Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What is the best smarwatch can be used as a cycling computer

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-20, 10:20 AM
CuMMaN

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Hi everybody, I am looking for a smartwatch which I can use as a cycling computer as well. I want to start my ride with a button click and it will auto sync to strava. I don't want to install strava and start like in samsung watch. I want something like lezyne cycling computers. I will mount the watch to my bicycle, start the ride with a button and it will sync automatically after I finish the ride. Is there any smartwatch like that in the market? If there are multiple options, which one do you suggest?
Thank you
Old 08-12-20, 10:25 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
gamin is the best choice. though you don't get your heart rate with it on the bars. with the garmin you can get one that will connect to cadence speed and heart rate sensors. this guy is what I wear it to get my heart rate. I use it to pump heart rate to my bike computer https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1 it records my cadence too
Old 08-12-20, 11:07 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
I looked at a lot, ended up going "dedicated device" instead of watch. Garmin 130 Plus, about the size of an Oreo. Quite pleased with it. I use it with my iPhone in my back pocket and a Polar H10 HR strap. Does sync to Strava, but I fell "outta love" with Strava about a year ago.
Old 08-12-20, 11:11 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
I have a Garmin Vivo Active 3 that does all that very well. it seemed dead simple for me to sync it up with Strava and stuff. you have a wear it on your wrist so it can measure heart rate if you want that data. you can also install third party apps like Dynamic Maps to turn it into an unoffical turn-by-turn nav computer. there's a learning curve to it just like any other technology.
unfortunately, there's always an extra step, so you're just going to have to change your expectations and get used to that. here's how I log a ride:
1. click button on watch. GPS fires up in about ten seconds and I click it again to start.
2. ride, observe data on watch face. if someone texts me during a ride, my phone sends the message to my watch face so I don't have to stop and dig the phone out of my pack/ pocket.
3. finish ride, click button on side of watch. tap "save" button. watch goes back to regular watch mode.
4. when I put my bike away, I open the Garmin Connect app in my phone and the app automatically syncs my ride data in Connect. Connect can also be linked to several other services like Strava. Connect automatically loads my data to Strava within a few minutes.

Last edited by mack_turtle; 08-12-20 at 11:15 AM.
Likes For mack_turtle:
Old 08-12-20, 11:20 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 674 Posts
I use the Garmin 6X which is amazing, upgraded from the 3HR. Has all the features of the most advanced cycle computers including built-in maps and routing.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 08-12-20, 11:26 AM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
I use Garmin but not alone as is. I pair it with my Garmin edge 1030 and they work together.
Old 08-12-20, 12:29 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by velopig
I use the Garmin 6X which is amazing, upgraded from the 3HR. Has all the features of the most advanced cycle computers including built-in maps and routing.
The best any kind of consumer good is usually one of the more expensive ones of its kind. Case in point, the 6X is one of the best cycling computer watches available, you could buy 3 Vivoactives for the same price. It's a different question what's the best for somebody given the way they ride. If the OP wants to give some more detail, I'm sure people can give much better suggestions. We don't know your budget, if you need to connect to a power meter, etc.

That said, @velopig, I use a F6X too, absolutely love it. Agree it has basically everything feature wise, and it's also useful for hiking, skiing, swimming, etc. Without any qualifications, that's my advice too.
Old 08-12-20, 12:38 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
Best depends too much on things that are too subjective.

As for smart watches or anything on my wrist, I wouldn't want to have to take my eyes that far off the road to look, much less take a hand off the bar at certain times when I might want to glance at speed or such. Out front mounts put that information in a better position for me to see.

But what "best" for me isn't necessarily "best" for you.
Old 08-12-20, 01:06 PM
jrobe

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
I couldn't find any "all in one" solution that I loved so I use a Garmin bike computer with an Apple watch and record on both of them.
Old 08-12-20, 01:17 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
One of the nice things about the current crop of watches is that they've got pretty decent HRMs built in, but that's thrown out of the window when you mount it on your bike. So... why a watch, then?

I mean, that's what I did for my first "cycling computer," - I bought a Garmin 310XT and got a stem mount. It was totally dumb, though - I should have just gotten an EDGE unit, instead.

If you do want to go with a watch, the other thing that you'll want to consider is connectivity - some will pair to a cadence sensor. Few will pair with a power meter.
Old 08-12-20, 01:23 PM
Joearch

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV Disc Ultegra

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 31 Posts
I use my Apple watch that is connected to my Iphone running the Map my ride app. Seems to work okay but still have to touch the watch if I need info mid ride.
Old 08-12-20, 03:48 PM
CuMMaN

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thank you for your answers. By the best, I mean best price performance. I would say something around $300-$400
Old 08-12-20, 03:52 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Still, why a watch? The 945 is an amazing watch but it's utter overkill for your use, and you can get everything you need from an Edge 130. Or a Wahoo Bolt. And they'd cost less, and do what you're talking about. Can you elaborate on your specific goals?
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 08-12-20, 04:00 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Still, why a watch? The 945 is an amazing watch but it's utter overkill for your use, and you can get everything you need from an Edge 130. Or a Wahoo Bolt. And they'd cost less, and do what you're talking about. Can you elaborate on your specific goals?
And they'd still need to pop for an HRM if they want to mount the watch on the bike.
Old 08-12-20, 04:07 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by WhyFi
And they'd still need to pop for an HRM if they want to mount the watch on the bike.
My experience is that there's no way I'd trust the OHR while cycling; I tried that briefly and it was an absolute no-go.

But still, it sounds like the OP heard about a smartwatch being used as a cyclocomputer instead of a phone and isn't aware that there are yet-better devices, but then doesn't want to hear about them. Ah well.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 08-12-20, 04:12 PM
CuMMaN

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I want a watch because I want to use it with my other activities as well. I though this would be easier and cost affective.
Old 08-12-20, 04:26 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by Joearch
I use my Apple watch that is connected to my Iphone running the Map my ride app. Seems to work okay but still have to touch the watch if I need info mid ride.
I kept killing the battery on mine. the apple watch does ok on recording but not a huge amount of detail and the heart rate is only every minute.
Old 08-12-20, 04:42 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by CuMMaN
I want a watch because I want to use it with my other activities as well. I though this would be easier and cost affective.
That helps considerably. Which activities? The 945 is the clear leader in the clubhouse then, for me.
Old 08-12-20, 04:45 PM
Seattle Forrest

My experience is that there's no way I'd trust the OHR while cycling; I tried that briefly and it was an absolute no-go.

But still, it sounds like the OP heard about a smartwatch being used as a cyclocomputer instead of a phone and isn't aware that there are yet-better devices, but then doesn't want to hear about them. Ah well.
Sometimes the OHR in my Fenix is plausible on the bike, sometimes it's obviously way off. I never know which one it's going to be, if I did I'd only wear the chest strap when the watch was going to get it wrong. So, yeah, not really useful. I have several chest straps, they're cheap.
Old 08-12-20, 04:45 PM
Seattle Forrest

That helps considerably. Which activities? The 945 is the clear leader in the clubhouse then, for me.
lol my Fenix can beat up your Forerunner.
Old 08-12-20, 04:56 PM
Joearch

Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
I kept killing the battery on mine. the apple watch does ok on recording but not a huge amount of detail and the heart rate is only every minute.
I am keeping it simple for now. Map my ride is a fairly basic app. Not sure how to get a current speed.
Old 08-12-20, 04:57 PM
CuMMaN

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I cycle, run, ski, hike, swim, paddleboard, surf etc. I am in between Garmin 945 and Garmin Fenix 5X sapphire.
Old 08-12-20, 06:06 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
lol my Fenix can beat up your Forerunner.
Fenixes are cute; my wife has one.
Old 08-12-20, 06:11 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by Joearch
I am keeping it simple for now. Map my ride is a fairly basic app. Not sure how to get a current speed.
I tried the apple watch app and stravia both were not super accurate they don't even agree with each other if you run them both at the same time.
Old 08-12-20, 06:15 PM
Joearch

Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
I tried the apple watch app and stravia both were not super accurate they don't even agree with each other if you run them both at the same time.
I use the Map My Ride app on the Iphone and it also shows on the apple watch. They seem to be on the same page when I compare. Since I already have both and not competing the general info is fine for my needs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.