Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Losing More Bike Shops

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Losing More Bike Shops

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-20, 03:58 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
I wonder when the first bike & weed shop will open up. If it ever happens, my money is on Portland breaking ground first

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 01-03-20, 07:40 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
I had worked for one shop for 5 years, by wages were just always a smidge more than minimum wage, from junior high on.
I was offered more $ at an ice cream store of all places, when I was 8 years old I wanted to work at a bike shop and ice cream store.
Done, started off at 10% more than the bike shop. Got a raise before 6 weeks in, the bike shop called me and asked to come back.
OK, but not giving up the other job, fun to work and the co-workers are attractive. (mostly sorority members)
They were gobsmacked at what I was earning per hour, but met it.
Few bicycle shops get beyond the low wage paradigm.
Similar here. I know a talented bike mechanic. Went from working at one of the best shops in town to working as a barista. Doubled his pay.

The bike shop business is one of the few where some have to compete against non-profit, donated inventory, volunteer workers businesses. Some coexist smoothly, some do not. But it makes a tough business even tougher. And then you have consumables on line: ebay, Amazon, wherever. And you have Walmart and similar competing on the bottom end. All in all, very difficult to make it work! My hat's off to those that can do it.

Last edited by wrk101; 01-03-20 at 07:55 AM.
Old 01-03-20, 11:02 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Similar here. I know a talented bike mechanic. Went from working at one of the best shops in town to working as a barista. Doubled his pay.

The bike shop business is one of the few where some have to compete against non-profit, donated inventory, volunteer workers businesses. Some coexist smoothly, some do not. But it makes a tough business even tougher. And then you have consumables on line: ebay, Amazon, wherever. And you have Walmart and similar competing on the bottom end. All in all, very difficult to make it work! My hat's off to those that can do it.
True enough today, way back there were different issues but the situation was the same, the owner's might have made out OK, but the employees not. There is an association trying to raise the expertise level and make a case for mechanics to be better paid, tough.
In the reporting by Bicycleretailer, many shops are surviving on "the back of the store".
One local shop when I visited for the first time, was beside himself, he had some recently purchased inventory that was being offered by the brand now direct to consumer for Less than he paid before shipping.
He contacted the distributor/mfg. - too bad so sad. It's a nasty world out there.
Old 01-03-20, 12:22 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
Originally Posted by SamSpade1941
Yet no one in this thread for the most part wanted to admit that combative approach plays a role in availability and cost of properties.

Thanks for the fresh breath of honesty.

eCommerce is a juggernaut which will not be stopped , let alone stopped by people making poor business decisions.

What you said about Seattle is what I have witnessed living here in Oregon for the past 5 years, an almost adversarial attitude toward business of all sizes and a borderline psychotic attitude towards growth. I spent a good while reading about Urban growth boundaries which have been embraced statewide . Honestly from what I can see , it was a well intentioned and idiotic approach to curb urban sprawl. The term cutting one's own nose off to spite the face keeps coming to mind.
I have 0 desire for my metro to expand, but recognize it will continue to do just that for many reasons- relatively inexpensive land, strong schools, safe towns, low unemployment, etc.
But really- from a selfish perspective I would love to see expansion stop. I dont want more houses popping up like pimples on a teen. I dont want more bulldozed land to make connectors to the interstates for future growth into rural areas. Selfishly, I wish we were bordered by a lake on one side, and mountain ranges on the other sides...though I like the rolling hills for actual riding so mountains would be an issue!
I dont want more cars on the road, housing prices to continue to increase, or service cost to continue to outpace cost of living. That is just me and my selfishness due to cycling and family situation. But I have no power to stop it. Its another story when people on a town council who have the power to stop it feel the way I do.

I would guess a pretty common view for many is that they would rather not have their town/metro expand too far beyond a certain amount. What that amount is will obviously vary.
Sprawl simply doesnt sound appealing to many. Nobody wants to exist in traffic jams twice a day. Nobody wants an increase in crime. All those things inevitably come with population growth, so there is an inevitable push against growth.
Old 01-03-20, 12:28 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3884 Post(s)
Liked 6,478 Times in 3,205 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
Recycled Cycles here in Seattle has worked hard to stay profitable...
Like closing their Fremont store a couple years ago due to rising rent. They had a ton of storage space at that location. I wonder what they do for storage now.
Old 01-03-20, 12:43 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Like closing their Fremont store a couple years ago due to rising rent. They had a ton of storage space at that location. I wonder what they do for storage now.
Yeah, the rent was to rise...considerably. 2x or 3x or some order of absurd. It also turned out that it was their original Boat St. location that essentially subsidized the Fremont location. They tried, it didn't work out monetarily, and they went back to a single store. They occupy the entirety of that Boat St. building, after starting out in a small part of the basement all those years ago. Things are packed pretty darn tightly down in the basement now (staff only area), though the workshop area has good space.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 01-03-20, 05:28 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
Over the last couple of years, I've found myself wondering where I'd put a bike shop in my local neighborhood/hill (Queen Anne), or where I'd put one in neighboring Magnolia. It's a tough call because both neighborhoods have considerable topography. I mean, it's also just Seattle in general, but the underlying question is, "What location would be inviting for both casual family shopping, and perhaps even for dedicated riders?" Quiet street/neighborhood location? Flat terrain all around? Easy to get to?....

Topography, atmosphere, and noise level. Another way to say "location, location, location!"

I live on a "hill" community, there is a shopping district at about the top of the hill, there was a bike shop, long ago a Schwinn shop for decades. They sold, another fellow bought the place, was making a go but sold out to another. He was in his early 50's wanted to get the business to another level, moved the shop to a location with better visibility in the same general area, understandable, the old long occupied location was two floors, two entrances, sales up top, service under. Worked but mandated more staff. new location was a fresh build-out inside. He coughed up for a Specialized Concept store... was not sure about that. The area is known for high income, high net worth, self made folk, = cheap. The local TJMax is BUSY, the highline department stores went under way before it was a thing.

I think density is a problem, 3,000 per square mile, flat land cities are in the 6,000-7,000 range. Anyway, the store is treading water, but that was it. Sadly, the owner dies of heart failure while on a bike ride. Between lack of estate planning and nothing really viable to sell, shop closes, 5 out of work. If it had stayed in the old location where a bike shop had been for decades, it probably could have been sold as a business.

A few years later a new bike shop has opened in essentially the same location as the old, keeping entry to one floor. From the looks of it - a rough go so far. Figuring out what the customer base wants is I think a challenge. Kids bikes for sure.

just went by today- 11:15 am closed...
that is not encouraging on a Saturday.

Last edited by repechage; 01-04-20 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-03-20, 06:20 PM
bikemike73 

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
crank addict
or anyone else

Where is the place that you need a food permit to sell energy bars ???

I believe you.....BUT that's one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard of. I live in Taxa.......I mean Massachusetts, where everything is taxed..................
..but a permit to sell bars **********

Please tell me I mis-read it !!
Old 01-03-20, 07:10 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by jyl
I don't know - I was in there a couple weeks ago and didn't look like move was imminent - no big sale etc.
Got the exact 411 today, moving in March, 12330 SW Walker Road, Beaverton, not Hillsboro.
Old 01-03-20, 07:14 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
I wonder when the first bike & weed shop will open up. If it ever happens, my money is on Portland breaking ground first

DD
You in?
Old 01-03-20, 09:18 PM
SamSpade1941 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Got the exact 411 today, moving in March, 12330 SW Walker Road, Beaverton, not Hillsboro.
See that is even better for me than Hillsboro

Old 01-03-20, 11:20 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
Originally Posted by SamSpade1941
See that is even better for me than Hillsboro

I know exactly where that is-was an antique store.

Andy_K, looks like trouble...
Old 01-04-20, 12:18 AM
tashi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts

DD

While I love both those products, I doubt it will happen. Why take up space with low-margin, high-effort (& slow transaction time) items when you can sell a high-margin, compact, quickly sold product like weed? With the startup and operations costs being what they are, I'd be keeping my floor space to a minimum if I secured a retailers license for weed. The combo doesn't make a lot of sense from the customer side either.

Ever see a liquor store/bike shop combo?

From a customer perspective, a coffee shop that has a few PR's, with a smoking lounge...that would be a good combo. I've fantasized about adding a smoking lounge and weed sales to my pool hall, (pretty sure my food sales are 25% weed driven already) but there's no chance of getting a license or getting the space in my high-rise. See coffee/bookshop combos, and bars for inspo. The costs associated with the weed regulations would be a deal breaker. If there were a way to get not a retail license, but a service license, like a pub vs. a liquor store, than there might be something there...

...yeah, I'm in a weed-loving town and I've put some thought into it!
Likes For tashi:
Old 01-04-20, 06:40 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
The co-op model is great. I just wish mine (BikeWorks) weren't a 25 minute ride plus a 30 minute lightrail away.
What's not to love about the co-op? Free labor + Free bikes = profit for someone. Hmmm... with the exception of free labor its almost like Goodwill. Free inventory, resold, and the CEO makes $729 a year.

That brings us to the disappearance of our local bike shops. Up here, the shops that stay open are the ones that show a diversity in their income streams. Boston Metro area can support only the oldest, most-established shops. There's a strong customer base for them, but farther north, and into Maine, shops that also sell skis and kayaks and the like are more perennial.
Old 01-04-20, 11:19 AM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 505 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I've long been amazed so many shops existed in Portland. Seemed unsustainable from afar, based on population and participation.
I have visited many of the shops in PDX since 2008. For awhile it seemed that there were almost as many bike shops as coffee shops! Even in PDX there is a limit how many bike shops can survive. With fewer shops maybe survival will improve.

As far as the current business climate: I believe that the current economy is the best that most of us will see in our lifetimes! We should enjoy it while it lasts.
Old 01-04-20, 01:28 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
I don't think we're lacking for bike shops in Portland, there are still tons of choices. I think what we're mourning over is the loss of some really cool ones (Velocult, Norther, Rivelo) that maybe, just possibly had too narrow of a consumer base to support them.
Old 01-05-20, 08:06 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 351 Posts

DD
That was the typical bike shop in the '70's.
Likes For big chainring:
Old 01-05-20, 09:20 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 703 Times in 376 Posts

DD
It's already happened... almost. Rose City Recumbents (on Powell) is in a space formerly occupied by a medical marijuana dispensary. I believe it took them a couple months of airing out before they got rid of the smell.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 01-05-20, 09:52 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 703 Times in 376 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Bike shop closures around here have been the norm for almost 20 years now. And at the pressure of increasing rents, its going to continue.

If I was interested in opening one, it would be on-line only as others have mentioned. The best way to control rent is to not have any.

When people can buy almost anything they want from Amazon, and have it in one day or maybe two days max, the world has changed forever. The co ops survive here due to low rent, (or donated free space). free (donated) materials, and volunteers. None of this is really feasible in a brick and mortar store.

I always get a kick out of the guy that visits our co op, wearing his scrubs from the local hospital where he works. He complains endlessly about the high prices shops charge. This from a guy where he works, they charge you $200 for a band-aid..... A lot of people don't appreciate what it costs to run a business, and are unwilling to pay a fair price for service.
Hey now... just because he wears scrubs doesn't mean he's highly paid.

FWIW: my day job is at Emanuel Hospital in Portland. (Ironically, within walking distance of Breadwinner Cycles and the defunct UBI site.) We wear scrubs as a hospital uniform from housekeepers to doctors. Me and the people in my department wear scrubs to distinguish ourselves from the patients and their families. We're not highly paid- many of us are working paycheck to paycheck. (I'm lucky enough to have a wife who is highly paid... and she facilitates my bicycling habit.) We know that the care we provide costs a lot but the revenue stream dries to a trickle when it gets to us.

Here's one example of why it costs what it does: https://www.wweek.com/news/2015/12/0...-empty-wallet/

Here's an analogy: imagine the best bike shop in existence. They can repair any bike, any day, in any way, at a moment's notice. You can walk in with any kind of repair, 24/7, and they would fix it without asking if you were prepared to pay for the repair. Don't you think that would cost more than the ordinary bike shop?

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 01-05-20, 11:26 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3884 Post(s)
Liked 6,478 Times in 3,205 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
That was the typical bike shop in the '70's.
I wish we could go back like Cornelius and Zira.
Old 01-06-20, 01:15 AM
The Thin Man 

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 114 Posts
Losing Norther is a damn shame. Although I left (less than a year ago; previous resident of 15 years), I feel like I can say that it's a hit to the Portland cycling community. They did some incredible custom frame and rack building at rock solid prices. The tiny team of two core fellas are passionate riders and poured their heart, soul and time into all of their builds. There was solid stock selection from outfits you love (VO, Compass/RH, Gilles Berthoud, etc.) along with respectable high/mid range vintage parts and advice. Oh yes, the advice. StarMichael taught me some tricks on how to polish metal that is easier, faster and comes with the most incredible shine I've ever seen. And still, nobody else (that I've seen) has ever mentioned his techniques. But people certainly noticed it on their builds. Could StarMichael do this out of any 'ole garage and sell his wares on the internet? Sure. I suppose. But, what dies with this shop is a little bit of bicycle culture. Bicycle infrastructure isn't all there is to a city. Gut the passion and subcultures and it becomes just a city that has some people riding scooters, bikes and fleeting food trends.
Most of "new Portland" won't miss this shop, but I will. I'm sorry to keep seeing Portland's soul being chipped away more and more. What a shame.

Last edited by The Thin Man; 01-06-20 at 01:30 AM.
Old 01-06-20, 01:25 AM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 87 Posts
God how depressing reading all this stuff about how bad a bike businesses is.
Just buy a store front cash$$$ and sell bikes and repair and offer a spin class section where you hang out. Oh you don't have 500k$$$ to buy a property? ? Don't go in business..
PS, only sell bikes or products that sell through you to have floor space.

Last edited by rossiny; 01-06-20 at 01:32 AM.
Old 01-06-20, 07:21 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3809 Post(s)
Liked 6,684 Times in 2,609 Posts
I worked in a couple of bike shops in the SF Bay area from 1986-1990. It was then that I first heard the adage, “How might you end up with a million dollars? Start with three million and open a bike shop.”

it’s never been an easy way to make a living/killing.
Old 01-06-20, 10:18 AM
SamSpade1941 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 54 Posts
There are currently three shops not including the co-op here.

how 2 of those shops stay in business is anyone’s guess

Santiam bicycles here in Salem seems to be empty of customers most of the time . They mostly cater to the MTB crowd but do have some road / gravel bikes

How they stay in business I’m not certain there’s hardly ever a customer in there when I’m there looking for a part or accessory .

Scotts is the local Trek dealer , they lost my business simply because they always seems almost distracted and even like they just didn’t want my money. Even after I gave them a lot of it buying a bike. When I decided to pull the trigger on a new touring bike I wanted to buy a new 520 Disc but after going back to the store they seemed just as uninterested in my money as they were last time I gave them a large pile of it. They seem to be really more interested in catering to the hard core roadie riding 700x23 tires than selling me a bike or accessories.

The bike peddler and my goto LBS in town is very busy most of the time . In fact they’re the busiest shop in town and despite that they’ve always been polite and helpful . Super nice folks who are happy to work on any bike you bring them . They probably have the best selection of bikes in town . When I ultimately get ready for a new bike that I don’t build myself I’ll buy it from them .

I think it’s noteworthy there was 4 shops up until a year or so back , South Salem Cycle Works went out of business but honestly that really didn’t shock me . A shame really because he had a C&V candy land of bikes and components . He also had a huge stock of Italian bikes for the hardcore sorts out there.

he was just notoriously hard and sometimes impossible to deal with . When he was going out of business he ended up keeping most of his stock because he refused to mark anything down . Weird guy with a lot of cool stuff though . I don’t miss him or his shop though , just his inventory which was cool to look out .

my understanding is most of his store income was actually ski and tandem rentals and not actual bike sales.
Old 01-06-20, 10:22 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 620 Posts
Guess socal must be the promised lad for bike shops. Within about a 20 mile radius of where I reside there are five or so Specialized concept stores, six or so Trek concept stores and a private owner with two locations. Of the ones I frequent, all seem healthy and the employees appear happy and typically stay for a long while (of course there are those getting advanced degrees that leave eventually). As I said before, no co-ops in the area that I know of.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.