Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Zwift is really just its own sport

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-28-20, 10:10 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts

/www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/pros-explain-why-crush-road-205400224.html

Now you have an excuse.
Old 08-28-20, 10:22 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
These two statements don't seem to complement each other very well. 5w/kg for 5min literally sounds like it should be nothing for a P/1/2 rider. To podium a P/1/2 TT race I would damn hope you could hold 5wk/g for a full 10 mile time trial.

Especially since those C riders doing that likely got bumped from official results anyway.

Sure, 5w/kg isn't "easy". But if I can do it.........he damn well should be able to do it. Multiple times.

“I can sit in most regional Pro-1-2 USAC races just fine as a 46-year-old Cat 2. Very good at TT. Have podiumed in CA state TT in the Pro1/2 race.”

In Zwift, it was another story, he wrote, “I’m fairly awful. I sometimes struggle to hang with a “C” race –even C races have guys who’ll do ~5W/kg for four to five minutes, which isn’t easy for me.

Last edited by burnthesheep; 08-28-20 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-28-20, 10:55 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
In other news, I watched a couple of Navy SEALs get obliterated playing CoD against a pair of pro gamers. The SEALs couldn't get their heads around being able to just jump off the roofs of buildings, or having unlimited lives.

As a gross generalization, Zwifting is to road racing what playing professional CoD is to being a Navy SEAL.
Old 08-28-20, 11:01 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by popeye
/www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/pros-explain-why-crush-road-205400224.html

Now you have an excuse.
Yeah man. That's why I'm a Cat 1 in real life and was getting dropped in the Cs on Zwift. Gotta approach it as its own thing with its own "rules" and "strategies."
Old 08-28-20, 11:06 AM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
These two statements don't seem to complement each other very well. 5w/kg for 5min literally sounds like it should be nothing for a P/1/2 rider. To podium a P/1/2 TT race I would damn hope you could hold 5wk/g for a full 10 mile time trial.

Especially since those C riders doing that likely got bumped from official results anyway.

Sure, 5w/kg isn't "easy". But if I can do it.........he damn well should be able to do it. Multiple times.

“I can sit in most regional Pro-1-2 USAC races just fine as a 46-year-old Cat 2. Very good at TT. Have podiumed in CA state TT in the Pro1/2 race.”

In Zwift, it was another story, he wrote, “I’m fairly awful. I sometimes struggle to hang with a “C” race –even C races have guys who’ll do ~5W/kg for four to five minutes, which isn’t easy for me.
P/1/2 time trialing is its own thing, and I don't think most would consider it "racing" in the same vein as actual mass-start racing, and with enough attention to detail, it's certainly possible to ride very quickly on relatively little watts (27+ on 300w isn't unheard of around here).

And in mass start racing, you can do a whole lot if you've got the skills and experience. I'm not surprised by the 5w/kg for 5 minute thing, honestly. It's certainly not "nothing", and for an overweight Cat 2 who's been racing for 20 years and can still find the podium, it may indeed be something. Most road races and all crits where I live do not require five minute efforts; they require lots of shorter, more variable efforts. You can certainly do well without superb fitness if you know how.

This is the difference between training and racing. All that matters in racing is results.

Last edited by rubiksoval; 08-28-20 at 11:10 AM.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 08-29-20, 06:41 AM
Athens80

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
What they've figured out:
  • Warm Up Well
  • Trust Your Numbers
  • Stay Vigilant in the Draft
  • Punch Over the Crest of Climbs
  • Maintain Your Position in the Pack
  • Use Fan View
  • Play Those PowerUps
  • Dial In Your Set-Up
Likes For Athens80:
Old 08-29-20, 08:41 AM
rubiksoval

I wish they'd get rid of powerups in races. Super dumb.
Old 08-29-20, 08:53 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11393 Post(s)
Liked 4,729 Times in 2,756 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
I wish they'd get rid of powerups in races. Super dumb.
Why shouldn't racing a crit in your garage have something like that?
Old 08-29-20, 09:57 AM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
I use Sufferlandria.
Old 08-29-20, 01:51 PM
rubiksoval

If they are going to use it, they should at least include banana peels or turtle shells or something interesting.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 08-29-20, 04:00 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I would agree then. I have no experience. Period. I mean, enough races to count on a single hand "on road" counts as no experience. So my power isn't utilized well.

TT wise, I can see that also. If he's a bit bigger then maybe it's a solid amount of watts for his TT's. A larger weight times a little smaller w/kg is still a pretty big number.
Old 08-30-20, 02:05 PM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Been on since Beta and kind of agree with this. The challenge with Zwift racing is strategy wise it's almost the inverse of live.

Pretty much every Zwift race I've ridden the big selection is the first 3 minutes. Miss that and you are racing for 10th. My opinion it's that the draft model being no where close to live that makes this a viable strategy. Even in double draft races. Live racing that's not a play, everybody fresh is just gonna sit in. So I think to some degree a lot of experience live racing works against you.
Old 08-30-20, 08:00 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by Athens80
Having done only a few Zwift races I can absolutely agree with all of these. I was in the lead pack in a B group race on my favorite course and didn't push over the top of a hill (the only real hill) and of the 20 people in the front, 12 took off and eight of us were left to reform. I took no more than a few seconds recovery but that was enough and I had to put power back on the pedals.