Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Cino MMXXI

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-21, 01:14 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,443 Times in 646 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
For me, the skankiness has a certain appeal.
This could very well be one of the greatest Cino quotes of all time.
Likes For Roger M:
Old 06-29-21, 01:15 PM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
Originally Posted by davester
I'm in! A question regarding Sunday...would it make sense to depart after getting back to Kila or are there festivities and awards ceremonies going on into the night (also what about the truck with our stuff from Hot Springs?)?
Folks gather at the Kila Pub at the end of the ride on Sunday. It is totally informal, but nearly everyone stays for a couple hours. The pub grub is pretty good, the beer is cold. One last chance to enjoy the Cino tribe before heading off in our separate directions.
Old 06-29-21, 01:22 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,291 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by northbend
Folks gather at the Kila Pub at the end of the ride on Sunday. It is totally informal, but nearly everyone stays for a couple hours. The pub grub is pretty good, the beer is cold. One last chance to enjoy the Cino tribe before heading off in our separate directions.
What time do folks typically arrive there? (barring crashes and disastrous mechanical breakdowns that is)
Old 06-29-21, 01:37 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
Originally Posted by Roger M
This could very well be one of the greatest Cino quotes of all time.
@northbend's description is even better. Holding his thumb and forefinger a couple of milllimeters apart, he told me "Symes Hot Springs is this close to being too skanky."

In other words, perfect for this ride.
Old 06-29-21, 01:41 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by davester
What time do folks typically arrive there? (barring crashes and disastrous mechanical breakdowns that is)
Time has no meaning in those parts.

In 2019 I got a late start Sunday, rode/walked up 9 mile hill, spent a lot of time drinking beer and a martini resting at the top, probably got into Kila around 5ish?
Old 06-30-21, 11:46 AM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Sunday is more relaxed and un-structured than Saturday even though the biggest effort of the weekend for most folks is '9 mile hill'.
Sleepy, a little tired, sore and stiff, folks kind of drift out of Hot Springs in the morning after breakfast in loose groups.
2012 Cino 18 by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr
Heading out of Hot Springs by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr
Hans! by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr
2012 Cino 19 by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr
P1030129 by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

You will have made some new friends over the weekend.
This is your chance savor those you have met and what you have experienced...you won't want to rush this
Dave 1 by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr
Luminaries by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Pranza (lunch) at the bottom of 9 mile hill: Some folks eat lightly and get an early start on the hill while other linger, putting off the effort the effort they know is ahead of them.
If you're nervous about the climb ahead don't drink any beer and get an early start.
P1030142 by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Hopefully (as in most years) there will be a cold beer waiting for you at the top of the climb at Browns Meadow pass.
2012 Cino 22 by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr
Likes For northbend:
Old 06-30-21, 08:40 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by northbend
Sunday is more relaxed and un-structured than Saturday even though the biggest effort of the weekend for most folks is '9 mile hill'.
Sleepy, a little tired, sore and stiff, folks kind of drift out of Hot Springs in the morning after breakfast in loose groups.

Hopefully (as in most years) there will be a cold beer waiting for you at the top of the climb at Browns Meadow pass.
2012 Cino 22 by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr
The tandem crew!

One of my goals as Director is to guarantee beer at the top of 9-mile hill - that’s a non-negotiable! One year I made it up there with nothing to greet me and I was very sad indeed.

I think it was Choke who brought martini-fixings last Cino - that was equally awesome!
Likes For mountaindave:
Old 06-30-21, 08:59 PM
northbend 

Choke saves the day up on Browns Meadow Pass!
Choke serves up Martinis on Brown's Meadow summit. by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr
Old 06-30-21, 09:41 PM
Choke 
Disciple of St. Tullio

Bikes: Ciöcc, Bianchi, DeRosa, Eddy Merckx, Frejus, Hampsten, Kondor, Losa, Magni, Pegoretti, Pelizzoli, Pogliaghi, Scapin

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 140 Posts
There will be martinis this year too. Last year was a spur of the moment idea..... I'll be better prepared this year.
Likes For Choke:
Old 06-30-21, 10:00 PM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
We're checking in at Symes Friday 8/27...checking out Monday morning 8/30, I should have room for 2 other riders + their bikes if any need a lift to Kila Saturday morning. Leaving from Symes around 6:20 AM to ensure time to get bikes apart/loaded/unloaded & back together. Offer is for a direct ride from Hot Springs to Kila with no detours to Kalispel for food/coffee etc. My Stella in back with front wheel off

Ride to Kila offer
Looks like still room for 2 more bikes Plus 1 empty seat in front and 1 in back. Probably need to take off pedals also. I will bring a pedal wrench + some pads/blankets and we'll fit 3 bikes in one way or another. PM me if you have need. Don

Last edited by ollo_ollo; 07-02-21 at 09:08 AM. Reason: correct dates
Old 06-30-21, 11:00 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by ollo_ollo
We're checking in at Symes Friday 8/27...checking out Monday morning 8/29, I should have room for 2 other riders + their bikes if any need a lift to Kila Saturday morning. Leaving from Symes around 6:20 AM to ensure time to get bikes apart/loaded/unloaded & back together. Offer is for a direct ride from Hot Springs to Kila with no detours to Kalispel for food/coffee etc. My Stella in back with front wheel off

Ride to Kila offer
Looks like still room for 2 more bikes Plus 1 empty seat in front and 1 in back. Probably need to take off pedals also. I will bring a pedal wrench + some pads/blankets and we'll fit 3 bikes in one way or another. PM me if you have need. Don
Thanks for posting that, Don! There are several people I know staying overnight in Hot Springs for the duration, your offer will help alleviate transportation fears, and is in the true Cino spirit.
Old 07-01-21, 05:36 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,802 Times in 1,408 Posts
Kila Pub. Apologies for the fuzzy pics, I had to ride through rain to get there.

Cino 147 by iabisdb, on Flickr

Cino 148 by iabisdb, on Flickr
Old 07-01-21, 10:12 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
Originally Posted by ollo_ollo
We're checking in at Symes Friday 8/27...checking out Monday morning 8/29, I should have room for 2 other riders + their bikes if any need a lift to Kila Saturday morning. Leaving from Symes around 6:20 AM to ensure time to get bikes apart/loaded/unloaded & back together. Offer is for a direct ride from Hot Springs to Kila with no detours to Kalispel for food/coffee etc. My Stella in back with front wheel off

Ride to Kila offer
Thanks for posting that, Don! There are several people I know staying overnight in Hot Springs for the duration, your offer will help alleviate transportation fears, and is in the true Cino spirit.
I am also at Symes 27 to 29 monday check out. it would be good to share a ride if possible, fewer vehicles maybe meet up friday night and coordinate.

I can also drive myself if others have no transport.. I am driving an audi A4 and plan on no rack for better mileage as I doing a bit longer trip and stopping several places in MT to visit my dad and brothers (in 3 different towns) so could probably fit my bike and one other.....

I am planning on bringing a selection of tools and my miscellaneous bits and pieces box

for veterans other than carrying 2 tubes and a patch kit any suggestions for other spares...tire or ???

Old 07-01-21, 10:20 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by squirtdad
I am also at Symes 27 to 29 monday check out. it would be good to share a ride if possible, fewer vehicles maybe meet up friday night and coordinate.

I can also drive myself if others have no transport.. I am driving an audi A4 and plan on no rack for better mileage as I doing a bit longer trip and stopping several places in MT to visit my dad and brothers (in 3 different towns) so could probably fit my bike and one other.....

I am planning on bringing a selection of tools and my miscellaneous bits and pieces box

for veterans other than carrying 2 tubes and a patch kit any suggestions for other spares...tire or ???
Looks like fun times to be had by all at the Symes! Thanks for that offer.

As far as tools go, bring whatever wrenches you need to tighten up stuff. Rosary beads wouldn't hurt

It's been well sagged in the past. In 2019 I had a double pinch flat on the descent after 9 mile hill. About the time I replaced the tubes, @Choke pulled up with a Silca floor pump and reinflated me. 2 minutes later @northbend had a double flat, again @Choke was there. I was able to catch Bob Freeman climbing up 9 mile hill as he was on the side of the road with a seized derailleur pulley, and another pickup had pulled over that happened to have some automatic transission fluid that was used to lubricate said pulley and get him back on the road.

A spare tire wouldn't be a bad idea, at least a boot kit, even if it's just the infamous dollar bill trick. Something happens and you're stuck on the side of the road, you'll have dozens of grizzly veterans who will pull over and either help you out or give you grief. Probably both.
Old 07-01-21, 11:23 AM
VRJAKE 

Bikes: Bakers dozen is the limit!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 140 Posts
Also staying at the Symes 3 nights. Coming from Portland, thinking flying is best, but rent cars are spendy and possibly scarce. Would then be at the mercy and be grateful for kindness of others for transpo back n forth.

Hmm, as for bike, choice between the 2 green bikes in the basement. 1. 1996 Riv All Rounder - is it to MTB like? 2. 1960's British bike - Wally Green, curtesy of Bisbee Bicycle Brothel.
Old 07-01-21, 11:55 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
The organizers were pretty tolerant in 2019, I don't think anyone got turned away for not meeting all the criteria and there was at least 1 young guy (at my age they're all young) riding an early StumpJumper, you just may not get the "CINO" stamp on your number tag. Don
Old 07-01-21, 02:02 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
I am planning on bringing a selection of tools and my miscellaneous bits and pieces box...for veterans other than carrying 2 tubes and a patch kit any suggestions for other spares...tire or ???
Great idea to bring spare bits and pieces (especially chainring bolts!), and I'd also suggest some tire boot material. I flatted at the bottom of the big descent on Day 1 (immediately following pranza) and discovered it wasn't a typical puncture but a well-cut sidewall. Booted it and used a mini-pump from one of the riders who stopped to offer assistance. I ended up flatting again not 100 yards further because the mini-pump couldn't get me up to my optimal tire pressure and I snake-bit that tube. Waited for the moto with the floor pump; when it arrived I got the tire up to the correct pressure. No issues after that, although the sidewall looked like it was trying to birth something:

Maybe a CO2 inflator, just in case? I'm bringing mine - just in case

DD
Old 07-01-21, 02:31 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Don't overthink the tools bit.

There is a magical mystery on Cino. Whatever you need will appear, magically when you need it.

The thing I really need is right around halfway up 9 mile hill. I'll need a second wind.
Old 07-01-21, 03:14 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,443 Times in 646 Posts
Thomas and I are on the roster. We'll be on the tandem.

DD gets photo credit for this shot a few years back(Apologies for steeling the picture)

Likes For Roger M:
Old 07-01-21, 03:21 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Don't overthink the tools bit.

There is a magical mystery on Cino. Whatever you need will appear, magically when you need it.

The thing I really need is right around halfway up 9 mile hill. I'll need a second wind.
please tell me 9 mile hill is named because it starts at mile 9, not because it is 9 miles long.

Old 07-01-21, 03:52 PM
iab

please tell me 9 mile hill is named because it starts at mile 9, not because it is 9 miles long.
Technically, it is 9 miles long. But in reality, you really only need to worry about 5 miles of it.

Old 07-01-21, 04:04 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

I told a buddy of mine my lowest gear on my bike was 24 inches.

He told me his was two feet.
Old 07-01-21, 04:11 PM
squirtdad

I am going to make sure the shoes I wear are comfortable for walking in the event my triple front and mega range rear are not enough (really if training and weight loss between now and then are not enough)

Old 07-01-21, 04:24 PM
iab

I was making my way up, slowly, but getting there, on 47 inches when Matt (northbend) blew by me riding 51 inches. I know I'm old, fat and slow, but I just don't like the reminder.
Old 07-01-21, 04:25 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

I am going to make sure the shoes I wear are comfortable for walking in the event my triple front and mega range rear are not enough (really if training and weight loss between now and then are not enough)
I just thought up a way to retire early.

Act now, and for 3 easy payments of $999/month I'll do a hidden e-bike conversion for Bike Forum members. If you want to scoot to the front of the line for a guar-an-teed finish pre-Cino, a very fair $499 add-on will get it done.

*Batteries not included.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.