Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Rear hitch bike rack for truck with shell...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-18, 08:06 AM
JohnnyMordoc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Folks,

Looking for a rear trailer hitch rack to transport my hybrid bike.

I have a truck with a shell and am looking for some options in the Thule line.

Do not want to damage the truck / shell or the bike and still have some access.

Any recommendations / experience or options?

Thanks in advance.

JJ
Old 07-09-18, 09:05 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
Not a recommendation, but I like to be able to open the window without tilting the rack which is usually the case. It's also handy if tilted with bikes on, you can open the tailgate flat.
Old 07-09-18, 09:10 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Not a recommendation, but I like to be able to open the window without tilting the rack which is usually the case. It's also handy if tilted with bikes on, you can open the tailgate flat.
wow, I can see the convenience, but how far does that rack extend rearward from your truck?
Old 07-09-18, 09:17 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

It all depends on hitch, rack, shell, and bed design. often the shell sits high enough for the window to clear.
Old 07-09-18, 09:26 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by dedhed
It all depends on hitch, rack, shell, and bed design. often the shell sits high enough for the window to clear.
oh sorry, just re-read that. I was thinking tailgate. my bad
Old 07-09-18, 10:58 AM
JohnnyMordoc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Truck is a full size GMC with a shell ….

Ideally would not mind having to tilt it back - just want something that gives me enough space between handle bars and pedals - as to not scratch up paint or put any dents in truck or damage bike.

Thanks.
Old 07-09-18, 12:26 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
The best (and most expensive) rear hitch rack you can buy is a 1upusa rack. Here's a pic of the silver model, it also comes in black which is nicer looking:

It's a really nice rack, and made of aluminum it won't rust, but it's also very expensive...I think around $500 for 2 bikes and $1000 for 4 bikes (with a 2" hitch).

You can get much cheaper racks elsewhere though they're not as nice and usually made of steel which has rust drawbacks. Like for $130 here's a swagman 2 bike rack on amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Swagman-Cross...dp/B0001VO1YY/

I call this style of rack the "hold by the wheel" style of rack, you don't need to worry about the bikes rubbing against each other or against the vehicle with this kind of rack.
Old 07-09-18, 01:04 PM
wsteve464

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
Kuat racks I have one of their NVs it tilts down enough for me to open my tailgate on my Toyota Tacoma.

NV 2.0 ? Kuat Racks
Old 07-12-18, 07:28 AM
JohnnyMordoc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulRivers
The best (and most expensive) rear hitch rack you can buy is a 1upusa rack. Here's a pic of the silver model, it also comes in black which is nicer looking:

It's a really nice rack, and made of aluminum it won't rust, but it's also very expensive...I think around $500 for 2 bikes and $1000 for 4 bikes (with a 2" hitch).

You can get much cheaper racks elsewhere though they're not as nice and usually made of steel which has rust drawbacks. Like for $130 here's a swagman 2 bike rack on amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Swagman-Cross...dp/B0001VO1YY/

I call this style of rack the "hold by the wheel" style of rack, you don't need to worry about the bikes rubbing against each other or against the vehicle with this kind of rack.
Thanks - I like the 1up.
https://www.1up-usa.com/product/2in-...ble-bike-rack/

The problem is that the are not local and do not appear to have any local distributors. I would like to be able to test it to see if it will give me the clearance between the back of the vehicle and the handle bars. I measured the handle bars and it is approximately 15" from center front tire to end of the bars. I like the tire mounted vs. the hanging but may need to go that route to get a "swing away" ….
Old 07-12-18, 08:24 AM
rumrunn6

yeah getting the "fit" that's best your our particular vehicle is the most bizarre & disappointing aspect of bike racks, especially hitch racks.

my 1st hitch rack was from REI. went outside to try to install it with the salesman after I paid for it & it would not fit (could not slide the rack into the hitch enough to use the only hole). returned it right away even tho we couldn't get all the parts back in the box. hate when that happens, but they couldn't be nicer. got an REI near you?

eTrailer tries really hard to show exact fit on many vehicles including showing measurements & clearances. but with the # of vehicles in use multiplied by the growing # of racks for sale, they can't possibly show a video of every rack on every vehicle. but you might check them out for some clues. I just took a quick look but either the web site wasn't working correctly or they don't have racks for p/u trucks?

also do you have one of these rack shops within driving distance of you?

https://www.rackattack.com/info/store-locations.aspx

Last edited by rumrunn6; 07-12-18 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-12-18, 09:01 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Put the bike in the bed of the truck. Forgetabout the rack
Old 07-12-18, 09:22 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by trailangel
Put the bike in the bed of the truck. Forgetabout the rack
they have tailgate covers so the front wheel hangs over & uses less of the truck bed
Old 07-12-18, 09:29 AM
PaulRivers

Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnnyMordoc
The problem is that the are not local and do not appear to have any local distributors. I would like to be able to test it to see if it will give me the clearance between the back of the vehicle and the handle bars. I measured the handle bars and it is approximately 15" from center front tire to end of the bars. I like the tire mounted vs. the hanging but may need to go that route to get a "swing away" ….
I hear you...I wish you luck though. I don't think you'll find anywhere that actually lets you try the rack on your vehicle before buying it because the moment you slide the rack into the hitch you scratch up that part of the rack and it's no longer new. No big deal if a friend owns the rack or something but the store can't sell somewhat scratched racks as new (even though the moment someone puts it on their own car it will scratch no matter what they do).

You might be able to find a place that lets you measure out the rack but I don't think you'll find any store that lets you put it on your car to try it before you buy it.
Old 07-14-18, 07:21 AM
JohnnyMordoc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Folks - trust me. If I could just put the bike in the bed of the truck I would - just would not have any room for the family camping gear. .
I may have found an option to clearance issue, receiver extenders.

https://www.curtmfg.com/towing-acces...ders/extenders

I am also going to visit one of local shops that do nothing but racks and hitches...…and bring my bike.

https://www.therackspot.com/

They should have demos and I should be able to find something that will have the clearance between the bike handlebars and shell.

Getting closer......
Old 07-14-18, 09:05 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Some are made to swing out of the way , on a hinge...

costs more than those that don't have that feature , of course..
Old 07-14-18, 12:05 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-...der-69882.html

I had to build something similar to use my 1 1/4" rack in the 2" hitch of my full size conversion van with a rear door mounted spare tire. Even without the size difference the spare stuck out too far to use the rack without an extension. Back then I couldn't buy what I needed so I picked up the needed square steel and welded up my own.
Old 07-14-18, 12:05 PM
Dchiefransom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Performance Bicycle has one built for them by Hollywood. https://www.performancebike.com/shop...h-rack-40-0175 Don't use the adapter with the rack. Get the adapter from U-Haul for 2" to 1 1/4". Brings it out a little further.
Old 07-16-18, 07:56 AM
JohnnyMordoc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback and information.

I decided to go with the Thule Helium Aero 2 -
https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/bike-...ro-2-_-1680099

Although the Thule T2 XT Pro 2" was my original choice -
https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/bike-...---2-_-1691037

I was able to stop by a local shop - https://www.therackspot.com/ that deals in nothing but hitches and racks.

We were able to mount some demo racks on my truck and check the clearance between the tailgate and rear shell window. I was able to lower my tailgate with both of these with the tilt function.

I was also able to load my bike on the racks and check the clearance between the handlebars and rear shell.

Both provided plenty of room to avoid any rubbing against the shell window or tailgate.

While the T2 Pro XT 2 was my target rack - the gentlemen at the shop was able to show me the alternative one - the Helium Aero 2.

He had mentioned that the T2 Pro XT 2 was more geared for the high-end carbon frame bikes since it mounts using the front wheel as opposed to hanging on the cross bar of the frame.

Price was the other factor to consider - the T2 is $579.00 vs. the Helium at $379.00.

Both did not need any trailer hitch extenders either which also saved some $$$$.

The local shop is also able to key the locks to my existing Thule roof rack that I have for my shell (another + - one key to lock the rack to the receiver, lock the bikes and .lock my cross-bars on the roof rack.)

I am glad that I was able to find a local shop that does nothing but racks for their business (https://www.therackspot.com/ ) and check out the demo racks on my vehicle - I was even able to confirm my rear backup camera even works!!

Thanks again for all the information.

Old 07-17-22, 06:01 PM
VETMANSHU 

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Photo?

I know several years have passed since this thread was last used but you wouldn't happen to have a photo of your setup? Are you happy with the choice of the Thule Helium Aero 2?
Many thanks.
Old 07-19-22, 12:50 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 405 Posts
Originally Posted by VETMANSHU
I know several years ....
If you search his posts you will see he has not posted since last Sept so you might not get a response. I had my very old rack smashed in a parking lot while out on a ride and the gentleman cyclist left me a note and paid almost half the cost of a Thule Helium Pro 2 bike which I love. I don't think they make the Helium Aero anymore or at least my shop did not have one in the catalog I looked at to make my selection.
Old 07-19-22, 02:22 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
I have an older Yakima that fits on a hitch and tilts. The shell would open no problem but the tailgate will not open flat although you could put a rag down and gently let it rest on the button that activates the tilt feature.
Likes For Rdmonster69:
Old 07-19-22, 03:12 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnnyMordoc
Truck is a full size GMC with a shell ….

Ideally would not mind having to tilt it back - just want something that gives me enough space between handle bars and pedals - as to not scratch up paint or put any dents in truck or damage bike.

Thanks.
Get yourself a hitch receiver extension to move the rack back from the tailgate. I have a much longer extension than you'd need, almost 3' (two extensions!) on my truck which has a camper with a rear platform on it. I extended it to get the receiver out from under the platform. There is no problem with this set up with two heavy mountain bikes. The extension's leverage does affect how it rides on the rear suspension so it does limit the weight limit (like if you have a heavy trailer's tongue weight), but a bike rack, even with two e-bikes on it - will be a trivial matter, imho.

If you do this, install an anti-rattle clamp between the truck's receiver and the extension to stiffen things up and eliminate sway and noise from that joint. Hopefully, your bike rack will have anti-sway/rattle connection, which most do.

Last edited by Camilo; 07-19-22 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-19-22, 03:55 PM
Rolla

Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts