Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Would you rather... spacers and stems

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-22-20, 12:22 PM
RockiesDad

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts

Assuming the math works out to be equal, almost, would you rather use 20mm of spacers with a -6deg stem or flip the stem and slam it to the head tube (no or 5mm spacer) with +6deg stem? I think the stem in the negative direction would make the stem look almost level but raised off the head tube. Whereas the positive direction would give you the slammed look but would give a rising stem look. So, which way? BTW which way is the "correct" way to install a stem. Negative or positive direction?
Old 05-22-20, 12:31 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,451 Times in 1,823 Posts
Purely personal aesthetics.
Old 05-22-20, 01:14 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by RockiesDad
Assuming the math works out to be equal, almost, would you rather use 20mm of spacers with a -6deg stem or flip the stem and slam it to the head tube (no or 5mm spacer) with +6deg stem? I think the stem in the negative direction would make the stem look almost level but raised off the head tube. Whereas the positive direction would give you the slammed look but would give a rising stem look. So, which way? BTW which way is the "correct" way to install a stem. Negative or positive direction?
I have 20mm of spacers and an 11cm -6 stem angled down (so the combination of the -6 and the 73 HT angle results in a mild stem angle of +11). I could probably achieve similar bar height by ditching the spacers and flipping the stem, but it would look goofy IMO. There's no "correct" way to install a treadless stem - indeed, many have the decals printed in both orientations - it comes down to personal preference and how best to finally position the bars. I'd rather a few spacers than a sharply up-angled stem.

Last edited by Litespud; 05-22-20 at 01:27 PM.
Old 05-22-20, 02:35 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
A benefit to going with the -deg stem and leaving spacers underneath is that it leaves more steerer tube intact for future adjustment, assuming you cut the tube so you're not running a stack of spacers above. You would cut the steerer, right? If you care about aesthetics, that would be more important than the stem angle.

​​​​​
Likes For surak:
Old 05-22-20, 04:37 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
A benefit to going with the -deg stem and leaving spacers underneath is that it leaves more steerer tube intact for future adjustment, assuming you cut the tube so you're not running a stack of spacers above. You would cut the steerer, right? If you care about aesthetics, that would be more important than the stem angle.

​​​​​
My thoughts run very much along these same lines. Another thought: A steer tube cut to the minimum so that the stem can be run without spacers yet with the stem flipped to its upward angle is probably going to look strange, just my input. I actually was in a situation where I wanted to raise my bars a bit and reduce reach. I flipped my stem and cut a spacer's worth off my steer tube. It helped a bit, but the final solution was the same frame in a size 1 cm smaller with a top tube about 1 cm shorter. I reused the same fork, but the new head tube meant that I needed to add a spacer. I flipped the stem back down, and voila, perfect fit. This bike went from one that I liked to ride to a bike that I love to ride. Appearance be darned, I want a good fit along with a bit of fudge room. I would never cut a steer tube to its minimum

Last edited by alcjphil; 05-22-20 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-22-20, 07:54 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Appearance be darned, I want a good fit along with a bit of fudge room. I would never cut a steer tube to its minimum
I’m OK with cutting a steerer right down because it looks much better, but I won’t do it impulsively. My last fork, I cut it to leave ~20mm above the stem, then spent most of a year experimenting with the stem height, 5mm up or down for maybe a month at a time. Once I had settled on a height, I left it for a few months before I cut it down. It’s where I want it, and it looks good. I’m not going to have an ugly stump sticking up out of my stem just to convenience some hypothetical future owner. If, down the road, I need a couple of centimeters extra height, I have a spare fork with a little extra steerer length in the parts box
Old 05-22-20, 08:22 PM
RockiesDad

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by surak

​​​​​
This makes very good sense. Once you cut it you can't go back. But I will cut the excess above the stem once I find the perfect height but will even leave a bit up there just in case...

Thanks...
Old 05-22-20, 10:58 PM
gorillimo

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Specialized Enduro Pro, Lemond Tourmalet

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Yep! Currently, I’m running this setup. Works for me. Riding a half century tomorrow...
Old 05-30-20, 07:29 AM
Commuter59

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was wondering if you could tell me the components of your cross check. I am in the process of having LBS build one from frame I purchased online. I would like to do it at a reasonable cost. I love your handlebars and bell!

Last edited by Commuter59; 05-30-20 at 07:31 AM. Reason: would like to include quote
Old 05-30-20, 07:33 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Absolutely, and it depends on the type, style, size, and fit of the bike.
Old 05-30-20, 07:41 AM
Commuter59

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really like gorillimo's bike set-up, but I would put fenders on mine. The price of the wheels and tires they I have been quoted seems high. Bontrager Paradigm 700c TLR $380.00 for set of wheels and $130.00 for Bontrager GR! 700x40 tires. Thanks for any input.