Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

My first build: early 70s French 531 frameset

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

My first build: early 70s French 531 frameset

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-20, 08:12 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
I have a LeJeune with similar metalwork.
it has a Campagnolo steel record headset.
as this frame has been repainted, test, don’t guess- there were a few cable hangars that attach to the stem - if centerpull brakes are planned.
Campsgnolo or Mafac- I did not look at the seatpost binder area to review if a hangar was brazed in place.
with the factory bolt arrangement a bit more ingenuity is required if none is present.
Old 12-17-20, 08:17 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Just looked at binder- I think side pills are the way to go and get a longer seat post binder bolt. For mine, the bolt in stainless steel required reducing the diameter of the socket head. ( mounted in a drill motor, run against a grinder ) I then chamfered the top to mimic the OEM bolt. Looks pretty factory.
stainless vs chrome
Old 12-17-20, 09:31 AM
JJ Mango 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CV-6
The VO stack height is 41mm. You will need to get a brake hanger in that 41mm unless you plan to either drill the stem for the cable to pass through or intend to use a stem mounted hanger.
Thanks, Lynn. I just checked and tightening by hand there's almost exactly 3 full rotations of the top locknut without the brake hanger. So, I expect I'll be cutting it short as you warned. Once the MAFACs arrive I'll check again to see by how much. Chances are I will be sending you a message down the line about the stem mounted hanger - thank you for the offer!
Old 01-09-21, 10:43 PM
JJ Mango 

Hello, I'm back again with another question. I was able to track down a NOS Stronglight P3 headset, which I hope will ensure I have adequate space to fit the brake hanger. I have 38.2mm of steerer tube to work with total, and the brake hanger is a little over 2.5mm. I have some 2.5mm spacers on hand in case I need a little extra height.

But before I get there, I just realized the P3's fork crown race is 26.8mm while the fork crown seat is only 26.6mm. In another thread from a few years back verktyg recommends making a shim from an aluminum beverage can or using Loctite bearing mount. Does anyone have experience with these or other tactics for making up .2mm worth of wiggle room?

Thanks as always for any guidance!
Old 01-09-21, 11:07 PM
1 Lugnut

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Colnago Super, Mondia Super, Mondia Special, Mondia Prestige (for sale 55cm),Titan Star, Titan Exklusiv, Windsor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by JJ Mango
I just realized the P3's fork crown race is 26.8mm while the fork crown seat is only 26.6mm. In another thread from a few years back verktyg recommends making a shim from an aluminum beverage can or using Loctite bearing mount. Does anyone have experience with these or other tactics for making up .2mm worth of wiggle room?
I’ve used aluminum tape to take up the difference on the fork crown. Tape has a sticky back & I cut it to fit. Once the race is on there good, it can’t go anywhere. Prolly something you should keep an eye on periodically...as you ride though?

Last edited by 1 Lugnut; 01-09-21 at 11:22 PM.
Likes For 1 Lugnut:
Old 03-30-21, 08:26 PM
JJ Mango 

At long last, I had the pleasure of taking this ripper out for its first (in a long time, anyway) ride this afternoon. I learned a ton, made a lot of mistakes, met many generous enthusiasts with invaluable advice, and in general had a blast putting it together.

It's fully vintage French besides housing, bar tape, spokes, and tires. My proudest find was the Tevano crankset and BB (with dust caps!), the most challenging endeavor was building the wheels and not scratching the beautiful Maillard hubs, and first on the upgrade list are the brake hoods and small components which are in pretty rough shape.

Special thanks to C&V members WolfgangVerne for the Huret derailleur and bertinjim for the Spidel pedals (clips & straps to be added soon).

Down the road, I'd like to put some fresh paint and Lejeune decals on it, but for now the Iowa snow has melted and it's time to see what this guy can do.

Likes For JJ Mango:
Old 03-31-21, 03:45 AM
KenNC

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
Nice to see that all assembled, and with interesting, high quality French components! Thought you originally wanted to go with clinchers but those look like tubulars--I didn't get into tubulars until I started riding vintage bikes, but am glad I've gone that route. Have that Huret success derailleur on a Jeunet of mine and really like it. Looks like the Huret Jubilee downtube shifters (can't quite see), which I think are the best looking shifters out there, but myself I can't quite get used to the feel of them--they have a long "throw" and don't have a positive stop, at least for me. (Hmm, I've looked again, and now think you have different shifters). Anyway, hope it rides for you as good as it looks!
Old 03-31-21, 07:33 AM
JJ Mango 

Originally Posted by KenNC
Nice to see that all assembled, and with interesting, high quality French components! Thought you originally wanted to go with clinchers but those look like tubulars--I didn't get into tubulars until I started riding vintage bikes, but am glad I've gone that route. Have that Huret success derailleur on a Jeunet of mine and really like it. Looks like the Huret Jubilee downtube shifters (can't quite see), which I think are the best looking shifters out there, but myself I can't quite get used to the feel of them--they have a long "throw" and don't have a positive stop, at least for me. (Hmm, I've looked again, and now think you have different shifters). Anyway, hope it rides for you as good as it looks!
Yes, the C&V tubular evangelists convinced me, and I'm glad I listened! I was nervous but prep and install with Tufo Tape was extremely simple. The Conti's were within my budget and I'm very happy with them so far, but I'd love to get a pair of Vittoria Corsa's with the tan walls whenever these wear out.

As for the shifters, I'm not certain of the model. I think they might be Huret Record? In any case, they're perfectly functional so far though I suspect they're a touring model as they're a bit longer than others I've seen. They came with a handsome shiny clamp and the classic D-ring screws which unfortunately were a different thread than the frame's braze-on bosses. I found a very helpful verktyg thread explaining the originals were likely bâtard 5mm x 1mm French threads while the bosses were 5mm x .8mm ISO standard threads. All to say, if anyone has D-Ring screws with an ISO thread in their parts bin....
Old 03-31-21, 08:50 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by JJ Mango
At long last, I had the pleasure of taking this ripper out for its first (in a long time, anyway) ride this afternoon. I learned a ton, made a lot of mistakes, met many generous enthusiasts with invaluable advice, and in general had a blast putting it together.

It's fully vintage French besides housing, bar tape, spokes, and tires. My proudest find was the Tevano crankset and BB (with dust caps!), the most challenging endeavor was building the wheels and not scratching the beautiful Maillard hubs, and first on the upgrade list are the brake hoods and small components which are in pretty rough shape.

Special thanks to C&V members WolfgangVerne for the Huret derailleur and bertinjim for the Spidel pedals (clips & straps to be added soon).

Down the road, I'd like to put some fresh paint and Lejeune decals on it, but for now the Iowa snow has melted and it's time to see what this guy can do.

snip . . .

The bike came out great. Nice job. The IA snow melted some time ago. One of these days we need to put together an IA C&V ride. There are a few of us here.
Old 03-31-21, 11:09 AM
bertinjim 

Bikes: 1970s Alex Singer, 1960s Peugeot PX 10, 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1972 Carlton Kermesse, 1981 Peugeot PX 14 Super Competition

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 157 Posts
JJMango-

Looks excellent!