Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Frame bags and cross frames

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-20, 09:33 AM
SamSpade1941 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 54 Posts
Frame bags and cross frames

So I have been considering a frame bag for my Ridley but with the traditional top tube cable routing I am slightly concerned the bag would interfere with braking and shifting. Has anyone used a frame bag with the more traditional or older style cable routing and what were your experiences?
Old 04-17-20, 09:53 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by SamSpade1941
So I have been considering a frame bag for my Ridley but with the traditional top tube cable routing I am slightly concerned the bag would interfere with braking and shifting. Has anyone used a frame bag with the more traditional or older style cable routing and what were your experiences?
Are the cables exposed or does your bike use full length housing? I'm guessing they are exposed. If that's the case you can find bags with straps that will run underneath the cables. Generally speaking that won't have much affect on braking/shifting as long as the straps aren't creating too much friction. Obviously you can't install the straps over the cables, but I think that goes without saying.
Old 04-17-20, 09:54 AM
SamSpade1941 

They're exposed cable , and I appreciate the input. I just was concerned they may cause issue running the straps over the cables . Ill buy a frame bag and give it a try .
Old 04-17-20, 10:08 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Yeah, my old MTB and CX bikes are like that. Nope, never had a problem. Generally a single strip of velcro can go under the cables without an issue. That nylon doesn't cause much (if any) drag on the cable anyway...
Old 04-17-20, 12:58 PM
shoota 

Originally Posted by SamSpade1941
They're exposed cable , and I appreciate the input. I just was concerned they may cause issue running the straps over the cables . Ill buy a frame bag and give it a try .
Yeah go under the cables, not over them.
Old 04-17-20, 01:01 PM
SamSpade1941 

Originally Posted by shoota
Yeah go under the cables, not over them.
Got it

Thanks
Old 04-17-20, 07:15 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
My old gravel frame, that's now a commuting bike, has 3 exposed cables on the top of the top tube.
I used a smaller frame bag(not one that takes up the whole triangle for sure) on it and there was never an issue.
I tried the straps under cables, but ended up moving the straps over the cables. There seemed to be more cable displacement when the straps were under the cables.

just place some donuts(drop of superglue for each) on the cables under the bag and the cables will stay off the frame which will keep paint from scratching.
Old 04-17-20, 08:11 PM
SamSpade1941 

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
My old gravel frame, that's now a commuting bike, has 3 exposed cables on the top of the top tube.
I used a smaller frame bag(not one that takes up the whole triangle for sure) on it and there was never an issue.
I tried the straps under cables, but ended up moving the straps over the cables. There seemed to be more cable displacement when the straps were under the cables.

just place some donuts(drop of superglue for each) on the cables under the bag and the cables will stay off the frame which will keep paint from scratching.
Thanks for the tip it definitely looks easier than going under the cables for certain
Old 04-24-20, 07:37 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Another option is to put liner on the exposed cable sections the next time you change cables. Then you can run the straps over or under the cables without worrying about damaging the frame or the straps.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...&category=3979
Old 04-24-20, 11:30 AM
shoota 

Originally Posted by aggiegrads
Another option is to put liner on the exposed cable sections the next time you change cables. Then you can run the straps over or under the cables without worrying about damaging the frame or the straps.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...&category=3979
Have you tried this? I have liner installed on my cross bike and I still don't think I'd run a bag strap over the top of it. Even if it worked I'd imagine it would wear out the liner at some point.
Old 04-24-20, 01:42 PM
wheelsmcgee

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
This was my experience too. I had a cheapo Nashbar triangle frame bag that would mount to the rear of the main triangle, adjacent to the seat tube...I think it had two Velcro straps over the top tube, I know at least front strap regularly was snugged up against exposed cables (top-of-top-tube, cross style) to no ill-effect...both derailer cables and rear brake.

Essentially, one is not going to be able to strap down the Velcro tight enough to noticeably affect the pull required to actuate brakes/derailers, and the small amount of displacement of the cable by being “smushed” translates to a truly minuscule difference in cable tension.
Old 04-24-20, 08:25 PM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
Have you tried this? I have liner installed on my cross bike and I still don't think I'd run a bag strap over the top of it. Even if it worked I'd imagine it would wear out the liner at some point.
I have not used the liner that I posted a link to, but I did use very small diameter and thin-walled teflon tubing; I don’t remember where I got it. Yes, it would probably wear out the. Liner at some point, but I would rather sacrifice the liner than a frame bag strap or my paint job. You could also just go all-in and use a length of housing.
Old 04-25-20, 11:03 AM
jfranci3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Move the bag to the seattube side? otherwise, just run a bit of housing where you want the straps to cross the cables. Maybe use thin plastic package strapping for the rear? For a bento box or another strap idea, you can put feet on the box/strap - https://www.lowes.com/pd/Prime-Line-...r-Door/3824567