Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

new bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-20, 05:51 AM
Rocko78

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
new bike

Been browsing thru the threads and really haven't found what I'm looking for. May be my search route. However, trying to decide on hybrid or gravel then from there which bike. A local shop educating me on the difference as I was strictly looking for a hybrid. He said a gravel may be a better option as the hybrid is more of a cruiser with very limited off road capabilities. In either case both choices will be exercise. Market range is $4-1200 depending on the hybrid/gravel I go with.
Old 08-15-20, 05:55 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocko78
Been browsing thru the threads and really haven't found what I'm looking for. May be my search route. However, trying to decide on hybrid or gravel then from there which bike. A local shop educating me on the difference as I was strictly looking for a hybrid. He said a gravel may be a better option as the hybrid is more of a cruiser with very limited off road capabilities. In either case both choices will be exercise. Market range is $4-1200 depending on the hybrid/gravel I go with.
Where and how do you plan to ride it?
Old 08-15-20, 06:00 AM
Rocko78

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a gravel driveway and live in the country so potholes, rough bridge crossing, dips in the road. You know general poor highway maintenance riding. Locally we have some trail ridding, not looking for extreme MTB. Plan to incorporate cycling into my weekly exercising.
Old 08-15-20, 08:51 AM
JayKay3000

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
You have something like the following categories these days:

Rigid Mountain Bike. Good for offroad and road depending on tires fitted, mtb gearing.
Hard Tail with front suspension, fit more road type tires - good for short road and offroad, may have rear pannier option, mtb gearing.
Low travel full suspension, not that good on road, good for offroad, mtb gearing.
Gravel bike for light offroad, drop bars (sometimes flats), can take offroad tires, fairly wide, mtb / road gearing.
Touring bike for light offroad and carrying loads of stuff with racks and panniers, flat bar / drop bar options. Rigid frame, mtb gearing.
Bike packing bike for offroad without big drops or jumps, but carry some stuff with racks and panniers, mtb gearing.
Hybrid bike - Upright flat bar bike like mountain bike, designed for the road, mtb gearing.
Cross bike - can carry some stuff with racks and panniers, can do light offroad with right tires, can't fit massive tires, drop bars, road gearing.
Road Bike - Can't usually carry stuff, more suited to road use, not really that good for offroad. Tire width limits, road gearing.

If you want good trail performance you'll need offroad tires. If you want less drag on longer road sections you'll need more road type tires. If your trails are just dirt paths then an intermediate tire. I would advise avoiding pot holes if you can. Rigid carbon forks don't really like to take hard jump landings, but will take a fair beating on rough terrain. Steel / carbon / alu. While carbon is lighter, don't get conned into spending more for the more expensive material. You'll get just as good bike made from alu. Steel is heavier, but it doesn't melt at the first sign of rain.

If you can, try some bikes because a lot of what makes the right bike is how the thing feels when you ride it.

Not trying to give a comprehensive overview, just some ideas to go with.
Old 08-15-20, 10:30 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I think there's enough variation in the marketing categories, that it's worth ignoring them and looking for a bike that's comfortable, fits well, and that you're likely to enjoy riding. The term "hybrid" has a bit of a stigma because it's associated with stodgy bikes, but hybrids cover a wide range from stodgy to sporty, and merge into categories such as "flat bar road bike."

In my view, the big dividing line is whether you prefer drop or flat / swept bars. Most gravel bikes have drop bars, but there are sporty hybrids that look like the same bike with flat bars. I ride such a beast.

Second thing is, there's a growing preference for bikes that accommodate wider tires.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 08-15-20, 11:35 AM
RockiesDad

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
In my view, the big dividing line is whether you prefer drop or flat / swept bars. Most gravel bikes have drop bars, but there are sporty hybrids that look like the same bike with flat bars. I ride such a beast.

Second thing is, there's a growing preference for bikes that accommodate wider tires.
I'm with this thought process. Going with a bike that can take wider tires is the key point when riding in your area. Next knowing what level of comfort is next since you aren't racing and just riding for fun and fitness. Try going for a bunch of test rides and figure out which handlebar type you think you would like. Then come back here and ask more specific questions about which bike is best for you in a particular category. Have fun in the hunt...
Old 08-15-20, 11:57 AM
barakah

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
i live in the country and ride to the city on weekdays! I have a Walmart gravel bike and I like it lots except I could use a better derailer, I average 200 kilometres a week I might have done more because I still riding on the weekend haha. The key is to have a perfect fit, also having to spend a lot of money and you would barely ride is a true waste but if your rich I wouldn’t worry about that at all.
Old 08-15-20, 12:41 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
A hybrid sounds like the bike for your riding. They have wide tire, flat bars and gearing to get up the steepest climbs. The problem will be finding one as bikes in that price range are scarce.
Old 08-16-20, 06:38 AM
Rocko78

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for all the info to digest
Old 08-16-20, 07:07 AM
Rocko78

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
I think there's enough variation in the marketing categories, that it's worth ignoring them and looking for a bike that's comfortable, fits well, and that you're likely to enjoy riding. The term "hybrid" has a bit of a stigma because it's associated with stodgy bikes, but hybrids cover a wide range from stodgy to sporty, and merge into categories such as "flat bar road bike."

with a flat bar setup can u change your position or are you limited to the traditional upright riding?
Old 08-16-20, 10:38 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Sure, put bar ends on, and you can have two positions. The only thing missing then is the drop.
Old 08-16-20, 02:42 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
with a flat bar setup can u change your position or are you limited to the traditional upright riding?
The quick answer is no. Some riders are OK riding flat bars, others find it uncomfortable. Bar ends are one solution, swept bars are another. All of my bikes have swept bars, and I find that with my wrists angled, I can ride forever in one position. I took a 3 hour ride this morning, and never wished that I could change my hand position.

For me, reaching way out is uncomfortable. My neck don't bend that way no more. I might be more flexible today, had I stuck with drop bars when I was younger, and not spent so much time at a computer screen. Water under the bridge, now I've got the body that I've got, and I still want to ride. For me, a drop bar would offer the delightful option of multiple uncomfortable positions.

The drop versus flats thing is a dilemma because it's expensive to switch from one to another. But switching from flat to swept is just the cost of the bar.