Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What makes a great climbing bike?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 04-16-20, 01:36 PM
RockiesDad

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts

Okay we all know that wheels/tires combo, a weight weenie bike and not to exclude the engine riding it makes any bike climb hills better. But what else is there on a bike that makes it a good climber? My guess is probably the frame geometry and stiffness in places that matter. So where are these magic areas? Is it shorter chain stays, shorter wheel base, huge BB etc? By looking at a geo chart, what would give me an indication its a good climbing bike, if there is such a thing? What characteristics do the pros look for when riding long and steep climbs? Just wondering...
Old 04-16-20, 02:12 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
The big ones are adequate gearing, light weight, and a good climbing posture.
Adequate gearing is probably the most oft-neglected thing in the road world. Bottoming out your gearing can cost a lot of power, even if you're trying to ride hard.

Tire rolling resistance matters, albeit usually less so than on flat ground.

On unpaved surfaces, short chainstays can be helpful in keeping the rear wheel planted, especially when getting out of the saddle (people usually bring their weight forward and pedal with more choppiness when riding out of the saddle). Beyond that, geometric factors across production bikes are usually minor enough to not matter overly much: a road bike with a 68-degree head angle and 90mm of trail would feel pretty floppy when you're rocking the bike around, but nobody makes road bikes like that.

Marketing and tradition would hold that a huge amount of stiffness is important for climbing due to power transfer, but the reality seems to be more complicated. You'll notice that nobody ever publishes measurements of the purported losses, and furthermore, it's not obvious that bicycle reviewers really know what they're talking about where stiffness is concerned.
There is some evidence that frame flex can have meaningful physiological interaction with a rider's pedaling. This isn't well-understood, but it doesn't seem to be as simple as stiffer = better.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 04-16-20, 02:27 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Provided they fit there is very little difference in how bikes of the same weight climb. Obviously lighter bikes go up a little faster. Stiffness, wheelbase etc are all pretty much irrelevant.
Old 04-16-20, 02:36 PM
Andrew Sullivan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Combo tires, wheels and less weight. Thats it
Old 04-16-20, 02:49 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
The rider.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 04-16-20, 03:15 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Dr Ferrari

Likes For hillyman:
Old 04-16-20, 09:07 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 380 Posts
Light weight and big gears. When I was racing, we had special bikes we used to ride in mountain stages. These had lighter wheels, latex tube, lighter tires, and larger sprockets on the freewheel, and we carried as little as we could get away with. The worst of the climbs was the Alto Angliru in Spain, where some riders used triples and mountain bike cassettes. In those days pretty much every bike used Campy components, so our driveline options were limited.
Old 04-16-20, 09:27 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
A compact feeling bike/frame. I've found a one size smaller frame seems to do it...
outside of the things already mentioned.
Old 04-16-20, 10:45 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Agreed that a properly sized (or slightly small) frame feels much more nimble when the road points upward compared to a long, stretched out bike. Also, a head tube that is at the right angle (with a matched fork and corresponding rake) which feels stable out of the saddle at lower speeds whilst you’re stomping away, out of the saddle, clawing your way up the steepest grade any man has ever had the guts to scale, all the while swearing, sweating and spitting, determined to get that KOM this time... well, lads, *THAT* is what makes a bike a great climber. That, and a couple of sinewy, monstrous thighs.
Old 04-17-20, 06:45 AM
tgenec86
Rouleur

Bikes: Felt FC (SRAM Red), Nashbar Carbon (SRAM Red), Felt BR2 (SRAM Red), Salsa El Mariachi 29'er - solid steel, Peugeot PX-10 1972

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 63 Posts
A great climbing bike is the easy part. Lightweight, nimble, tight wheelbase, proper gearing. A great climber is an entirely different story. Think Egan Bernal... Slight, wiry, blessed with the right ratio of slow / fast twitch muscle fiber, large lung capacity, and a high VO2 Max. Some of us climb all the time, but have nothing but slow twitch and naturally well developed aZZes... I do the sweating, swearing, spitting determination part with the best of them, but that KOM still remains a minute out of my grasp - and that's pushing up to 375-400 watts. Ces't la vie...
Likes For tgenec86:
Old 04-17-20, 07:28 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,225 Times in 1,248 Posts
A bike with a motor!
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 04-17-20, 05:10 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
A friend of mine was on a team sponsored by Bridgestone. CAT 2 level racing out in Colorado. Their mountain stage bikes were simply standard geometry with the exception of shorter chain stays. Gearing was lower and lighter wheels. That was it.

My personal favorite climber is the V11 Moto Guzzi parked in my garage. Really climbs well! Aside from that my touring bike is next favorite climber due to the low gearing options available. Will be putting a 36/50 crank on the road bike this summer (new frame) and will compare that to the touring rig for climbing.
Old 04-17-20, 08:17 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by RockiesDad
Okay we all know that wheels/tires combo, a weight weenie bike and not to exclude the engine riding it makes any bike climb hills better. But what else is there on a bike that makes it a good climber? My guess is probably the frame geometry and stiffness in places that matter. So where are these magic areas? Is it shorter chain stays, shorter wheel base, huge BB etc? By looking at a geo chart, what would give me an indication its a good climbing bike, if there is such a thing? What characteristics do the pros look for when riding long and steep climbs? Just wondering...
a small light fellow with big lungs and powerful legs.
Likes For thehammerdog:
Old 04-17-20, 08:35 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
For the other 90% like myself who have no aspirations of ever racing or grabbing a KOM, a bike that tracks well, is solid on the descents, and I can ride all day in comfort, is a great climbing bike. Oh yeah, give me adequate gearing with a lazy susan cassette and compact crank set to get my bellowing carcass over the top as I heave.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 04-18-20, 03:22 PM
Fredo_Adagio

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 53 Posts
It's the rider.

The gradient has to be severe for the bike to make much of a difference.

That being said, the gearing is important. I like the third chainring on my touring bike.
Old 04-19-20, 06:27 AM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
I am sorry but I will be the flamer here.....other than some of the things posted here it comes down to the rider and their physical condition. I can see a pro or even an good amateur on a GMC Denali < el piece of junk in my book, outride many up a climb on a tour riders highest of high end < simpleton terms there, bike that is even dialed in for the weekend warrior.

Yes, there are many things that go into that right mix but ultimately if you have the genetics of a climber, then a Sears CroMo frame will be better than anything of professional status to a weekend warrior.

I would say get out and ride and train for climbs and they will come easier. Bottom line, people hate climbs but love the back side of one. I like a rolling terrain rather than constant flats as they are boring. Extreme climbs......shooooo, glad they only happen every so often.