Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Can't remove my bike rack!

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-16, 04:39 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts

Not a bicycle question but...
Our trailer mount bike rack is stuck. I kept it on this winter and it appears rusted in place. I greased it pretty good before hand but it is stuck in the receiver on our car. Made a hardwood block up to hammer it in from the front side. Well that is now stuck really well to! I have sprayed PD Blaster and will try that some more but am open to suggestions.
Thanks!
Old 03-09-16, 05:19 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
By July it should thaw out

see if Kasich will come over and help next week, he needs votes.

Have you banged on it with a mallet or hammer?

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-10-16 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-09-16, 05:33 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Whatever you do, please video it...
Old 03-09-16, 05:55 PM
ltxi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try using heat.
Old 03-09-16, 05:59 PM
hollywoodeskimo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ltxi
Try using heat.
Might work. But be VERY careful if the gas tank is close to the trailer hitch. Or, maybe don't use heat at all.
Old 03-09-16, 06:13 PM
hollywoodeskimo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you can gain enough access to the hitch from under the car so that you can hit it in the direction away from the car instead of towards the car, try that. Unless there is some reason you have to get the rack off the car in a hurry, you can try spraying the hitch receiver with a little WD40 on the inside of the hitch receiver through any holes and around the edges of the inserted rack mount every day and whack it a couple of times each day. It will probably come loose. If you're in a hurry and don't mind taking chances, you could put a chain as close to where the rack hitch insert goes into the receiver as possible and wrap the other end of the chain around a BIG tree. Then try to pull that sucker out of there. A series of light quick pulls might loosen the rack. Of course, if you're not careful (and maybe even if you are) there are a whole bunch of bad things that could happen like ruining the rack, pulling the tree down, ruining your transmission, breaking off the the entire trailer hitch. Stuff like that. Oh, and the tree might not just come down, it might land on you, your car and or someone else. So, there's that. Whatever you do, proceed with great caution and at your own risk.

Last edited by hollywoodeskimo; 03-09-16 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-09-16, 07:07 PM
Chief

Bikes: SR, Bianchi, Raleigh, Bertin, Kona, Schwinn, Eisentraut, Zunow, Columbine, Naked, Nishiki, Phillips, Specialized, Giant

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hollywoodeskimo
If you can gain enough access to the hitch from under the car so that you can hit it in the direction away from the car instead of towards the car, try that. Unless there is some reason you have to get the rack off the car in a hurry, you can try spraying the hitch receiver with a little WD40 on the inside of the hitch receiver through any holes and around the edges of the inserted rack mount every day and whack it a couple of times each day. It will probably come loose. If you're in a hurry and don't mind taking chances, you could put a chain as close to where the rack hitch insert goes into the receiver as possible and wrap the other end of the chain around a BIG tree. Then try to pull that sucker out of there. A series of light quick pulls might loosen the rack. Of course, if you're not careful (and maybe even if you are) there are a whole bunch of bad things that could happen like ruining the rack, pulling the tree down, ruining your transmission, breaking off the the entire trailer hitch. Stuff like that. Oh, and the tree might not just come down, it might land on you, your car and or someone else. So, there's that. Whatever you do, proceed with great caution and at your own risk...and video record it
fify
Old 03-09-16, 07:34 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
If you can gain enough access to the hitch from under the car so that you can hit it in the direction away from the car instead of towards the car, try that. Unless there is some reason you have to get the rack off the car in a hurry, you can try spraying the hitch receiver with a little WD40 on the inside of the hitch receiver through any holes and around the edges of the inserted rack mount every day and whack it a couple of times each day. It will probably come loose. If you're in a hurry and don't mind taking chances, you could put a chain as close to where the rack hitch insert goes into the receiver as possible and wrap the other end of the chain around a BIG tree. Then try to pull that sucker out of there. A series of light quick pulls might loosen the rack. Of course, if you're not careful (and maybe even if you are) there are a whole bunch of bad things that could happen like ruining the rack, pulling the tree down, ruining your transmission, breaking off the the entire trailer hitch. Stuff like that. Oh, and the tree might not just come down, it might land on you, your car and or someone else. So, there's that. Whatever you do, proceed with great caution and at your own risk.
Sounds like Science of Stupid material.
Old 03-09-16, 07:34 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,513 Times in 2,856 Posts
If you're in a hurry and don't mind taking chances, you could put a chain as close to where the rack hitch insert goes into the receiver as possible and wrap the other end of the chain around a BIG tree. Then try to pull that sucker out of there. A series of light quick pulls might loosen the rack. Of course, if you're not careful (and maybe even if you are) there are a whole bunch of bad things that could happen like ruining the rack, pulling the tree down, ruining your transmission, breaking off the the entire trailer hitch. Stuff like that. Oh, and the tree might not just come down, it might land on you, your car and or someone else. So, there's that. Whatever you do, proceed with great caution and at your own risk.
Like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgZTVkjQwto
Old 03-09-16, 09:30 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
All these posts go to show that leaving a hitch rack on your car when you are not using it is a very bad idea. The only time when my rack was on the car was when I was using it. Installation and removal took very little time.The consequences of not taking that time can be hours of hard labour. Moral of all this is don't leave any sort of rack on your car unless you are using it
Old 03-10-16, 12:27 AM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
Had a guy come into the shop for a new hitch rack to replace his old one - which was still on the car. It took four of us, a cold chisel, a small sledge hammer, and a lot of pounding from the backside of the hitch to get it out. Absolutely grease the hitch when you install it, and never leave it on over the winter!
Old 03-10-16, 07:03 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
Originally Posted by ddeand
Had a guy come into the shop for a new hitch rack to replace his old one - which was still on the car. It took four of us, a cold chisel, a small sledge hammer, and a lot of pounding from the backside of the hitch to get it out. Absolutely grease the hitch when you install it, and never leave it on over the winter!
I am sure you are correct in beautiful Montreal and the Twin Cities but here in AZ not so much.
Old 03-10-16, 07:41 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
I have a trailer hitch, but don't use a hitch mounted bike rack. However, depending on your setup, if space permits, you might be able to get the trailer towing tongue in the opposite side and pound against it to get the bike rack out.

Dan
Old 03-10-16, 10:06 AM
hollywoodeskimo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chief
fify
and upload the video or have one of your surviving kin do it. Oh, and be sure your will, advance directive and durable power of attorney are up to date.
Old 03-10-16, 11:39 AM
Kopsis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If that's an aluminum rack in a mild-steel receiver that's had a nice salt water bath all winter, the rack is likely done for. The galvanic corrosion has probably already eaten halfway through the rack tubing. And unlike a stuck seatpost, you can't even apply leverage to torque it loose. You have nothing to lose trying other suggestions (except maybe flames near the gas tank), but I'm afraid it may be hacksaw time.
Old 03-10-16, 12:29 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

I think I have come up with a plan. I am going to drill a hole through the square tubing close to the hitch. Then insert a bolt. I will then attach a length of chain and attach it to the hicth on my truck. With my wife in the car I will have her apply just a bit of tension and I will keep tapping the area with a hammer. Hopefully it with break loose. If not out comes the Sawzall.
Old 03-10-16, 01:35 PM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
I think I have come up with a plan. I am going to drill a hole through the square tubing close to the hitch. Then insert a bolt. I will then attach a length of chain and attach it to the hicth on my truck. With my wife in the car I will have her apply just a bit of tension and I will keep tapping the area with a hammer. Hopefully it with break loose. If not out comes the Sawzall.
Please , Please record this. Please.

Can you take the hitch off, it might be easier to work on(hit it with a BFH) when it's off the car.
Old 03-10-16, 01:39 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Able to fit a small, scissors type car jack in there somehow. In between the bumper and the vertical of the bike rack?
Old 03-10-16, 04:43 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
freeze off is even better than PB blaster

Old 03-10-16, 07:17 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,391 Times in 2,054 Posts
The last insert I fought with had been in for years (used car I acquired). Soaked it everyday in Kroil for a week. Heating and beating from the front of it with a piece of square stock and a 3# hammer took me two weeks to get out. Once it started moving I beat it in both directions to work it loose.
Old 03-11-16, 06:01 AM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I left my rack on my Jeep year-round and never had any issues removing it. Then again, I greased the hell out of the receiver before installing the rack.
Old 03-11-16, 07:18 AM
hollywoodeskimo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1
Please , Please record this. Please.

Can you take the hitch off, it might be easier to work on(hit it with a BFH) when it's off the car.
This is a good idea.
Old 03-11-16, 07:22 AM
hockey

Bikes: Trek 5200, Giant Rainier, Devinci Destination,Motobecane CF, Bike Friday family tandem, Bike Friday NWT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
Able to fit a small, scissors type car jack in there somehow. In between the bumper and the vertical of the bike rack?
I used a jack and penetrating oil. Difficult to find the right angle, but worked efficiently.
Old 03-11-16, 07:26 AM
hollywoodeskimo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
If you have tension on that rack while you are anywhere near it, you could be asking for trouble. If you're going to do it this way, you should make sure you release any tension before you go to the back of the car to hit it. I think leob1 has the best idea. If it's possible to take the towbar and hitch off your car and then work on getting the rack detached, it will be a much safer operation.
Old 03-12-16, 06:58 AM
Tandem Tom

Success! I had a tow strap that I attached to the truck hitch and then after drilling and inserting a bolt I attached to the rack. Had my wife put some tension on it and I tap it with a hammer and after a few seconds it "popped"! Now I will clean , sand, prime, & paint then grease the receiver.
Sorry no pics of the event!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.