Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Was Debating Some Bar-Ends.. Picked Up Ergo Grips Instead

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 01-10-21, 06:59 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts

At first I was debating these:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B001KS3RFQ/ref=cm_sw_r_u_apa_fabc_Cr1-FbTQEEYXX?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I've been wanting some bar -ends which mount upwards to offer another hand position, but realized that I would need to either cut the end of my current crappy foam grips or install some.sort of special new ones.

I ended up going for these grips instead- picked them up for $20: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08DN959VL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_Bi6-FbXC3J1DH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

For those who have bar ends already, like them? Never use them? Are they useful?

Are these ergo grips worth it?
Old 01-10-21, 08:52 PM
neutrinocounter

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Trek MultiTrack

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I have the Ergo 5 style (the longest they offer) and I have them on 3 bikes. They give you more hand placement options and the rubber takes some of the road vibration out.
Likes For neutrinocounter:
Old 01-10-21, 08:58 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Ergon Grips are worth it, cheap knockoffs are not. Those grips don't look as ergonomic and the bar end is not adjustable meaning it can be in the wrong position and cannot be changed without changing the position of the grips.

Also this is what Coruscant is, a fine home for the Galactic Senate but maybe not the company I want producing my grips.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-10-21, 09:08 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by neutrinocounter
I have the Ergo 5 style (the longest they offer) and I have them on 3 bikes. They give you more hand placement options and the rubber takes some of the road vibration out.
I was looking for something soft and cushy along with the added ergonimics. Do they deliver?
Old 01-10-21, 09:14 PM
neutrinocounter

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Trek MultiTrack

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture
I was looking for something soft and cushy along with the added ergonimics. Do they deliver?
I wouldn't call them soft and cushy but comfortable to me. If you really want something squishy you might need to look for some kind of foam grips.

As I said, I have the Ergon 5's on all 3 of my bikes which should say something about my opinion of them.
Likes For neutrinocounter:
Old 01-10-21, 11:06 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 340 Posts
Ergons do help, but must be positioned correctly. If the palm support is too high or too low, it's worse than having normal grips.
If you want bar ends, they make Ergons without the horn and open ended to slide further up for bar ends.
Old 01-11-21, 07:34 AM
flan48

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 2

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
Ergons do help, but must be positioned correctly. If the palm support is too high or too low, it's worse than having normal grips.
If you want bar ends, they make Ergons without the horn and open ended to slide further up for bar ends.
Yes, that's what I ended up doing. I started with Ergon's GP-1 grips, then just the other day added the GP-4 bar ends. Love 'em!

Best regards
Old 01-12-21, 10:33 AM
John Valuk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 108 Posts
I have a '95 Trek 730 Multitrack that is equipped with Trek's "System 1" bar ends that are similar to what you show first in your opening post (tubular aluminum).

Most of my riding is on the road, and I do spend quite a bit of my time with my hands on the bar ends. I have some Lizard Skins slip-on bar end covers on there that provide a little bit of cushioning and grip.

I considered the Ergon GP5 grips at one point when I was experiencing some tingling/numbness in fingers, but decided at the time to give the setup I already had a little more time.
Old 01-12-21, 10:57 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 320 Posts
FYI on the Ergon 5's

don't put too much weight on the very end and hammer down

did this myself and going full gas the grip came off and over the handle bars I went
Old 01-12-21, 01:48 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Make sure you properly seat and torque your grips as well. I have no doubt going full gas out of the saddle they could come loose but if properly torqued down in the correct position (which sometimes they are not) they are less likely to do so.
Old 01-12-21, 02:31 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Instead of using Ergon grips and separate bar ends, just get some Ergons that already have them integrated:

Likes For Kapusta:
Old 01-12-21, 04:17 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
In my view the important thing is rotating your wrists. I found that ergo grips provided a tiny bit of rotation, but not enough. There are attachments that can make straight bars more comfortable, but there's also a reason why "comfort" bikes have swept bars, and the reason is... comfort. I've switched all of my bikes to swept bars.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 01-12-21, 07:57 PM
gorillimo

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Specialized Enduro Pro, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
There are attachments that can make straight bars more comfortable, but there's also a reason why "comfort" bikes have swept bars, and the reason is... comfort. I've switched all of my bikes to swept bars.
im really good with my swept bars and grips.
Likes For gorillimo:
Old 01-12-21, 08:13 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
I had a set of these on my Paratrooper, but after loaning the bike to a family member for a ride... I couldn't get 'em to stay together anymore. I'll just say he's a bit rough with the equipment.
I had another set of Ergons handy, without the extensions, and they're working just fine. I rarely rode on the bar ends anyway.

Originally Posted by Kapusta
Instead of using Ergon grips and separate bar ends, just get some Ergons that already have them integrated: