Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cyclist killed in Montreal

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 05-18-21, 08:26 PM
homeless in ca.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 41 Posts

A 50-year-old died in hospital after she was struck by a vehicle while cycling on l’Anse-à-L’Orme near Senneville Road on Tuesday at the border of Senneville and Pierrefonds.
Witness statements obtained by police indicate the vehicle was heading south on l’Anse-à-L’Orme, while the cyclist was going North. Brabant explained the crash happened after the vehicle, for an unknown reason, continued on its trajectory in a curve hitting the cyclist.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7873095/c...d-pierrefonds/

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle...eville-voiture

l’Anse-à-L’Orme road and Senneville
https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4478...7i16384!8i8192
Likes For homeless in ca.:
Old 05-20-21, 06:05 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
I ride that stretch of road frequently, so I know it well. The bike lanes on either side of the road give the impression to drivers that it is a highway even though the speed limit is 50 kph. Speeding is common, I have been passed by drivers doing twice the legal limit. That curve is much gentler than the photo seems to show, no reason for a car to go off into the trees. We ride our mountain bikes in the woods on either side of the road. Yesterday I saw city crews installing pylons to divide the bike lanes from the rest of the road. A friend of mine also told me that he saw police setting up a speed trap. Too bad they weren't there a couple of days earlier
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 07-01-21, 09:43 AM
KC56

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This story is tragic and horrible. There are so many of us who cycle that stretch of road, which one would think to be comparatively safe considering the width, the speed limit, and the bike lane shoulders. But then there are drivers like this one out there. Does anyone know the follow up to this news story and whether the investigation turned up anything that led to charges being laid against her?
Old 07-01-21, 11:32 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by KC56
This story is tragic and horrible. There are so many of us who cycle that stretch of road, which one would think to be comparatively safe considering the width, the speed limit, and the bike lane shoulders. But then there are drivers like this one out there. Does anyone know the follow up to this news story and whether the investigation turned up anything that led to charges being laid against her?
If drivers are already speeding on that stretch of the road, then I doubt there will be charges laid.

If the victim had been in a car, then you know that there would have been charges.
Old 07-01-21, 12:33 PM
alcjphil

Originally Posted by Daniel4
If drivers are already speeding on that stretch of the road, then I doubt there will be charges laid.

If the victim had been in a car, then you know that there would have been charges.
Not true. Several years ago a car with several teenagers inside missed another gentle curve about 1.5 km south of this one and ran off the road at high speed and hit a tree killing all of the people in the car. Nothing has been done since then. This last death may not change anything either. One problem with this road is that it traverses 3 municipalities and nobody seems to want to take responsibility
Old 07-01-21, 01:47 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,164 Times in 761 Posts
Brabant explained the crash happened after the vehicle, for an unknown reason, continued on its trajectory in a curve hitting the cyclist.

Driver was texting.
Likes For prj71:
Old 07-01-21, 03:04 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Driver was texting.
Aren't they all texting?
Old 07-01-21, 05:08 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Aren't they all texting?
Yes, according to the Oujia board reading, fear baiting "safety experts" of A&S.
Old 07-02-21, 03:55 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 261 Posts
Driver was texting.
If they were it is unlikely that the police checked there cell phone for evidence.

Yes, according to the Oujia board reading, fear baiting "safety experts" of A&S.
I-Like-To-Bike: I have been side swiped by someone texting. Any kind of distraction going into a curve could cause injury or death. I don't use cell phones while driving and believe people who do are naive.
Old 07-03-21, 08:27 AM
KC56

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brabant explained the crash happened after the vehicle, for an unknown reason, continued on its trajectory in a curve hitting the cyclist.

Driver was texting.
If it was indeed established that the driver was texting, which is something I think many of us suspected immediately upon hearing the circumstances of this accident, then why wouldn’t the driver be charged with dangerous driving or careless driving causing death? A cyclist lost her life and if the police know the driver was texting then jail time on one of those charges should be the result.
Old 07-03-21, 03:08 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 261 Posts
If it was indeed established that the driver was texting, which is something I think many of us suspected immediately upon hearing the circumstances of this accident, then why wouldn’t the driver be charged with dangerous driving or careless driving causing death? A cyclist lost her life and if the police know the driver was texting then jail time on one of those charges should be the result.
We will probably never know the cause of the collision. I have seen reports on dozens of collisions involving the deaths of bicyclists and pedestrians. The police are the ones who determine weather an investigation or charges happen. The politicks of the people in charge determine weather the police have the right to do their job. Insurance companies are also heavily involved in these decisions.
Old 07-03-21, 07:00 PM
homeless in ca.

A man riding a bicycle was killed a few months back. The driver who killed him was traveling south on Boulevard Papineau. He told police he lost control of his vehicle and crossed Boulevard Saint-Joseph. Witnesses say the car rolled over several times before hitting Maxime Levesque, a 33 year old Frenchman. The car also struck a tree which is visibly damaged and the driver was himself severely injured and taken to the hospital in critical condition.

I know the area Papineau is a very busy road and the speed limit is 40 km/h (25 mph). It's pretty obvious the driver was speeding if he lost control, flipped his car and ended up seriously injuring himself in a collision with a tree with no other cars involved.

The accident happened at 10:50 am. At that time cars are allowed to park in the right lane. So there is only one lane of traffic in each direction. But there is a no stopping zone at the end of the block and a bus stop. Aggressive drivers often use this bit of right lane to pass. That is probably what happened. The driver of the SUV used the right lane to run the light and struck the cyclist who was riding on the right shoulder.

Here is the exact location of the "accident" on Google maps. The tree where Mr. Levesque's body was covered by a tarp is almost 200 feet past the intersection where the driver says he lost control. .

As I was looking at pictures from different news outlets I noticed that next to the car is a second yellow tarp. There is a big yellow tarp on the sidewalk. In the video you can see first responders holding up more tarps as the dead man's body is removed. But next to the driver's door is a smaller tarp that is also removed in later pictures.

Unfortunately the police and the media provide very little information. I haven't heard about any charges being laid against the maniac driver.

Likes For homeless in ca.:
Old 07-03-21, 07:14 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by homeless in ca.
I haven't heard about any charges being laid against the maniac driver.
If the victim had been in another motor vehicle, you know the driver would have been charged.
Old 07-05-21, 06:39 PM
Chistophe516

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
I ride that stretch of road frequently, so I know it well. The bike lanes on either side of the road give the impression to drivers that it is a highway even though the speed limit is 50 kph. Speeding is common, I have been passed by drivers doing twice the legal limit. That curve is much gentler than the photo seems to show, no reason for a car to go off into the trees. We ride our mountain bikes in the woods on either side of the road. Yesterday I saw city crews installing pylons to divide the bike lanes from the rest of the road. A friend of mine also told me that he saw police setting up a speed trap. Too bad they weren't there a couple of days earlier
Drivers are stupid.
Old 07-05-21, 10:14 PM
xancel

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Such sad news...
Old 07-06-21, 08:19 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by KC56
Why else would the driver fail to navigate the curve?

Brabant said the investigation will look at all possible explanations, including examining the woman's car for any mechanical issues and her phone to see if she was texting. Police will also try to determine if she was intoxicated, he said.
Old 07-06-21, 10:19 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Why else would the driver fail to navigate the curve?

Brabant said the investigation will look at all possible explanations, including examining the woman's car for any mechanical issues and her phone to see if she was texting. Police will also try to determine if she was intoxicated, he said.
No need to do any investigation.
IAW the Oujia board reading, fear baiting "safety experts" of A&S the cause of every collision past, present and future is already known; stupid drivers who are texting were, are and will always be the cause of every collision. In addition the verdict is already predetermined if the injured party is a cyclist or a pedestrian - if the "stupid driver" is even charged with any serious offense: Not Guilty! : Case Closed!
Old 07-06-21, 12:30 PM
prj71

What is the obtuse world you live in?
Old 07-06-21, 01:23 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

What is the obtuse world you live in?
The world where not every driver is texting and where not every collision is the result of a texting driver, despite what the A&S fear mongering choir "knowingly" chants to each other before and after every report of a collision.
Old 07-06-21, 02:12 PM
homeless in ca.

Driver was texting.
Probably. Police should check the killer's phone for messages.
Old 07-06-21, 03:43 PM
prj71

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
The world where not every driver is texting and where not every collision is the result of a texting driver, despite what the A&S fear mongering choir "knowingly" chants to each other before and after every report of a collision.
I don't know what this A & S fear mongering choir is that you are referring to.

But my bets are the driver was busy texting. Why is it unreasonable to assume that?
Old 07-07-21, 04:44 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
I don't know what this A & S fear mongering choir is that you are referring to.

But my bets are the driver was busy texting. Why is it unreasonable to assume that?

It's reasonable to suspect it. Assuming it is ridiculous, people missed curves long before cell phones were invented.

TBH, I don't know what's more annoying about these threads, the knee jerk reactions or the knee jerk reactions to the knee jerk reactions.

The thing that bothers me is it seems to break down to "it's always cell phones" vs. " cell phones aren't a serious problem. " Both sides are dead wrong.

Sure looks like some really bad road design here, but that's not as fun to get on a moral high horse sbput.

Also, we really don't know how fast the driver was going. Please someone try to explain why we wouldn't care as much if it just turns out to be speeding that caused it. And I double dare anyone to claim most drivers don't speed.
​​​​​

Last edited by livedarklions; 07-07-21 at 04:51 AM.
Old 07-07-21, 08:36 AM
prj71

If the details emerge on this incident, my bets are the driver was texting. You just don't miss navigating a curve and hit a biker unless you are texting, intoxicated or have some other distraction.

Last edited by prj71; 07-07-21 at 09:45 AM.
Likes For prj71:
Old 07-07-21, 09:57 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
If the details emerge on this incident, my bets are the driver was texting. You just don't miss navigating a curve and hit a biker unless you are texting, intoxicated or have some other distraction.
Or you are driving too fast, or your tire blew, or the road was deceptively slippery, or...

Without facts, your bet is no better than anyone else's. Also, you keep shifting between "betting on" and "assuming". Those are not the same thing.
Old 07-07-21, 10:41 AM
alcjphil

Road design is not a factor in this accident. The road is wide, pavement is smooth, the curve is gentle, there are no intersections nearby, the speed limit is 50 kph and a driver could easily negotiate the curve at twice that speed. the weather was warm and dry and traffic on the road is light at the time the crash occurred.
I rode by the accident site when the first responders were still attending the driver and cyclist. Damage to the car was not all severe enough to indicate a high speed crash

Last edited by alcjphil; 07-07-21 at 10:55 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.