I always get a little bit of exercise every day. The right gear includes pogies on the bars, heated goggles, a warm coat, along with appropriate boots and mittens. And in addition to the fat bike there are two bikes with studded tires. I probably stay as warm as people in cars.
If there was an official award of the Hard Core, you would certainly be the winner. Good for you.

Old 11-20-22, 03:12 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
People who choose indoor riding instead of riding outdoors just don't realize how rewarding it is to ride in extreme conditions. Yes it can be very hard at times but the satisfaction of completing a journey is so great it makes the effort well worth it. Indoor riding has no real experience to it. Riding outdoors is where the real experience is. It amazes me that so many people will go skiing and snow shoeing and running but they won`t go cycling during winter.
Old 11-20-22, 04:00 PM
DangerousDanR

If there was an official award of the Hard Core, you would certainly be the winner. Good for you.
There are people who ride year round in Edmonton, AB where it is often 15F colder than here in Fargo, and in Winter-peg MB, where it is often 10F colder. There is a ride from Gimli Harbour MB to Grand Marais MB. Those people are hardcore. The course is about 30 km across Lake Winnipeg.

There used to be a ride here in Fargo called the B-B-BRRR, which was a 10 km ride on the last Sunday in January. There have been close to 100 riders for the B-B-BRRR. Hopefully the B-B-BRRR will run again this year.
Old 11-22-22, 04:31 PM
Buzzzz

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Last edited by Buzzzz; 12-08-22 at 12:22 AM.
Old 11-22-22, 07:26 PM
Jedneck

Bikes: Quintanna roo kilo & orbea onix

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Buzzzz;[url=tel:22718457
22718457[/url]]Wow! Your doing great! How long does it take you to ride 16 miles?

I been comuting to my job since last June but my ride is only 4.0 miles each way, the only thing I don't like about it is that I'm not a few miles farther, but I don't think I could take 16 each way, whew! My car gets about 30 mpg so I'm not saving much money on gas/wear and tear, etc, I actually prefer to ride my bike there, I love it.
morning commute is 50-75min depending on weather n bike. Crappy weather n studds with dynohub slow me down. Homeward trip is 40-60min usually.
Old 11-23-22, 04:06 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Just keep riding, just keep riding.

I hate indoor trainers, so I tend to be out in most weathers. Although it can be pretty windy and sometimes quite cold where I live (southern UK, relatively high up) we don't get the extremes of weather that some of you have.
Old 11-23-22, 04:56 PM
Buzzzz

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Last edited by Buzzzz; 12-08-22 at 12:21 AM.
Old 11-24-22, 03:10 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Buzzzz
Today after much research I bought a pair of Schwalbe Marathon winter studded tires, I was reading some of the reviews and am pretty sure I saw yours "I ride 16 miles to work"... Hey so besides that, we also have in common that indoor trainers are boring, I have stair stepper I havn't used in about 15 years.

But anyway, I might just use my Trek FX 6 for when it's snowey after I put on the new studded tires and use my road bike when it's not, just to preserve the studs in the tires. But I read one poster say he puts them on when it's snowy and it only takes about 15 minutes..I dunno about that as the road tires I have are hard to get off.

My winter riding history is practically nonexistent, and I'm 59, been riding since a child..only dinked around with riding in snow when I was about 18 y.o.. slipped a few times. So all-though I've been riding at least 3x per week (in warm weather) until starting to commute to work (last June) I was not a winter rider, snow or no snow, I guess I was not really addicted as I am now. I'm willing to buy any gear such as a ski mask in order to continue to do so not just for commuting to work but also for leisure.

At first I thought I'd have to buy a fat bike or a mountain bike but I rode my hybrid on snow and ice last weekend to test it out, rode 15 miles without falling down so I figure with studded tires it should be pretty safe as long as I'm careful.
No, I've certainly never reviewed Marathon studded tyres. I did fit Marathons to my recumbent bike at one time and probably was riding about 16 miles to work at the time, but that was a very long time ago. I found the Marathons too slow and changed to Conti Sport Contact, I think. My commute is now 18 miles, but I hardly ever do it. Since the start of the first lock down in April 2020 nearly all my working has been at home. I'm now 66, so our ages are also quite close. I'm aiming to ride 5,000 miles this year, which I don't believe I've ever done before. Certainly not since I had a Garmin to make mileage tracking easy, which would be in 2008.

Why not buy yourself a pair of inexpensive wheels to put the winter tyres on? Then switching over would be the work of a couple of minutes. I take my hat off to you, riding in snow. I don't do it myself, but we don't get enough snow here to make it worth buying the proper tyres.
Old 11-27-22, 02:09 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 859 Times in 488 Posts
I’ve never ridden a fat bike in the snow. It looks pretty boring and slow to me. Lots of fat bike trails near me and nobody is wearing a helmet. Makes me think it’s too slow and non-technical to really worry about.

XC skiing is a better workout and probably translates better into riding fast. Just an observation I’ve seen from accomplished skiers and cyclists.

As for me, I put the skins on for the first time this year and had a 1500’ in 2 mile day. I’m struggling a little more with boot fit than I expected for brand new stuff, so I only did one lap. I’m currently shooting for 150k’ of uphill skiing this winter. Just for the fun of it.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 11-27-22, 05:32 PM
Buzzzz

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Last edited by Buzzzz; 12-08-22 at 12:19 AM.
Old 11-27-22, 06:46 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

My strategy at a whopping 68, is to do my first structured series of workouts on Zwift. After doing the FTP ramp test and some drills, undertook the first session today. It will go on for several weeks or until I succumb. Will be interesting to see if my FTP increases a bit or if I am already at my max. Regardless, it should have me in good shape for Spring.

Old 11-27-22, 10:17 PM
DangerousDanR

I really messed up this winter. First, I was hit by a car riding home Monday after work, right around 4. Stopped for a Red light. A Toyota across the intersection was in the left turn lane.

They just took off when I took off. I saw that she was going to left hook me, so I swerved on the ice and hit the car a glancing blow and didn't go down. The young lady was profusely apologetic, and seemed to be genuinely freaking out.
"Oh God... Are you OK? I didn't see you! I am so sorry..." She is going to need to get that fender repainted. I was riding 45Nrth spikes on my mountain bike.

​​​​​​Then, later in the week I was walking to the gym and I fell on some black ice. Femur was broken at the head and the neck.

And every smart a$$ remark I ever made to someone who couldn't walk but insisted they were OK came flooding over me. That and a great trauma surgeon's joke about the " non gender specific little old lady who fell and broke their hip."

What helped a lot was that one of the people who came to help was a riding buddy. So I have an offer of crutches and help if we need it. And the surgeon said I should be able to walk without pain in a week.

But it looks like I will not be able to ride on a bike until February. So if there is a B,B,B-RRR this year I will not be riding it.

Winter training will be PT every night after work including a stationary bike. Sigh

So let the second guessing and the should a could a I would a begin. Me? I just think that Shlomo the Wise was spot on: Time and chance happen to all, and All included me.
Old 11-27-22, 11:55 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

I really messed up this winter. First, I was hit by a car riding home Monday after work, right around 4. Stopped for a Red light. A Toyota across the intersection was in the left turn lane.

They just took off when I took off. I saw that she was going to left hook me, so I swerved on the ice and hit the car a glancing blow and didn't go down. The young lady was profusely apologetic, and seemed to be genuinely freaking out.
"Oh God... Are you OK? I didn't see you! I am so sorry..." She is going to need to get that fender repainted. I was riding 45Nrth spikes on my mountain bike.

​​​​​​Then, later in the week I was walking to the gym and I fell on some black ice. Femur was broken at the head and the neck.

And every smart a$$ remark I ever made to someone who couldn't walk but insisted they were OK came flooding over me. That and a great trauma surgeon's joke about the " non gender specific little old lady who fell and broke their hip."

What helped a lot was that one of the people who came to help was a riding buddy. So I have an offer of crutches and help if we need it. And the surgeon said I should be able to walk without pain in a week.

But it looks like I will not be able to ride on a bike until February. So if there is a B,B,B-RRR this year I will not be riding it.

Winter training will be PT every night after work including a stationary bike. Sigh

So let the second guessing and the should a could a I would a begin. Me? I just think that Shlomo the Wise was spot on: Time and chance happen to all, and All included me.
Yikes! What rotten luck. Best wishes for you to heal fast.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.