Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Steerer Tube Cap Sizing Help

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-20, 03:40 PM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 113 Posts

I have a question about the headset cap on my bike. I have a Cane Creek Headset and ordered a used Cane Creek cap for it, just for the uniformity of it (1 inch steerer). When I got it, to my surprise, it was actually 1" in diameter and when installed, only covered the actual steerer tube. This left a crevice around and between the steerer tube and the stem where water would sit should it get wet during a wash or a rain storm. My old cap was a 1.3 inch diameter and covered the entire steerer tube and the top of the stem. If water hit it, it wouldn't fall between the steerer and the stem.

Where did I go wrong? The way this is set up, how would you tighten the headset? The cap wouldn't pull against anything but the top of the steerer tube.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by UKFan4Sure; 03-23-20 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-23-20, 04:13 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Yup, you need the larger cap. You could just use the Profile cap in the photo. I have a 1" CC Headset on my 1" steerer as well and the larger 1 1/8" cap was supplied with it to fit my 1 1/8' stem with a shim installed. Give CC a call if you want the cap with CC writing on it.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 03-23-20 at 04:23 PM.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 03-23-20, 04:17 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Take the cap off so that we can see if you have a shim on your stem so that a possible 1 1/8 stem can fit a 1" steer tube. You need a cap that fits the stem, not the steer tube
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 03-23-20, 04:24 PM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

Originally Posted by alcjphil
Take the cap off so that we can see if you have a shim on your stem so that a possible 1 1/8 stem can fit a 1" steer tube. You need a cap that fits the stem, not the steer tube
Ahhh.... Maybe that's the problem as there is a shim over the carbon steerer. I thought that shim was standard with a carbon steerers to provide some sort of equalization of the clamping forces. I see now you are correct. Maybe the Profile Designs cap is actually for the stem, which is 1-1/8, needing that shim to make up the difference? I feel like an idiot...
Old 03-23-20, 04:27 PM
alcjphil

Originally Posted by UKFan4Sure
Ahhh.... Maybe that's the problem as there is a shim over the carbon steerer. I thought that shim was standard with a carbon steerers to provide some sort of equalization of the clamping forces. I see now you are correct. Maybe the Profile Designs cap is actually for the stem, which is 1-1/8, needing that shim to make up the difference? I feel like an idiot...
No need. I only thought of this because I have a bike with a 1" steer tube and a 1 1/8" stem. Not all that many bikes around with 1" threadless forks. Mine is one of them
Old 03-23-20, 04:30 PM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

No need. I only thought of this because I have a bike with a 1" steer tube and a 1 1/8" stem. Not all that many bikes around with 1" threadless forks. Mine is one of them
Problem solved. And an expensive mistake...
Old 03-23-20, 04:30 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
You're not an idiot. That's something you don't run across too much these days as 1" steerers are becoming scarce with threadless setups. With a shim you have far more choices for stems if you decide to get another at some point.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 03-23-20, 04:52 PM
alcjphil

Problem solved. And an expensive mistake...
How expensive could a stem cap be? Did you buy other stuff at the same time?
Old 03-23-20, 04:59 PM
alcjphil

Originally Posted by Crankycrank
You're not an idiot. That's something you don't run across too much these days as 1" steerers are becoming scarce with threadless setups. With a shim you have far more choices for stems if you decide to get another at some point.
1" carbon steer tubes are almost extinct. I only thought of this because I have a touring bike with a steel 1" threadless fork. 1" carbon threadless forks are basically unicorns
Old 03-23-20, 06:07 PM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

How expensive could a stem cap be? Did you buy other stuff at the same time?
No, bought nothing else, so shipping is the issue. I paid $14 for the cap. It's a nice one, though. It's one inch. If you should need a 1" unicorn. It also came with the star-fangled washer and bolt.
Old 03-23-20, 10:34 PM
alcjphil

No, bought nothing else, so shipping is the issue. I paid $14 for the cap. It's a nice one, though. It's one inch. If you should need a 1" unicorn. It also came with the star-fangled washer and bolt.
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound flippant. Everything you buy that doesn't work out is expensive. My apologies.
Likes For alcjphil: