Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Can we talk about the this Rivendell Hillibike thing?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Can we talk about the this Rivendell Hillibike thing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-21, 02:16 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 990 Times in 522 Posts
I like flat bars but want a bit of sweep. My dirt motorcycle has the right amount of sweep, now to find bicycle bars like them.
I also like a longer chain stay, it smooths the road.
While Grant and Jan both have great ideas, I do not drink their kool aid. I do like gugie's flavor.
Likes For bwilli88:
Old 01-28-21, 04:12 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
As an '85 Trek 620 owner (47cm CS)--and past owner of a Specialized Expedition (45cm CS) and various Cannondale ST's (46cm CS)--I "get" the long chain stay thing. How long is eventually too long? I don't know.

GP and Riv: "These bikes are meant for hilly terrain!"

Also GP and Riv: "We always need to walk our bikes up hills!"

The bikes, as usual, have hideous proportions (to me) and really stupid names (to me). I rode a custom Riv a few weeks ago--like a Roadeo but with canti brakes and a single bottle cage boss (LOL). Nicely made and painted, stupid wide Nitto Noodles, low-yet-narrow "modern" gearing (aka spinning out at 15 mph). It was quite playful when out of the saddle (which I really liked), but the hip ultra mega low trail front end was a bit weird. But hey, I'm just some normie bike dude that always has the hots for race bikes and non seizure-level-inducing cringeworthy names. I'm not their target market. People like them. It's their money. I'll let them be super happy with their bikes, and I'll be more than happy to buy more race bikes.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 01-28-21, 04:20 PM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 186 Posts
I like reading Grant's writing and his ideas about bike design. At this point in my life, I choose not to afford one of his bikes but I do look for ways to adapt his ideas in a more affordable way. It has worked fairly well for me.
Old 01-28-21, 10:27 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Makes sense for people like me with zero off-road skills. But my early 2000s Globe Carmel already covers this. I mostly use it as an errand bike but it's remarkably capable off pavement. Long wheelbase (I have to splice chains to install a new chain), simple spring suspension fork, sorta compact frame with sloping top tube. I haven't ridden it for awhile but it was always easy to ride. Just a bit heavy at around 35 lbs.
Old 01-28-21, 10:47 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,395 Times in 2,092 Posts
"What is a Hillibike?"
"Any bike you can ride up a Hilli."

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 01-29-21, 12:23 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I like the marketing a lot better than the thought of actually riding one.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 01-29-21, 07:08 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,690 Times in 2,610 Posts
I think they’re the bikes you walk to the top of the hill, then take a nice photo of the view, post to social media, then coast back to the bottom.
Old 01-29-21, 09:22 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
I got to say that I had fun tooling around on a Surly Big Dummy before it got 40 pounds of racks and kid gear bolted on. Its the only bike I've ever ridden with disk brakes, but I think it was more of the long wheel base that let me do 2 wheel drifts on small gravel.
Old 01-29-21, 09:41 AM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 179 Posts
Memo to Grant.

Bring back the XO-1 and stop with all the Hill Bikes. Riv has 3 or 4 versions, but they all seem the same to me.
Old 01-29-21, 10:51 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 620 Posts
Been following Grant's bikes since the Bridgestone days, and really enjoyed my MB-3 from circa 1987. I thought/think Bridgestones were as well made as any production bike and their US presence's fate was sealed by not adopting indexed shifting.These Riv's seem to be extensions of those bikes, just too expensive. His concept of producing bikes not designed like the pros ride is consistent with mine.
Old 01-29-21, 11:07 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
Originally Posted by bwilli88
I like flat bars but want a bit of sweep. My dirt motorcycle has the right amount of sweep, now to find bicycle bars like them.
While Grant and Jan both have great ideas, I do not drink their kool aid. I do like gugie's flavor.
bwilli88 check out the Velo orange postino.... bit of sweep

Old 01-29-21, 12:54 PM
hsuBM
jj

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
bwilli88 check out the Velo orange postino.... bit of sweep

have these, they have way more sweep than a motocross/enduro handlebar. They’re about 45 degrees. Doable in the trails, but not ideal.

Last edited by hsuBM; 01-29-21 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-29-21, 01:55 PM
acm

Bikes: '84 Centurion Pro Tour 15; '97 Cannondale M900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 20 Posts
Breaking News: Grant Petersen designs divisive bicycle that nobody on the thread has ridden, but has vocal opinions about anyway
Old 01-29-21, 02:50 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Fake News Alert:
Originally Posted by acm
Breaking News: Grant Petersen designs divisive bicycle that nobody on the thread has ridden, but has vocal opinions about anyway
Got anything constructive to add, or are you another candle drawn moth?

On second thought carry on, it cant be a true GP thread with out meta commentary on the meta commentary....
Likes For bark_eater:
Old 01-29-21, 02:56 PM
acm

Bikes: '84 Centurion Pro Tour 15; '97 Cannondale M900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater
Fake News Alert:

Got anything constructive to add, or are you another candle drawn moth?

On second thought carry on, it cant be a true GP thread with out meta commentary on the meta commentary....

If I'm wrong tell me why, otherwise move along
Old 01-29-21, 03:05 PM
bark_eater 

Originally Posted by hsuBM
have these, they have way more sweep than a motocross/enduro handlebar. They’re about 45 degrees. Doable in the trails, but not ideal.
Rivendell has a "Wavie bar", I haven't found a sweep spec for it yet.
Old 01-29-21, 03:11 PM
bark_eater 

Originally Posted by acm
If I'm wrong tell me why, otherwise move along
That's always the second thing that I say when I enter a conversation with a critique of the conversation.

Can we go back to interpreting Mr. Petersons cleverness now, please.
Old 01-29-21, 05:31 PM
nlerner

Originally Posted by Kobe
Memo to Grant.

Bring back the XO-1 and stop with all the Hill Bikes. Riv has 3 or 4 versions, but they all seem the same to me.
Handsome Cycles has you covered:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...s-xoxo-bicycle
Old 01-29-21, 06:56 PM
IsleRide

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
The Handsome Cycles XOXO looks like the real deal.

I've long been following Grant's many interpretations of what a bicycle should be. There was that one Rivendell Reader maybe 18 years ago where they tried to put fenders on a hardcore racing bike when I had to look away. (fenders OVER the brake bridge, that was ridiculous!!) I even wrote in to protest and was met with a double-downed pushback in defense.

For my type of road riding, low bottom brackets, higher bars, plumper tires, return to bar ends, all made a lot of sense to me and my aging body. Always wanted a "Long Low" and finally built an older Rambouillet frameset in 2017 into my dream road bike. I'd probably put a Brooks saddle on my mower if I could.

Late 2019 I took a chance on close out pricing on an Appaloosa which simply became the new frame for me to hang the components from my Surly LHT on. The Surly was a little dull but the Appaloosa is anything but. The long wheelbase is smooth and the handling is surprising for such a beast. The lugs and paintwork are icing on the cake. My Rivs are simply gorgeous.

Hillibikes? Now, about them I'm not so sure. Maybe if I was a Western trail rider. Maybe if I felt I needed a "step through". Probably not ever for me.
I'm happy with my Grant inspired road bikes. Maybe Grant is hedging his bets. Sam Hillbornes and Atlantises are still available (with longer chain stays) I believe there's also new shipments of "Roadinis" coming in that will carry on the old Riv drop bar aesthetic.
Old 01-29-21, 07:56 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
I would advise anybody who doesn't have a bike and wants a NEW bike and has plenty of money for a NEW bike, to visit Grant's place and buy the bike that Grant selects for them. I have given that advise but as yet, nobody yet has followed it.

Last edited by Classtime; 01-29-21 at 08:12 PM.
Old 01-29-21, 08:02 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
Originally Posted by IsleRide
The Handsome Cycles XOXO looks like the real deal.

I've long been following Grant's many interpretations of what a bicycle should be. There was that one Rivendell Reader maybe 18 years ago where they tried to put fenders on a hardcore racing bike when I had to look away. (fenders OVER the brake bridge, that was ridiculous!!) I even wrote in to protest and was met with a double-downed pushback in defense.

For my type of road riding, low bottom brackets, higher bars, plumper tires, return to bar ends, all made a lot of sense to me and my aging body. Always wanted a "Long Low" and finally built an older Rambouillet frameset in 2017 into my dream road bike. I'd probably put a Brooks saddle on my mower if I could.

Late 2019 I took a chance on close out pricing on an Appaloosa which simply became the new frame for me to hang the components from my Surly LHT on. The Surly was a little dull but the Appaloosa is anything but. The long wheelbase is smooth and the handling is surprising for such a beast. The lugs and paintwork are icing on the cake. My Rivs are simply gorgeous.

Hillibikes? Now, about them I'm not so sure. Maybe if I was a Western trail rider. Maybe if I felt I needed a "step through". Probably not ever for me.
I'm happy with my Grant inspired road bikes. Maybe Grant is hedging his bets. Sam Hillbornes and Atlantises are still available (with longer chain stays) I believe there's also new shipments of "Roadinis" coming in that will carry on the old Riv drop bar aesthetic.
it seems that anyone who actually has a rivendell likes them

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 01-29-21, 08:08 PM
hsuBM
jj

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by bwilli88
the closest that I’ve had first hand experience with that comes close to either the OEM or Renthal replacement bars on my YZ250 I had BITD is the Bullmoose bar. I remember seeing MTB bars in the 00s that looked similar minus the crossbrace (~2” of rise and ~10 degrees of sweep), but I never rode them as I was very suspension-on-a-bicycle-averse.

I’d love to see the results of a thread you start on this topic with pics of your motorcycle bars which you’d like duplicated.
Old 01-29-21, 08:19 PM
nlerner

Originally Posted by squirtdad
it seems that anyone who actually has a rivendell likes them
I had a Romulus for several years and rode it a lot, including lots of long rides (200-300k). It was super comfortable, fairly neutral in its handling, but not the lightest thing out there, which didn’t make me look forward to those last few climbs. It got replaced by a Black Mountain Cycles Road. However, last year, during a too-good-to-resist sale, I bought a Roadini and built it up with bits taken from a something I had sold off as a frameset:

Overall, I feel like it rides a lot like the Romulus!
Likes For nlerner:
Old 01-30-21, 12:47 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
I would advise anybody who doesn't have a bike and wants a NEW bike and has plenty of money for a NEW bike, to visit Grant's place and buy the bike that Grant selects for them. I have given that advise but as yet, nobody yet has followed it.
I've got a couture Rodriguez.
500mm chainstays, 69.5 degrees head tube angle, low bottom bracket, & 26 inch wheels. It works well enough. At 1100mm long it tracks with surgical precision & between 56 & 65 mm of trail depending on tire selection the steering is reasonably light. It's great on fire roads & gravel centuries...It's like riding a bike with all the cheat codes enabled. The only downside is it's one of the most boring bikes I own when ridden unloaded. The trade off is carrying 65 pounds or more of groceries & frozen goods (!) isn't really a concern & happens with out incident. The bike below is named Bessie The Planet Express Ship on account of it's freighter like nature.

And in a slightly different incarnation...

I think GP would be proud...Heck, I even stretched a 1974 Schwinn Varsity a few inches....But I have no use for his opinion & still stand by my skepticism of the "Hillibike" poo. He's tryin' to church-up a bunch of surfer'-hippy-counter-culture-b.s. that at this point rings of manufactured nostalgia. It's as if he thinks an entire industry suffers from group think & he, & he alone is the only one with a vision of true reality. My kids 1989 Peugeot Montreal Express
And his1985 Pugeot Orient Express ride every bit as good as any Grant Peterson inspired anything & cost 1/16, (even after overhaul) of what the Rodriguez did.

Last edited by base2; 01-30-21 at 12:53 AM.
Likes For base2:
Old 01-30-21, 08:46 AM
morri869 

Bikes: 1984 Lotus Classique, 1996 Cannondale T700

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 68 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
I've got a couture Rodriguez.
500mm chainstays, 69.5 degrees head tube angle, low bottom bracket, & 26 inch wheels. It works well enough. At 1100mm long it tracks with surgical precision & between 56 & 65 mm of trail depending on tire selection the steering is reasonably light. It's great on fire roads & gravel centuries...It's like riding a bike with all the cheat codes enabled. The only downside is it's one of the most boring bikes I own when ridden unloaded. The trade off is carrying 65 pounds or more of groceries & frozen goods (!) isn't really a concern & happens with out incident. The bike below is named Bessie The Planet Express Ship on account of it's freighter like nature.

And in a slightly different incarnation...

I think GP would be proud...Heck, I even stretched a 1974 Schwinn Varsity a few inches....But I have no use for his opinion & still stand by my skepticism of the "Hillibike" poo. He's tryin' to church-up a bunch of surfer'-hippy-counter-culture-b.s. that at this point rings of manufactured nostalgia. It's as if he thinks an entire industry suffers from group think & he, & he alone is the only one with a vision of true reality. My kids 1989 Peugeot Montreal Express
And his1985 Pugeot Orient Express ride every bit as good as any Grant Peterson inspired anything & cost 1/16, (even after overhaul) of what the Rodriguez did.
Wow that has to be the nicest riding schwinn varsity that ever existed. Great work!
Likes For morri869:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.