Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1981 - What would have been the most popular racing Saddles?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1981 - What would have been the most popular racing Saddles?

Old 08-23-21, 11:28 AM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by ShannonM
Turbos don't suck. So little do they suck that I don't think I've ever met anyone who had a worse opinion of them than "not my favorite, but it's OK." And they're available everywhere and they're cheap and they're period correct for your bike..
I put an old one that I had stashed away for decades on an Eroica bike, and was blown away at how comfortable it was. I went to the Selle Italia Flite after the Turbos, but truth be told, besides the weight issue, the Turbo is a fantastic saddle. The suede ones feel different than the smooth ones in use. I think that I prefer the smooth ones.
Likes For Erzulis Boat:
Old 08-23-21, 11:49 AM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked 2,958 Times in 1,491 Posts
turbo/

stick with what's on it especially if its the alloy rail edition.Sella Italia ?Turbo Superleggera SLG Bernard Hinault?, beige sued leather saddle (NOS/NIB) | velociao
Likes For '02 nrs:
Old 08-23-21, 12:03 PM
La Brea Bike

Bikes: 02 Litespeed Ultimate, 84 & 85 Raleigh Grand Prix, '84 Raleigh Prestige, 85 Raleigh 555 RSL, '20 Raleigh Tamland, 38 Raleigh, 85 Landshark "Raleigh", '84 Marinoni Levi's Raleigh, SB4484, SB7979, Raleigh SSCXWC, 87 Raleigh USA 531 Prototype

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by '02 nrs
I do like the look, but think this is a little later than '81. Also on the pictures, I would expect that the saddle would have been visible if it had been white (eh, maybe not).

Last edited by La Brea Bike; 08-23-21 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-23-21, 12:15 PM
afm199

Bikes: Trek Madone, 2012, Trek Kronos CX Ultimate, 2012

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
I was racing back then, it was Turbo or Concor. Today Concor is known as Selle.
Likes For afm199:
Old 08-23-21, 12:29 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1822 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,572 Posts
Originally Posted by La Brea Bike
I've decided on the Concur for this one for sure. I'm fan of the Turbo for the later stuff!
holy cow!
I think you've got more nice Raleighs than I have Raleigh jerseys!

the two with the SRC logos might be my favorites, since I went to college in Ames, IA, where the SRC was nominally headquartered.

do I get to count the Michael's Cyclery sweatshirt too?

Steve in Peoria, with fond memories of Ames and Michael's Cyclery (especially of when they were located on the corner)
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 08-23-21, 01:00 PM
La Brea Bike

Bikes: 02 Litespeed Ultimate, 84 & 85 Raleigh Grand Prix, '84 Raleigh Prestige, 85 Raleigh 555 RSL, '20 Raleigh Tamland, 38 Raleigh, 85 Landshark "Raleigh", '84 Marinoni Levi's Raleigh, SB4484, SB7979, Raleigh SSCXWC, 87 Raleigh USA 531 Prototype

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
holy cow!
I think you've got more nice Raleighs than I have Raleigh jerseys!

the two with the SRC logos might be my favorites, since I went to college in Ames, IA, where the SRC was nominally headquartered.

do I get to count the Michael's Cyclery sweatshirt too?

Steve in Peoria, with fond memories of Ames and Michael's Cyclery (especially of when they were located on the corner)
Oh yeah! Did you get some new ones? I don't remember you had that many! My wife would be more than happy to have us swap collections 😁 (seriously, she's going to kill me in my sleep some night).
Old 08-23-21, 01:01 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4782 Post(s)
Liked 3,899 Times in 2,536 Posts
The standard Selle Italias were raced by a lot of people (under a bunch of different labels. I raced the Avocet III starting in 1976. (Ergal rails for a little more comfort on New England roads.) I had/still have a broken tailbone. Tried the turbo and the curled up tail was torture.

If you want basically that seat (pre Turbo) but modern day comfort, try a Terry Fly. Very little difference save the cutout (and the light ones use a stronger titanium rail). Made in Italy. I was told years ago by Sella Italia and have no reason to doubt it. Very, very well made seats.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 08-23-21, 04:52 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1822 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,572 Posts
Oh yeah! Did you get some new ones? I don't remember you had that many! My wife would be more than happy to have us swap collections 😁 (seriously, she's going to kill me in my sleep some night).
I've had these jerseys for quite a while.. probably between 10 and 20 years. There's just not many times when it's appropriate to show them all at once.
It's still a lot of jerseys, and the wool blend ones don't get a lot of use.
The good thing is that they take up less space than a bike!

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 08-23-21, 07:19 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Erzulis Boat
The Brooks was old hat even back then. The most common for the racer set was the Turbo and the Concor. I prefer the Turbo, as the Concor has that upturned "lip" on the back that always forced me into a fixed position. The flattish top of the Turbo gave me more room to scoot around.
You cannot re-write history here. Putting an extremely heavy Brooks on a "racer" of that era is fine, but one cannot pretend that it is period correct. You have to remember that we were young back then and weighed a LOT less than we do now, and there was no reason to run a Brooks. We could ride on a wooden plank and be fine.
I was in the race scene back then, and the Brooks saddle wasn't even in the conversation.
Ditto on the east coast. 80-81, racing ... - majority were SSM Concors or SI Turbo. There were still some who used the unicanitors, some avocets,
There were even a few leftover 'cool seat'... LOL . I had one for a while, until one of the 'flow' pockets blew... LOL! Flow came from ski boot design, sortta like gel, but more like a firm putty...
I preferred the Turbo and rode my last one well into 2010, when the cover finally disintegrated, Also, late 70's early 80's used and liked the avocet racing saddles, still have one on my softride.
Concor - tried, but no likie... ass-hatchet for me, rounded, too narrow for my bones and the lip ... just not my cuppa.
SSM Rolls was a very comfy and nice saddle, but way heavy - but the bling saddle for the garage queen....
Was required to use Fuji saddles in the Mid to later 70's - same design as the Unicanitor, just the Fuji version...
Flite, SSM Strada and especially the SSM Regale came out in mid-80s and all were really, really nice, after the turbos disintegrated... Still have a few good Strada saddles - comfy for an all-day ride, for sure...
Thx
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 08-23-21, 08:41 PM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
I have an 81 Team Pro that came with a Cinelli Unicantor which I believe was original, It's well worn but not trashed. My butt didn't care for it so I'd be happy to donate it if it suits your need. LMK if you think you might be interested and I'll see if I can post a few pix.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 08-23-21, 09:35 PM
La Brea Bike

Originally Posted by jon c.
I have an 81 Team Pro that came with a Cinelli Unicantor which I believe was original, It's well worn but not trashed. My butt didn't care for it so I'd be happy to donate it if it suits your need. LMK if you think you might be interested and I'll see if I can post a few pix.
Wow, Thanks! I really appreciate the offer! I did order a Concor on Ebay, however.
Old 08-23-21, 11:30 PM
sincos

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
Concor - tried, but no likie... ass-hatchet for me, rounded, too narrow for my bones and the lip ... just not my cuppa.
SSM Rolls was a very comfy and nice saddle, but way heavy - but the bling saddle for the garage queen....
Just weighed the Rolls -- 364 g. My titanium-railed Turbo is 278 g, IIRC the regular Turbo was around 320 g, comparable to the Concor (which I also hate). So the Rolls is heavier, but hardly way heavier.

Of course modern saddles are lighter still -- the current Turbo is specced at 280g, my steel-rail Fabric Line Shallow Elite (what kind of name is that??) is 249g, and it's easy to find saddles < 200g.
Likes For sincos:
Old 08-24-21, 01:38 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 532 Posts
Styling of saddles in the early 80's definitely played big part in their popularity, just as much as comfort did.
As if the Turbo wasn't good enough, Selle Italia upped the ante by offering it with perforated leather covering that made it look so classy. I treasure the white one I presently have on my Peugeot PY10FC.
Perforated leather covers were reintroduced on some reissued saddles not too long ago, but for some reason, they just did not look as good as they used to. I think it has something that has to do with the size and spacing of the perforations on the reissued saddles and the way the leather and perforations do not seem to stretch and contort to follow the contours of the saddle the way the old ones did, which somehow better accentuated the saddle's shapes
The Rolls saddle looks surprisingly very similar at first glance, to the Turbo, but its slightly flatter and wider rear section somehow does not make it look as good as the Turbo. The difference might be subtle, but the Turbo just seems to have a more perfect shape and proportions.
The Selle San Marco Concor was definitely more stylish, but it has a more severe look to it that was a love it or hate it situation with cyclist. They did offer the aero "Profil" version of the saddle as a follow up (I think as a counterpoint to the then, surging popularity of the Turbo.) to the original, but I found that one a bit too odd looking (As I suspect many other cyclist did back then.), with its unusual, closed bottom skirt with its kinda tacky looking chrome script and rib at its bottom. The Turbo on the other hand, seems to be more universally liked and "approachable"....... coinciddntally, just like how Brooks just got it similarly right with their Pro saddle, a generation earlier.
JMOs......
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Likes For Chombi1:
Old 08-24-21, 09:54 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Originally Posted by sincos
Just weighed the Rolls -- 364 g. My titanium-railed Turbo is 278 g, IIRC the regular Turbo was around 320 g, comparable to the Concor (which I also hate). So the Rolls is heavier, but hardly way heavier.

Of course modern saddles are lighter still -- the current Turbo is specced at 280g, my steel-rail Fabric Line Shallow Elite (what kind of name is that??) is 249g, and it's easy to find saddles < 200g.
LOL!
you obviously were not of the generation that 'drilled' everything to save a few g - drill those brake levers !!!! 40g - HUGE !!! LOL!
seriously though, the Rolls is a very nice saddle - certainly lasted longer/better than the turbo... I was replacing 'turbo saddles almost every 1 1/2 yrs because the leather cover would disintegrate, course I was averaging 14K+ mi/yr - in the 'east' and winter...
you've prodded me to weight my saddles again (for fun...), still have 2 pristine Buffalo Rolls, a Turbo somewhere, a bunch of various Stradas, and numerous Spec newer saddles.
when I have an open minute - which is almost never... LOL
Thx
Yuri
Old 08-24-21, 10:38 AM
La Brea Bike

Originally Posted by cyclezen
you've prodded me to weight my saddles again (for fun...
That would be a cool post!
Old 08-24-21, 11:20 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by ShannonM
Turbos don't suck. So little do they suck that I don't think I've ever met anyone who had a worse opinion of them than "not my favorite, but it's OK."
Well now you've met me. Turbos suck. "Turbo is my least favourite, and they're not OK."

When I got my first good road bike, I couldn't stay seated for more than ten minutes at a time until I realized there were saddles with different profiles. I experienced disturbingly rapid numbness in the twig and berries no matter how I adjusted it. I replaced it with a Ritchey branded saddle that was (I think) basically a Turbo copy, but much more firm and with a nice flat profile when viewed from the rear.
Old 08-24-21, 04:18 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1293 Post(s)
Liked 929 Times in 485 Posts
The Reydel GTI (at 355g) didn't appear until 82-83, but is well-considered.
Old 08-24-21, 07:44 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
Well now you've met me. Turbos suck. "Turbo is my least favourite, and they're not OK."

When I got my first good road bike, I couldn't stay seated for more than ten minutes at a time until I realized there were saddles with different profiles. I experienced disturbingly rapid numbness in the twig and berries no matter how I adjusted it. I replaced it with a Ritchey branded saddle that was (I think) basically a Turbo copy, but much more firm and with a nice flat profile when viewed from the rear.
And now I've met a Turbo-hater. I always figured there had to be a few of y'all.

S'ok, saddles are, um... personal.

As to the Concor, it's my favorite MTB saddle, but on a road bike, I've never been a fan. The midbody and nose profile is a taint hammer on a skinny-tired bike where you're spending most of your time sitting on it. On an MTB, you move around more and your rides tend to be shorter, with more stops, so that's not as important, and then the ducktail comes into its own... there's not much better for hips-back, low-rpm seated grinding up a steep hill with sketchy traction, IMNSHO.

--Shannon
Old 08-24-21, 07:56 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26373 Post(s)
Liked 10,341 Times in 7,185 Posts
...FWIW, that worn out, original post saddle, the Hinault signature model SI Turbo, had a much denser, harder foam in it than the standard ones. I only know this because I inherited one, and I like the feel of it. It might be worth recovering it, for that reason.
Old 08-24-21, 09:25 PM
La Brea Bike

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...FWIW, that worn out, original post saddle, the Hinault signature model SI Turbo, had a much denser, harder foam in it than the standard ones. I only know this because I inherited one, and I like the feel of it. It might be worth recovering it, for that reason.
I'll hang onto it for a future project!
Old 08-25-21, 01:50 AM
fabiofarelli

Bikes: Especialy Alan, but also Empella, Cascarsi, Gazelle, Bianchi, CJV, Sirocco, Berkers etcetera

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 997 Times in 355 Posts

Likes For fabiofarelli:
Old 08-25-21, 11:22 PM
La Brea Bike

Originally Posted by fabiofarelli

Wow! Anyone know the saddle model in the picture? This came today...
Likes For La Brea Bike:
Old 08-26-21, 01:53 AM
fabiofarelli

Bikes: Especialy Alan, but also Empella, Cascarsi, Gazelle, Bianchi, CJV, Sirocco, Berkers etcetera

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 997 Times in 355 Posts

The one in the back should be from Leo van Vliet in 1981. The other in from Raas some years earlier.

Van der Velde 1981

Tour 1981, a bit saddle of Zoetemelk.

But you have to realize these were pro's. Far as I know in the Tour of 1980 Joop Zoetemelk had a prototype Brooks, a plastic base, leather covered.
Likes For fabiofarelli:
Old 08-29-21, 09:36 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Saddle weights - Classic saddles

That would be a cool post!
Per my remark about posting weights...
I did also post to another thread with similar Qs - here's that content and will end with added info on an Avocet racing II

For general shape, width, these are all considered 143 width (always measured across the sitzbones area), nominal 270-275 length
all these saddles have some roundness side to side, the difference can make a difference...
Both of these saddles are from 1979, not any newer version/re-make.
Rolls Buffalo - 377 g would be considered to have a flatter profile front to back, also leg curve is slightly flatter...
Turbo - 390 g has a profile with a slight dip at about 2/3 from front to back, sharper leg curve.

Rolls, left, 377g Turbo right, 390g

I like both, have used Turbo many times in long races of 4 hrs, and rides over 6.
Rolls was used on longer rides to 4 hours - don;t believe I ever rode it on very long days.

Rolls & Turbo Top and back view
I also LOVE the SSM Strada, which was a 'later' release from San Marco - mid 80's. It's my current favorite
They were made in 3 versions - CroMo, Magnesium, and Titanium. I have all three, The CroMo and Ti are currently on bikes
but here is the Magnesium version - they all look the same, have same underlayment and leather cover.
Strada Mag - 250 g
Strada Ti - 219 g

Selle San Marco Strada - magnesium 250g

I would guess the CroMo version would be in the 300-320 g range...
Of course I have a bunch of the latest newer saddles (except Fizik - doesn't fit me well). Some are good/ok others not so much.
... all depends on your own butt... LOL!
"
and the Avocet Racing II - 368g - CroMo rails - could also be purchased with Alloy rails.

Avocet Racing II , 368g CroMo Rails

Avocet Racing II - CroMo Rails 368g
Same shape as the Cinelli Unicanitor... just a tiny bit more padding, which was still quite firm.
I did do a lot of races and miles on these. More durable than Turbo, but also a nice all-day saddle.
Also have a Cinelli Unicanitor on my Colnago Super Track bike - Plastic base only, no cover or underlayment - yes, they also came that way... weight ? hanging in rafters and not gonna haul down now...
Have lots more saddles, most are good but not as commonly known as these... and a bunch of new era saddles... way too many... LOL!
Thx
Yuri

Last edited by cyclezen; 08-29-21 at 04:22 PM.
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 01-13-24, 09:26 PM
StevenGee

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I agree. Having raced in that time period, the Turbo saddle was the most widely used one. I do not remember any Brooks saddles.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.