Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Interested in knowing more about my old bike

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 05-24-21, 11:18 PM
mckinnon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi, I have had this bike for about 5 years know and was thinking if I want to try to switch out some parts or if I should buy a new bike. Specifically would be switching the handle bars for some drop bars, need to get new tires, and maybe new wheels. I wanted to know if this is a quality bike or if the parts are good parts.

It is a Sekai Bigfoot, I was unable to find a serial number on the bottom bracket but it may be covered by a bracket that the shifter cable is running through. Is this a good bike or is there a place to see more information about it? It was made in Taiwan and says it is made with chromoly steel.

Parts:

Shimano Exage 300 LX crankset, front derailleur, back derailleur

Shimano Deore LX shifter / brake lever

Tektro oryx cantilever brakes front

Shimano cantilever brakes back

Can't add photos yet since my account is new, but I will add some in a reply if I can there.

Thank you for your thoughts and help.
Old 05-25-21, 07:09 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 405 Posts
What are you wanting to ultimately accomplish? Tires are routine wear items, why change the wheels, lighter maybe? Drop bars get expensive fast, possible stem replaced, new shifters, new brake levers, maybe new brakes to work correctly with the levers, new cables and housings. I would sure look around for a used road bike you fancy and see what you can get for your bike as a check on on all of this $ , time and possible frustration.
Old 05-25-21, 07:26 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
*Most* bikes made in Taiwan and made of chromoly are going to be of fairly good quality. The parts you list sound like a mid-range model (with the exception of the more modern Oryx brake). If you have a bike co-op nearby, you could probably tinker all the changes you're considering. I wouldn't really bother upgrading the wheels unless they're really bad, but an upgrade of tires (and potentially tubes if they're slime) will be a noticeable upgrade.
Old 05-25-21, 07:44 AM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 860 Times in 414 Posts
OP album,
https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/21488457

Last edited by daverup; 05-25-21 at 07:50 AM.
Old 05-25-21, 07:51 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Welcome to the forums. The subject bicycle should be a 1990 model, as Shimano introduced their 300LX components that year and it was also the last year that Norco marketed their Sekai brand. The Bigfoot was the top model in the Sekai line of 7 ATB models and sold for $400 US. However, despite it's position in the line, it was not a high end model. Norco was marketing Sekai as more of an entry level brand, with the higher end ATB models being offered under their Fiori and Norco brands. From an overall ATB market perspective. it was more of a very low mid-range model. Norco themselves were marketing ATBs up to $1,000 US and 300LX was 6th in Shimano's line of 7 ATB groups. FYI, while CrMo tubing was employed, it was only for the three main tubes. Lower grade hi-ternilse steel was employed in the forks and rear triangle as a cost concession to hit the target price.

While it is only very low mid-range, it should be solid and depedable bicycle, though relatively heavy. You mention drop bars and new wheels but don't say if the intention is to create a road bicycle, gravel bicycle or cyclo-cross bicycle. It could certainly function reasonably well in the last two, with appropriate tyres, though the question is how much to sink into it, as it will always be a compomise and somewhat heavy.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 05-25-21, 07:54 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,561 Times in 3,763 Posts
Pic Assist

Old 05-25-21, 05:02 PM
mckinnon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the information on my current bike.

I would say my original thoughts were to get a gravel bike or a road bike since I don't think I would spend much time not riding on paved roads. I was looking at a some used bikes priced around $1000, but was trying to decide if I should just work with what I already had.

I was looking at a few on Facebook marketplace like a 2018 Kona Wheelhouse Road Bike, 2016 Fuji Altamira XC 1.3, 2017 KONA JAKE THE SNAKE, 2021 Salsa.
Likes For mckinnon:
Old 05-25-21, 05:14 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4507 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by mckinnon
Thanks for the information on my current bike.

I would say my original thoughts were to get a gravel bike or a road bike since I don't think I would spend much time not riding on paved roads. I was looking at a some used bikes priced around $1000, but was trying to decide if I should just work with what I already had.

I was looking at a few on Facebook marketplace like a 2018 Kona Wheelhouse Road Bike, 2016 Fuji Altamira XC 1.3, 2017 KONA JAKE THE SNAKE, 2021 Salsa.
That's a fine basic bike for whatever you want to do with it IMO, I would encourage you to keep it and then also pursue a dedicated road bike that can also do what you want it to do.

Dig around on here and look for these being converted to drop bar tourer/gravel grinders, etc. We have a lot of folks that can diversify bikes like there is no tomorrow.
Likes For merziac:
Old 05-26-21, 01:24 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,745 Times in 1,189 Posts
Interesting, appears to be the same as a Norco Bigfoot. Nice mid-level components and a conversation-starter frame design. Definitely a keeper and good gravel/drop conversion candidate. There's a whole thread here on C&V titled something like "Show your MTB drop-bar conversion".
Old 05-26-21, 07:24 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Interesting, appears to be the same as a Norco Bigfoot...
It would be the same as the 1990 Canadian market Norco Bigfoot. Norco acquired the Sekai brand in 1983 but continued to market the Sekai brand in the USA through 1990, due to the low recognition and prestige of the Norco brand in the USA. Norco started phasing in their eponymous brand by replacing the top Sekai ATB models with Norco ATB models. This built up the recogntion and image of the Norco brand in the USA, as initially there were no low end Norco ATB models. Sekai would be dropped in the USA for 1991, with all the models, including the Bigfoot, being marketed under the Norco marque.
Old 05-26-21, 09:09 AM
mckinnon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the help, I'll take a look for those conversion threads and whatever I decide to do I will definitely be keeping it.
Old 05-26-21, 08:31 PM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
Here's that thread. Might want to pack a lunch!
Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions
Old 05-26-21, 09:40 PM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by mckinnon
It is a Sekai Bigfoot, I was unable to find a serial number on the bottom bracket but it may be covered by a bracket that the shifter cable is running through. Is this a good bike or is there a place to see more information about it? It was made in Taiwan and says it is made with chromoly steel.

Hello mckinnon,

welcome to the forum.

The serial number is not on the bottom bracket. It is on the down tube and may be difficult to read.

The serial number in the picture starts with A8908, where 89 is the year of frame manufacture and 08 is the month of frame manufacture
Likes For Hummer: