Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Anyone Have Foot Neuroma Surgery?

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-22, 11:02 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 5,625 Times in 2,914 Posts

Am looking at the prospect of having a persistent neuroma surgically removed and was wondering if anyone else has had this procedure and how did it go in terms of results and healing. The ridiculous thing is that the neuroma was self inflicted by using a too long screw to secure a new bike cleat where the ones that came with the cleat were too short to grab the threads in the shoe. I never felt the screw hitting then front of my foot due to numbness in my foot due to a previous back injury. Unfortunately the numbness is not great enough to mask the pain. If you did have the procedure was the top or the bottom of your foot operated on and did you have the nerve removed or did they just make space? Mine is for nerve removal. Thanks

Old 03-02-22, 09:17 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6187 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
Not quite the same thing, but I had neuropathy in my feet, one foot very painful quite a few years ago and it was one of the things that led to me being diagnosed with pernicious anemia. Which essentially is that my body cannot absorb B12 through digestive means. So ever since I was diagnosed, I have been injecting B12 (cyanocobalamin or hydroxocobalamin) as a intramuscular injection regularly. My neuropathy in my feet disappeared.

I'd be very skeptical of such surgery, but I've never heard about it and certainly don't know anyone that has ever had it. A lot of my skepticism comes from friends with bad backs that have had all sorts of surgical procedures and nothing ever helped them for very long if at all.
Old 03-02-22, 10:52 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
I had the surgery about 5 years ago. The podiatrist made the incision from the top of the foot and removed the scarred nerve tissue.
Strangely, I still have the pain but also numbness now too. I kind of wish I had never had the procedure to be honest.
I really have to be creative with premium insoles, and constantly vigilant on decompressing regularly by pulling up and pushing down on the opposing side.
Likes For masi61:
Old 03-02-22, 11:56 AM
HIPCHIP
Lance Legweak

Bikes: Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
I had a Morton’s Neuroma removed several years ago. I believe they went in between the toes to access it. Not really painful and healed quickly. Haven’t had any problems since. My podiatrist rides and was the podiatrist for the local college team so knew what I needed.
Likes For HIPCHIP: