Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Schwalbe Hurricane gravel-ish tires

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-21, 04:51 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts

Bought these back in early summer but have been riding with slicks until finally getting out and doing a few gravel, double track, stoney, sandy and paved short trips this fall. Originally got these tires as I wanted to do a multiday trip where I'd be on ATV trails and unmaintained roads with a lot more loose gravel, bigger stones and more sand, but never could do that trip.

When looking for tire options, i knew I'd be carrying less stuff than usual, but still probably using panniers just out of ease of carrying food etc, and am not overly concerned about too much hike a bike stuff, so ok with panniers (plus it's just easy to use them, and I can be disciplined not to fill them).

As my bike is 26", the newer tires tend not to be available for 26, but there are a bunch of reasonable options, from various knobby themed mtb stuff to only small knobs.
The Hurricanes appealed with the mix of tread pattern, and the large side knobs would be good for much looser stuff, especially with front panniers and maybe total load weight of 25, 30lbs-- which for me is still light, but enough to appreciate some good grip with the tread patterns on them and playing with tire pressures for 2.1 inch/ 50-55mm width and volume.

The weight isn't bad, 620g, and the sidewalls are reasonably flexible, so I was quite happy with the ride feel, using pressures appropriate to my weight, bike+load weight, and surface. I played around between 35 and 45 psi, and would run lower with less stuff on the bike.

This tread pattern style isn't new, but I was very happy with how they roll efficiently and noise wise, even at their 50mm measured width on my rims.
I really like wide tires, have ridden this bike a lot on 2inch and 1.6 inch schwalbe supreme slicks, and while the hurricanes aren't as fast as the supremes, they aren't bad, and on gravel they work great.

I was happy with how quiet they are on pavement, the middle strip doing its job, and the overall compromise of the tire as a whole is not bad really on all the surfaces I rode on.

At not much more than $25 each, they were an inexpensive alternative to try out, especially given that I'm not doing trips much that would need them, and I just wasn't set on paying 100, 125 bucks each for some Rene Hearse tires. I'm sure they are great, but for what I wanted to spend and how much I'll be using these, they are great.

How long will they last and hold up, who knows? Given I'm light and generally easy on equipment and tires, I'm confident they'll be pretty good, and my experience with various schwalbe tires has been very, very good, so I'm optimistic.

it's fun though to open up ideas of what kind of different surfaces to tour on, and i look forward to doing more offroad, singletrack etc trips with these. It makes me love my troll even more, it's such a versatile bike and easily took these tires without touching my fenders, lots of spare room, and even more fun to ride on loose stuff with these tires.

consider the Hurricanes as a tire to have more fun traveling on various surfaces. I know they come in 700 and 27.5 so they can make a cheap change out for some dirt trips.

Last edited by djb; 10-18-21 at 06:32 AM.
Old 10-17-21, 07:38 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
Nice looking rig ! Interesting tire, thanks for sharing.
Old 10-18-21, 06:23 AM
djb

Thanks robow,
here's a screenshot of the schwalbe page, showing the various sizes and schwalbe ratings for the different flavours.
in 27.5 and 622, they go from 1.6", 2, 2.2 and even 2.4.

2.4 would be fun for certain trails, again especially given the price point.
Old 05-18-23, 08:31 PM
djb

Bump on this topic.
spent a few days riding on these things on maybe 50 50 gravel and paved. Rode a good long time on a trail trail that got a bit loose here and there, and these 2.1 hurricanes were still over tyred for even the worst, so I'm pretty confident that these will work well on most offroad stuff I'm bound to hit on this bike.
Still pretty happy too how they roll on pavement, fairly quiet on the center part and didn't have a weird feel when tipping in around paved corners.
This weekend trip was pretty tame surface wise, but I'm now confident they'll be fine on any bikepacking route I'll do this year.
Old 05-18-23, 08:36 PM
djb

Old 05-19-23, 07:59 AM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 81 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion DJ. I bought a set of Hurricanes for my Bruce Gordon gravel wheels in the 700x40 size replacing Rock & Road (Panaracer) knobbies in 43 width. The R&Rs worked fine but were noisy on pavement. Going to test the Hurricanes on Jefferson Notch Road here in NH when it opens.

Last edited by BobG; 05-19-23 at 12:49 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 05-19-23, 08:52 AM
djb

Kinda obvious, but bumping the pressures up on pavement makes them ride mostly on the center, so quieter. Even going along at 30kph they are pretty quiet in my opinion.
As I use 26 in, these are a relatively cheap option for this type of tread pattern.
Old 05-19-23, 09:25 AM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 81 Posts
The old BGs were my noisy ones. The Hurricanes are as quiet as any road tire!