Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Unable to remove crank threads partially stripped

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-21, 05:01 PM
tendency

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 104 Posts

Hey all - new bike and when I went to take off the drive side crankarm found this:

Someone ground down the threads on the crankarm - aaaaargh! I'm unable to thread on the extractor tool .. what can I do to fix this?
Old 05-18-21, 08:39 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
I made a thread chaser out of a broken crank extractor--cut some tap-like slots into the nut--and that works sometimes. Sometimes I can carefully repair the leading threads with a utility knife. If those tricks don't work I get out the pickle fork (automotive ball joint separator).
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 05-18-21, 08:43 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Uhh, did you remove the crank fixing bolt (the hex head bolt in the middle of the opening) first before trying the extractor?
Old 05-18-21, 09:00 PM
tendency

Originally Posted by HillRider
Uhh, did you remove the crank fixing bolt (the hex head bolt in the middle of the opening) first before trying the extractor?
Yes, the pic was taken after I re-assembled - but thanks for checking
Old 05-18-21, 09:01 PM
tendency

Originally Posted by andrewclaus
I made a thread chaser out of a broken crank extractor--cut some tap-like slots into the nut--and that works sometimes. Sometimes I can carefully repair the leading threads with a utility knife. If those tricks don't work I get out the pickle fork (automotive ball joint separator).
Cool thanks for tips - I'll see if I can fashion some sort of a thread chaser.
Old 05-19-21, 12:21 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
failing that, a pulley remover rented from auto stores also works. you get your money back when you return the tool

like this....

Last edited by thook; 05-19-21 at 12:27 AM.
Old 05-19-21, 03:14 AM
cjenrick

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
i have never done this, just a hypothesis, remove the left hand crank, lock nut and cup,

now the rt crank can rest against the fixed rt cup, take off the bolt, remove the washer, put the bolt back in then back it out maybe 1/8th inch, put some pb blaster oil in there, or liquid wrench, get a drift punch or piece of round stock, tap on the spindle pretty good and see if it pops off,

or buy a bottom tap of the same thread size and chase it,
Old 05-19-21, 05:08 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Beaucoup threads on this.

Heat, 2 pickle forks, Jacobs chuck wedges are some of the methods to remove cranks with stripped out extractor threads.

Gear pullers generally haven't worked for me, but the one thook posted looks like it might have a chance of not slipping off. Put it on, get some tension on the arm, heat the arm with a heat gun, retension the puller, then tap the side of the crank arm sharply with a hammer to help vibrate everything loose.

If none of that works than break out the hacksaw...
Old 05-19-21, 05:47 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
Originally Posted by tendency
Cool thanks for tips - I'll see if I can fashion some sort of a thread chaser.
Bicycle Research made a crank thread chaser (below). The piece on the right is a pilot to keep the chaser on axis. The male end threads into a bolt-type spindle, the female end fits on a nut-type spindle. I suspect this tool has been out of production for a while. BikeToolsEtc offers a similar chaser, but without the pilot, so you'd need to be careful to keep the tool on axis.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
br-crank-thread-chaser.jpg (36.7 KB, 78 views)
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 05-19-21, 10:15 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Beaucoup threads on this.

Heat, 2 pickle forks, Jacobs chuck wedges are some of the methods to remove cranks with stripped out extractor threads.

Gear pullers generally haven't worked for me, but the one thook posted looks like it might have a chance of not slipping off. Put it on, get some tension on the arm, heat the arm with a heat gun, retension the puller, then tap the side of the crank arm sharply with a hammer to help vibrate everything loose.

If none of that works than break out the hacksaw...
i had to use a puller once a long time ago to get a deore lx crank off a junky frame i found. i really wanted it because it was smoke colored. i did try a pickle fork, at first, but could quickly see it was only going to mar up the crank before it even came loose. anyway, i think the puller i used had better tabs at the arms' ends, and it worked very well without needing heat or hammer. that image was the only one i could find right away to illustrate, though.
Old 05-19-21, 12:08 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
5-arm crank?
The generic pullers tend not to work well on those. They don’t center right. If you insist, they tend to slip off under load. 3-arm pullers might do less poorly. Chuck wedges, pickle Forks work better. Or cutting the BB spindle.
Old 05-19-21, 12:22 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10413 Post(s)
Liked 11,874 Times in 6,081 Posts
Chuck wedges. Do a search for them on BF.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-19-21, 01:19 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Chuck wedges. Do a search for them on BF.

Chuck Norris wedges. Simply mention them in passing, and the crank will back itself off and apologize...
Old 05-19-21, 03:27 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by thook
i did try a pickle fork, at first, but could quickly see it was only going to mar up the crank before it even came loose.
I've used a single pickle fork with some sheet metal shims to protect the bike, but someone on here suggested using two pickle forks. that would be most excellent. Pickle forks have the hammer helping to vibrate stuff loose as well.

I bought a set of Jacobs chucks but haven't had need for them yet. I replaced the 35 year old stripped out crank with a campy ultratorque unit. Crank extractors suck.
Old 05-19-21, 03:55 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10413 Post(s)
Liked 11,874 Times in 6,081 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
I've used a single pickle fork with some sheet metal shims to protect the bike, but someone on here suggested using two pickle forks. that would be most excellent. Pickle forks have the hammer helping to vibrate stuff loose as well.

I bought a set of Jacobs chucks but haven't had need for them yet. I replaced the 35 year old stripped out crank with a campy ultratorque unit. Crank extractors suck.
Unless they work, then they're fantastic. But, yeah, when they fail, they really suck.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 05-20-21, 02:16 AM
cjenrick

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
another trick is to leave the bolt off and ride the bike for a while,

of course you want to monitor things closely so

1) you don't crash

2) you don't butcher the taper

and don't stray too far from home.