Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Bike license?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Bike license?

Old 07-12-18, 05:39 AM
sherrattsp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike license?

Hi all, I'm just wondering about your opinion on a training course or lisense for cyclists?

I'm writing this while I'm on a cycle tour and I cycled through Bordeaux the other day, my first taste at city cycling

I'll confess I can find it a little confusing when there are bikes, cars and trams are all going through the same junction!

And to make it worse you have to share some bike lanes with busses!

UPDATE:
I'll clarify what I mean 😂😂

I don't think that licenses should be required but available for cyclists to obtain so that there is a clear rule book for cyclists and car drivers to follow.

An example of this would be who takes priority when a cycle way joins a road? Car driver or cyclists? Personally I'd say the car driver takes priority but some people disagree. This is why I think there should be more clear rules around this area...I think a lisense is one way of making this clear as the cyclists would 'gain' something from it

Does anyone think that a lisense as it were would be a good idea so that there is a common way of thinking and doing thinks between cyclists and non cyclists to make things easier, safer and more understandable?

Last edited by sherrattsp; 07-15-18 at 02:21 AM.
Old 07-12-18, 05:50 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Absolutely not, under normal circumstance. I say this because there are special instances where a operator certificate or pass might be necessary such as bring your bike into specially congested pedestrian locations or restricted/limited ride areas.

That certificate would indicate that you've been instructed with a set of standards for operating your bike safely while in that area. On public roads however, bikes are the least threat (cyclist vs motor vehicles), so its totally unnecessary for a cyclist to be licensed.
Old 07-12-18, 06:35 AM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
In those situations you are no different than any other vehicle. Take your lane and flow with traffic.

Licenses for for cars don't seem to make them behave the same.
Old 07-12-18, 06:46 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18347 Post(s)
Liked 4,497 Times in 3,344 Posts
Here is this thread:
https://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-...s-e-bikes.html

It does wander a little bit.

Keep in mind that cycling covers many different people with different skills and needs. A good number of adult cyclists have driver's licenses, but not all of them, or some have had their licenses revoked.

I would support more training, perhaps even bicycle specific court mandated training for various offenses, rather than hefty fines.

However, also keep in mind that cycling can be extremely situational with different skills needed at different times. There are some valid variations such as using a left turn lane, vs a square turn, going straight through the right side of an intersection, turning the bike, then proceeding across the intersection on the next green.

There is also debate such as lane positioning with no simple universal answer.
Old 07-12-18, 08:12 AM
atbman

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Bike riding licences are a solution in search of a problem. Driving licences were introduced as a result of rising death rates from poor driving and a lack of awareness of how to drive in traffic (inc. pedestrians, cyclists, horses and horse-drawn vehicles. Deaths of other road users as a result of poor riding are few and far between and it would
a) be an expensive solution to a near non-existent risk
and
b) be almost impossible to enforce, given the difficulty of identifying individual law breakers
Old 07-12-18, 08:17 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Bike licensing, you say? Well, most everybody here in Sunny California has a DMV issued Driver's License, and a measurable percentage of the people here in Sunny California can't drive worth a damn.

My wife had her car totaled out from under her, rear-ended on the freeway by an 18-year-old with two at-fault accidents already on her record. A buddy of mine, same thing, only his was to a 20-year-old with no insurance and a suspended license.

Enforcing licensing for bicycle riders would be impossible, and ultimately pointless. You either know how to ride safely or you don't. A Driver's License doesn't make a person a good driver.

Besides, you let them license us, next thing you know, mandatory cycling insurance.
Old 07-12-18, 08:21 AM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Here is this thread:

https://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-...s-e-bikes.html

It does wander a little bit.

Keep in mind that cycling covers many different people with different skills and needs. A good number of adult cyclists have driver's licenses, but not all of them, or some have had their licenses revoked.

I would support more training, perhaps even bicycle specific court mandated training for various offenses, rather than hefty fines.

However, also keep in mind that cycling can be extremely situational with different skills needed at different times. There are some valid variations such as using a left turn lane, vs a square turn, going straight through the right side of an intersection, turning the bike, then proceeding across the intersection on the next green.

There is also debate such as lane positioning with no simple universal answer.

I agree with the additional training. Some can be done online from the comfort of the living room. It's a safe bet that the OP did a great deal of research to be sure to have selected a successful vacation. Being a bike trip, included in the research could have been safe bicycling techniques. I have found however that most people don't even know this training is available either online or in a class . And some do not think they need it until they are caught in a situation they do not know how to handle resulting in a negative feeling about cycling. If there was greater awareness of the training tools, I think it would benefit the entire cycling community by growing the number of cyclists and making their experience positive.
Old 07-12-18, 08:59 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 520 Posts
You know, I think the o.p. is onto something. Licensing requirements will mean testing and/or instruction. I'm well qualified to provide either. Bring it. But, and I'm just saying a DMNV (Dept. of Non-Motorized Vehicles) will need to expand the definition to stay ahead of costs. I suggest we require pedestrian training and licensing. Anyone out in public will need to be licensed. I can't see a downside.
Old 07-12-18, 12:03 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
No.
Old 07-12-18, 12:11 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18347 Post(s)
Liked 4,497 Times in 3,344 Posts
Who will be required to get a license?

That 3 year old with training wheels on their bike pushing it out onto the public streets (flat and easy riding)?

7 year old bike commuting to the neighborhood school?

The family that just dumped the kids off in the park?

Just the cyclists that managed to survive till adulthood?

Maybe license the "serious cyclists".... but ignore any that aren't serious.

License the roadies?
Old 07-12-18, 01:30 PM
Leisesturm

Definitely the roadies ...
Old 07-12-18, 01:38 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10142 Post(s)
Liked 5,832 Times in 3,140 Posts
Noooo!
Old 07-12-18, 02:48 PM
Leisesturm

Yaaasss!
Old 07-12-18, 06:06 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I have a license. It says I'm a Cat 3 on the road, Cat 5 on the track.
Old 07-12-18, 06:15 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 1,515 Times in 988 Posts
Originally Posted by sherrattsp
I'm writing this while I'm on a cycle tour and I cycled through Bordeaux the other day, my first taste at city cycling
So, did you want to be barred from biking in Bordeaux until you got a French bicycle license? It isn't like your US cycling prepared you for France, so why would a US license have helped?
Old 07-12-18, 07:18 PM
Chief

Bikes: SR, Bianchi, Raleigh, Bertin, Kona, Schwinn, Eisentraut, Zunow, Columbine, Naked, Nishiki, Phillips, Specialized, Giant

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
You know, I think the o.p. is onto something. Licensing requirements will mean testing and/or instruction. I'm well qualified to provide either. Bring it. But, and I'm just saying a DMNV (Dept. of Non-Motorized Vehicles) will need to expand the definition to stay ahead of costs. I suggest we require pedestrian training and licensing. Anyone out in public will need to be licensed. I can't see a downside.
Concur! There may even be benefit in requiring a license to think....
Old 07-12-18, 07:37 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Chief
Concur! There may even be benefit in requiring a license to think....
Too late. Consider professions.
Old 07-13-18, 07:34 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts

I'll confess I can find it a little confusing when there are bikes, cars and trams are all going through the same junction!
I'm leaving for a cycle tour of France tonite. A&S debating cycling licenses will be figuratively the last place I'll be while I'm over there.

Enjoy your vacation, just remember to attack the tram tracks perpendicular, don't try to take a shallow line across them. Also remember wet cobblestone is slick
Old 07-13-18, 11:27 AM
sherrattsp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
I'm leaving for a cycle tour of France tonite. A&S debating cycling licenses will be figuratively the last place I'll be while I'm over there.

Enjoy your vacation, just remember to attack the tram tracks perpendicular, don't try to take a shallow line across them. Also remember wet cobblestone is slick
Haha cheers! Fortunately we didn't have any falls!

Hope you enjoy your trip!
Old 07-13-18, 11:30 AM
sherrattsp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
So, did you want to be barred from biking in Bordeaux until you got a French bicycle license? It isn't like your US cycling prepared you for France, so why would a US license have helped?
Don't have a license yet, I'm 16!

I suppose I might just be getting used to things as we drive on the left in the UK
I only thought that a common way of thinking could be of benefit
Old 07-13-18, 12:56 PM
Kontact 

Don't have a license yet, I'm 16!

I suppose I might just be getting used to things as we drive on the left in the UK
I only thought that a common way of thinking could be of benefit
How would a UK bicycle license, that trains you to ride on UK roads, help you understand French or Japanese roads?
Old 07-14-18, 01:07 AM
sherrattsp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
How would a UK bicycle license, that trains you to ride on UK roads, help you understand French or Japanese roads?
You'd still need a car lisense to drive on European roads, road signs in Europe are pretty much the same over the continent it's more to do with joining and leaving cycle ways with regards to road traffic. If car drivers and bike riders followed the same rule book, it's a bit of a grey area atm, the I think it would be much safer
Old 07-14-18, 01:28 AM
Kontact 

You'd still need a car lisense to drive on European roads, road signs in Europe are pretty much the same over the continent it's more to do with joining and leaving cycle ways with regards to road traffic. If car drivers and bike riders followed the same rule book, it's a bit of a grey area atm, the I think it would be much safer
So you don't want licensing, you want international standardization of auto and bike traffic laws so everyone knows how it works wherever they go.
Old 07-14-18, 09:35 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
There's already a history of bicycle licence studies all over major North American cities.

So I wouldn't mind bicycle licenses provided all of the following are offered:

1) Optional;

2) paid by motorists during drivers licence and plate renewals;
3) no fault- all fault automatically attributed to the nearest motorist(s);
4) municipal, provincial and federal tax breaks;
5) perks offered by merchants and hotels on top of other promotions and membership prices you already are entitled.
6) Mandatory road test every two years for motorists;
7) install separated bike lanes wherever motor vehicles are legally allowed to drive;
8) bike racks at all public and commercial places.

We already know that bike licensing are a waste of taxpayers money. So if you don't like any of these conditions, don't ask for bicycle licensing.
Old 07-14-18, 10:31 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Please no bike licenses nor bike registrations. We accept even drivers licenses mainly because it's always been that way (for most of us) so we never think of "why" or why not. The only benefit - for the owner of a drivers license - is that we use it for identification. And people have to practice driving at least a little bit before taking a drivers exam. Neither of those benefits have a practical application to bikes.

The usual underlying reason for proposing bike regulation like this (and in large part a big initial reason for requiring a DL in the USA) is revenue generation, and that never actually works with bikes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.