Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Stamped steel vs forged steel drop outs, how do I spot the difference?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-15, 11:50 AM
Rocky Gravol

Bikes: Peugeot Course, Motobecane Super Mirage(RIP), Peugeot PKN10e Motobecane Grand Touring

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts

And what are the advantage, disadvantages?
Old 05-15-15, 12:04 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
Generally, stamped dropouts are flat plate steel and forged dropouts have rounded edges and a raised surface for axle clamping (nuts or quick-release). Forged dropouts are generally preferable as they are typically stronger and more resistant to bending.

Forged:

Stamped:

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Likes For Scooper:
Old 05-15-15, 12:37 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,453 Times in 1,430 Posts
Close the thread now. @Scooper's answer is accurate and complete.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-15-15, 12:49 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Forged DOs usually come with an integrated RD hanger. Stamped DOs usually do not and so require a claw. To accommodate the thickness of the claw stamped DOs are usually thinner. Since the claw goes on the DS, this sometimes requires the axle be offset a few mm's to the right. This is all just quibbling but it's just another way to see at a glance which DOs a bike has.
Likes For jimmuller:
Old 05-15-15, 01:02 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Originally Posted by jimmuller
Forged DOs usually come with an integrated RD hanger. Stamped DOs usually do not and so require a claw. To accommodate the thickness of the claw stamped DOs are usually thinner. Since the claw goes on the DS, this sometimes requires the axle be offset a few mm's to the right. This is all just quibbling but it's just another way to see at a glance which DOs a bike has.
Excellent points, Jim, but I've seen stamped dropouts with integral hangers (like the Campy 1010/1) as well as forged dropouts with claw hangers. Exceptions, to be sure, but they exist.

my bikes

Likes For Scooper:
Old 05-15-15, 01:07 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
In the early 80's Peugeot used an interesting dropout design that kinda mimics a forged dropout, complete with integrated RD hanger and cut out window.
It's seen on this article written about a restoration job on the Centennial model (scroll down towards the bottom of the page):
1982 Peugeot Centennial Edition (PH12) | The Simplicity of Vintage Cycles
(I think the article was written by a forum member, by the way, and I think I contributed to it by sending him the shown CLB lever hoods. He sure did a fantastic job restoring and getting the bike back on the road!)
The dropout fooled many people to think that it was a more expensive forged item. A quite nice looking, cost effective touch on their lower model bikes, IMO..... Haven't noticed anything similar on other brand bikes....

Last edited by Chombi; 05-15-15 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-15-15, 01:11 PM
Rocky Gravol

Bikes: Peugeot Course, Motobecane Super Mirage(RIP), Peugeot PKN10e Motobecane Grand Touring

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Thanks.
I've been curious, and I saw that it had come up in another thread
about Peugeots.

Stamped Peugeot UO 10

forged Peugeot PKN10

Old 05-15-15, 02:04 PM
YouthxCrew

Bikes: 1974 Raleigh Super Tourer, 1974 Ralegh Gran Sport, 1985 Schwinn Peloton, 1986 Schwinn World Sport, 1987 Panasonic DX-4000

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi
In the early 80's Peugeot used an interesting dropout design that kinda mimics a forged dropout, complete with integrated RD hanger and cut out window.
It's seen on this article written about a restoration job on the Centennial model (scroll down towards the bottom of the page):
1982 Peugeot Centennial Edition (PH12) | The Simplicity of Vintage Cycles
(I think the article was written by a forum member, by the way, and I think I contributed to it by sending him the shown CLB lever hoods. He sure did a fantastic job restoring and getting the bike back on the road!)
The dropout fooled many people to think that it was a more expensive forged item. A quite nice looking, cost effective touch on their lower model bikes, IMO..... Haven't noticed anything similar on other brand bikes....
Actually, Motobecane used the same dropouts on all their models that didn't have forged dropouts. Some of the late 80's Schwinns had similar stamped dropouts made to look forged with integral derailleur hangers and stainless steel dropout faces/chromed dropout faces.

I also have a Fuji with forged dropouts and stock claw.
Old 05-15-15, 02:24 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Scooper
Forged dropouts are generally preferable as they are typically stronger and more resistant to bending.
And most importantly forged looks a bajillion times better.
Old 05-15-15, 03:06 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Originally Posted by shoota
And most importantly forged looks a bajillion times better.
Yes; that too.

my bikes

Old 05-15-15, 04:13 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 653 Posts
Scooper got it!

If you've ever been out in the cold wind and rain and had to fix a flat rear tire and when you remove the wheel the rear derailleur falls out of the dropout and the wet, dirty, greasy chain twists around the freewheel and you try to change the tube with wet, dirty, greasy hands, then you'll appreciate the advantages of a dropout with an integral derailleur hanger... Sounds like a Grateful Dead song!

Stamped dropouts were usually the sign of a cheap entry level bike, especially with "claw" style derailleur attachments.

But... there are a lot of better quality British bikes with stamped dropouts or forged dropouts without a derailleur hanger. The logic so I'm told was it allowed the owner to use a single speed or fixed gear wheel, an internal gear hub like a Sturmey Archer or a derailleur with a claw hanger (see above lament).

Also, way BITD before there were any kind of standards for integral derailleur hangers most bikes came with stamped steel dropouts.

In the 80s some lower end models started coming with stamped steel dropouts with integral hangers.

Here's a Flickr album that I threw together that shows some differences in the brands of forged dropouts from the 60s and 70s.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/282672...57624014562729

Flickr keeps changing their format so you will have to click on the pictures to read the explanations...

verktyg

Chas.

Chas. ;-)

Old 12-25-20, 04:28 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
Lots of exceptions all around. All three of my Capos, including the top-of-the-line Siegers, have ornate stamped dropouts and integral derailleur tabs. The Siegers have a clever U-shaped braze-on that provides the appearance and function of a forged dropout.

My newly-acquired Carlton has thick Cyclo dropouts which I just proved to myself are made of mild steel, rather than forged. (This is a "before" picture. I was able to straighten the lower arm of the drive side drop out very easily in my bench vise.)
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 12-26-20, 04:02 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocky Gravol
And what are the advantage, disadvantages?
Stamped - constant thickness; forged - raised axle (and possibly mech mount) area.
Stamped - square edges; forged - rounded edges.

Better/worse? All is compromise.

Hangers are better for derailleur mechs; claw lets you use anything.
Forged stiffer and likely stronger, but may break rather then bend; stamped ones can be bent back.
Old 12-26-20, 07:39 AM
KenNC

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
To offer some contrasts, here is a forged Simplex dropout, WITHOUT integral hanger, that is on an early 70s Jeunet 630 (the hanger was not cut off, this dropout appears in "The Dancing Chain" book). The Jeunet came with Simplex derailleurs, which I switched to Heuret with a claw. And here is a stamped dropout, with integral hanger, that came on a 1985 Peugeot PX80. The Peugeot came with a Simplex derailleur, but the hanger looks ready to receive a Suntour or Shimano, so I will probably switch that in, and save the Simplex derailleur for a bike that comes with a Simplex-only hanger:

Old 12-26-20, 08:15 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 1,264 Times in 603 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
Lots of exceptions all around. All three of my Capos, including the top-of-the-line Siegers, have ornate stamped dropouts and integral derailleur tabs. The Siegers have a clever U-shaped braze-on that provides the appearance and function of a forged dropout.

My newly-acquired Carlton has thick Cyclo dropouts which I just proved to myself are made of mild steel, rather than forged. (This is a "before" picture. I was able to straighten the lower arm of the drive side drop out very easily in my bench vise.)
Lower end Fujis have similar "embossed" stamped dropouts, they look like forged DO's at a casual glance. In my early days of vintage bikes when I though25 In. frames were harder to find than they in fact are I grabbed a clean 1983 Fuji Espree thinking it would be a good platform for upgrading with components from a wrecked bike I got from a friend because it had what I thought were forged dropouts. Imagine my disappointment when I popped the rear wheel off and discovered my error. Lesson learned, all is not as it appears.... and Fujis and Schwinns with tall frames are not hard to find.
Old 12-26-20, 08:28 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
Originally Posted by Murray Missile
Lower end Fujis have similar "embossed" stamped dropouts, they look like forged DO's at a casual glance. ...
Yes, mine fooled me initially, which is why I panicked a bit when I discovered how bent the drive side unit was. Fortunately for me, it was stamped, rather than forged, which enabled me to cold set it back into alignment in my bench vise. Given that it had been rotated a few degrees clockwise / forward and that its jaw had been spread, I speculated on my "calling Carlton experts" thread that some previous owner had jammed a derailleur into the rear wheel. Anyway, it seems none the worse for wear, and my restoration project continues.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E: