Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Stopped Statin - feel ten years younger.

Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Stopped Statin - feel ten years younger.

Old 03-28-22, 08:44 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
Muscle and joint pains are a common side effect of statins. The good news is that there are multiple statins to choose from, so if one version causes you problems, there's a chance that a different version the may reduce or eliminate your side effects. Talk to your physician about alternative statin medications to try to reduce your adverse side effects.
Old 04-04-22, 05:06 PM
Steelman54 

Bikes: Allegro Model 77, Gitane Team Pro SLX, Waterford R2200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 38 Posts
This has been around before as someone mentioned. I went thru all the recommended statins could not tolerate them at all. The worse one (can't recall the name at the moment) made my nose run like a bad cold. I did a bunch of research and concluded that they offer minimal, if any, benefit to someone that has not suffered a heart attack or other disease. A baby aspirin, yeah I know they changed the recommendation on that, is equal to or more effective.

A cardio guy I've seen quietly agreed. And to top it all off, one of my buddies just had a quadruple bypass, he told me he has been on statins and blood pressure meds per his doctor for 20 years. My approach is to eat well (or as best I can), exercise within reasonable limits, keep weight near where it should be, keep tabs on how I feel, cross fingers and now that I don't worry about taking statins I seem to feel OK.

Most people I've worked with and know seem to have issues with statins, yeah, informal review, but that's what I see/hear. Good luck, your mileage of course may vary, but I wouldn't blame any heart issue on not taking a statin. The info is out there, you just need to look for it. This isn't about the health of the population, this is about making money.
Old 04-04-22, 05:46 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
Statistically speaking Statins are a good idea if your Cholesterol and Triglycerides are elevated. If you are going to take a Statin it should be Atorvastatin or Resuvastatin for at least the first year. You can bring your Cho/Trig level down by diet and that is always a good thing too. There are those that have elevated and often, very elevated, Cho/Trig levels no matter how strict thier diet.

If you are going to stop your Statin at least do every thing you can to lower your Cho/Trig levels by other means. So go to alternatives that can get you almost there.

I routinely prescribe High Quality Omega 3s (Fish Oil)
I work my patients up to tolerate 500 mg of Niacin (a slow process for some)
I also add Zetia (ezetimibe) (it works to prevent the gut from absorbing cholesterol)
There is also another drug out there that's old but not a statin. Gemfibrozil ( rarely use this drug)

Here is an example of one of my interventions. 68 yr old female with Cholesterol at 240 and Trigicerides at 320. She is of Irish decent. She could not, and refused to take statins of any kind. Six months after Fish Oil and Niacin we got the Triglycerides were down to 240 and Cholesterol was down to 220. I added Zetia and one year latter she is at Trig 160 and Cho 210. Her levels are still elevated but she is pretty close to normal if not having any other risk factors.

Now what would the recommendation have been if she had a history of Heart Attack or Angina... Well I would give it a New York "Fa-Git-A-Bout-It"... Take your dam Statin!
Old 04-05-22, 02:06 PM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 77 Posts
Thanks Zandoval. Ive started something I call 7-0-0-3. Seven servings of fruit and veg each day (minimum), 0 alcohol, 0 sweets, 3 miles of walking each day. Ive dropped ten pounds in 90 days. My doc last week, said "just keep doing what you are doing". Im getting a full physical and blood work in June. My BP has plummeted.
Likes For boozergut: