Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I'm baaaack.

Old 11-29-22, 06:12 PM
m.c. 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 62 Posts
Sorry to hear this, I hope you have a quick recovery.
Old 11-29-22, 11:24 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,577 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
It's unfortunate that tire sizes are printed that way - in this case 700X23C. Because the "C" refers to the rim size - 700C - not the tire size which is 23mm. The C attached to the tire size is really meaningless, and the tire size really is 700CX23. I have no idea why this is the conventional nomenclature on tires. A pet peeve of mine, but so ubiquitous nowadays (calling a tire size 23C, 25C, 28C,etc) that I just have to bite my tongue. We pedants will usually reply to such grievous errors by simply replacing 23C with 23mm rather than ***** about it.

But people know what you mean when you write 23C, meaning 23mm.
FWIW: I have a pair of some fresh & supple 700B tires hanging on a hook that someone donated to the shop because they bought the wrong size.

I don't expect to sell them any time soon. Nor do I expect a donation of a rod-braked roadster any time soon to use them on either.
Old 11-29-22, 11:58 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
I wasn't sure what other 700 wheels there were. I'm fairly limited to knowing about 700C, 650C and 650B, and the 27.5 and 29" equivalents. And whatever version of 26" are on older MTBs. It's very interesting when, in referring to a 650B tire, like on a gravel bike, they might write the tire size with a C. "I got some 650B wheels for my gravel bike and I'm rocking some 48C tires."
Old 11-30-22, 02:49 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
glad VegasJen is back. if 23's work for you (which, relatively suddenly, is no one), great. if they don't, great. thank goodness for choices.
for extra giggles, mix and match 23's and 25's on the bike, or better yet, 25's and 28's. so much fun planning for flats in that last instance...
Old 11-30-22, 06:43 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
I say "23c" because that's what's printed on the tires. I assumed it was synonymous with 23mm. Is there a difference. And for the record, the only reason I'm still running those tires is because that's what came on my bikes. When they wear out, and by that I mean cord showing, I'll try a 25 or 28c.

23c is correct, 23cm would be wrong.
I think it's a bad idea to wear these to the cord showing because they might blow out catastrophically before you get there, but it's at your risk, not mine.
Old 11-30-22, 10:05 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
Not really. It might have been me. Not sure. But it seems like getting that shifter to work correctly requires the full travel on the shift lever. 90% isn't enough to effect a shift. I have to hit the end of travel.
None of my other bikes are quite so particular.
If the issue is with the rear Shimano Brifter - Shimano Brifters are designed to be able to do a 3 cog shift for the full lever range. If it takes a full range to effect one cog shift then the cable prolly needs to be replaced and the adjustment to be tuned/made. Prolly also time to replace the front cable and adjust, of course. If the cable seems 'new' and you haven't touched the adjustments since getting the bike, it's possible the prior owner didn't know what they were doing.
Normally a cable replacement and adjustment is a DIY thing, but for those who don't have the knowledge/skill or are hamfisted - best to have a shop do the work.
If 23c is a problem, move to 25c , same performance, a bit more tire on the road.
Bike Handling skills don;t magically happen. It's takes awareness, knowledge of how to handle a situation and good execution.
One should never be 'surprised' by road conditions. Alert awareness is easy, but often difficult to keep attention to. Not adapting to changes in your riding interface is a basic flaw.
Rain, standing water, sand, road snakes, potholes/chunking, a wheel overlap with a rider in front of you, the list of possible issues is ongoing.
We all make mistakes, lose attention at times. The key is to minimize this as much as possible and know how to handle and have the skills needed to handle...
Riding a bike is NOT about plowing ahead as fast as you can, oblivious. The journey is greatly determined by the process.
Ride On
Yuri