Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

7 Speed to 8 speed upgrade

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-21, 08:42 AM
bktourer1

Bikes: Diamondback "parkway" Spec. "expedition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts

Thinking of going from 7 Speed Freewheel to 8 speed for touring. Been using 7 speeds for years but do I actually gain an thing upgrading to 8 Speed?
Trying to decide if the cost is worth it. My trips are anywhere to 20-50 for day trips and 400+ for touring with front and rear panniers.
The bike is a 20 year old Diamondback Parkway which has been my daily riding bike for years
Old 11-17-21, 09:11 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
The thing to do in a situation like this is first to decide if you’re doing it for the fun factor, or If you’re looking for utility value.
If UV, have a good think about where you think your current setup is coming up short.
I could see a point in going from 7-speed freewheel to 8-speed cassette, as that would gain you some top end while not changing the gaps between ratios too much.
I could also see a point in gettingthe more reliable rear axle design that comes with cassettes.
If you stay with freewheels, you’re basically getting one intermediate gear somewhere in your range, and a more stressed rear axle. And a hub that needs re-spacing and a wheel that ideally should be re-dished. I’d probably not do that.
Old 11-17-21, 09:18 AM
steine13

Bikes: See my albums. I find that listing them here messes up searching.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 141 Posts
It's possible but not likely that a 20 year old bike has a "freewheel."
I expect it is a cassette.
And the answer might be to run 8 speeds of a 9 speed cassette on the 7 spd freehub body. Sheldon has an article on this. Of course.
Old 11-17-21, 09:44 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by bktourer1
Thinking of going from 7 Speed Freewheel to 8 speed for touring. Been using 7 speeds for years but do I actually gain an thing upgrading to 8 Speed?
Trying to decide if the cost is worth it. My trips are anywhere to 20-50 for day trips and 400+ for touring with front and rear panniers.
The bike is a 20 year old Diamondback Parkway which has been my daily riding bike for years
Your first problem is that they don't make 8 speed freewheels. Nor is it advisable even if they did make one. You would have to swap to a wheel with a cassette hub. Luckily those are plentiful on Craigslist or your local bike co-op.
Your shifters will also need to be replaced with 8 speed shifters.
Old 11-17-21, 09:50 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Your first problem is that they don't make 8 speed freewheels. Nor is it advisable even if they did make one. You would have to swap to a wheel with a cassette hub. Luckily those are plentiful on Craigslist or your local bike co-op.
Your shifters will also need to be replaced with 8 speed shifters.
8 speed freewheels are rare but not unknown. They are rare because the unsupported portion of the axle with 8 speed freewheels leads to frequent bending and breaking of the axle, especially if you are touring with loaded panniers
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 11-17-21, 10:01 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
The reason to upgrade to more speeds, is to get a wider gear range or to get closer steps between the gears you have. Do you want either of those things, or are you otherwise happy with what you have?

IMO, you should be well aware if you are unhappy with your gearing. If not, you can save your money and just keep running what you have.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 11-17-21, 10:17 AM
bktourer1

My hub is a freewheel and found many 8 Speed free wheels on Amazon & Ebay.
Aware of needing new shifters and was planning on going from grip to thumbs shifters due to a wrist issue,
along with derailleur and chain. Looking to get a wider gear range .
Nothing in concrete yet, just thinking about possible upgrade for the winter months and longer tours next year.

Thanks for the assists
Old 11-17-21, 10:24 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
My hub is a freewheel and found many 8 Speed free wheels on Amazon & Ebay.
Aware of needing new shifters and was planning on going from grip to thumbs shifters due to a wrist issue,
along with derailleur and chain. Looking to get a wider gear range .
Nothing in concrete yet, just thinking about possible upgrade for the winter months and longer tours next year.

Thanks for the assists
You can't just install an 8 speed freewheel on your current wheel without modification. An 8 speed freewheel takes up more space and will require additional spacers on the drive side to keep the small cog from contacting the frame. This may require a longer axle and your wheel will have to be redished to center the rim. The added spacing on the drive side will result in an axle that will be prone to bending and breaking. That is why all current 8 speed rear wheels have cassette hubs, not freewheel
Oh, you may also have to modify your frame to allow the longer axle to fit
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 11-17-21, 10:44 AM
bktourer1

I know more research needs to be done before I start buying parts, that's why I request info from this site
I also need to look at the cost factor
Old 11-17-21, 10:50 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
+1. I would definitely replace or rebuild the rear wheel to have a cassette hub, especially for touring loads. You can use pretty much any hub that is designated 8, 9, 10, or 11 speed. There are some good and inexpensive options in 8-speed cassettes, still. Be advised that your frame will either need to be adjusted for the wider spacing, or you will need to pull the dropouts apart slightly when installing your rear wheel.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-17-21, 10:55 AM
bktourer1

and the research goes on. Thanks
Old 11-17-21, 10:58 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
If I had a 7-speed drivetrain and wanted to upgrade, I'd skip right over 8 and 9, and go with 10 speeds. In fact, that's what I did, with an old Trek 1100 a few years ago. It is not *that much* more expensive. It's immeasurably more work than continuing with your current setup, but about the same amount of work as going up to 8 speed.
Old 11-17-21, 11:09 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I still have 1 freewheel bike. All the rest were upgraded, or originally set up as 8, or 9 speed.

As others have said, it all depends on what you need from your setup that your current 7 speed freewheel lacks.

For example, if you find an 11-34 8 speed freewheel instead of a 13-34 7 speed, all you are gaining is more top end speed. You get nothing else from your change. If that is what you lack, it will help at the expense of durability.

It might be better to analyze your chainring options. This may still mean some expense, but depending on what gearing you need, that might be an option.

Freewheel to cassette upgrades tend to include wheel upgrades. Unless you have a compelling reason, or a good source, those generally lead to asking if this bike is worth the investment, or should a person move on.

John
Old 11-17-21, 11:25 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
If I had a 7-speed drivetrain and wanted to upgrade, I'd skip right over 8 and 9, and go with 10 speeds. In fact, that's what I did, with an old Trek 1100 a few years ago. It is not *that much* more expensive. It's immeasurably more work than continuing with your current setup, but about the same amount of work as going up to 8 speed.
Agree with 8sp not worth the trouble over 7sp but spreading the dropouts 5mm for 135mm is not as trivial as it sounds. Even steel dropouts resent it like hell. What about a Road hub though? I believe 10sp Road hubs are 130mm OLD. Rear derailleur and shifter would have to go though.
Old 11-17-21, 11:42 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
When you say worth it, do you mean bike value or ride value? If everything is in working order, I'd go with replacing the shifters. If you want to change the ride quality, I'd try some new bikes. Trek makes an FX that is similar and you could probably find a used one on Craig's. Used these shifters as a twist grip replacement.
https://www.modernbike.com/product-2...hoC464QAvD_BwE
Old 11-17-21, 01:20 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts

Like this 1999 Diamondback Parkway? Has a 28-38-48 crankset and 13-34 7 speed rear cluster. Can’t imagine you need more than a 34/28 to get up hills, and a 48/13 will spin out around 28mph.
If it were me, I’d go ahead with the swap to thumbies (which seems to be the over riding reason for change) even if that means friction instead of indexed.
Aside from that, would spend money on good tires/saddle and call it a day.
Old 11-17-21, 03:27 PM
bktourer1

and the research goes on. Thanks
I have enough bikes as it is in the garage.