Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Worth it to preemptively pay extra for threaded BB option on new road bike?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Worth it to preemptively pay extra for threaded BB option on new road bike?

Old 07-20-22, 02:22 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by supernova87a
Not that this is an important consideration, but why would Litespeed do this? Just an upsell opportunity, given that people are willing to pay? I read into it, if they offer a standard PF by default, they deem it a good enough experience for their product, even if you do not buy the threaded option?
If you change bottom brackets a lot (tester or tinkerer) the threaded BB option will save time. Or maybe someone already has an expensive T47 BB.
Old 07-20-22, 02:26 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 2,913 Times in 1,781 Posts
Or you had a creaky press fit in the past and are just prejudiced against them so Litespeed wants to offer options.
Old 07-20-22, 02:28 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
Precise language: your Chris King BB was not a 'bunch of parts', but consisted of 2 cups which threaded into the bike frame. In each of those cups, there was a single cartridge bearing that had been pressed in. Your bottom bracket spindle is in contact with and rotates with the inside of each cart.

So your BB is press-fit. Similarly all current BBs are press-fit, regardless of maker or BB specification.

A threaded BB setup does not prevent BB problems if either the threaded BB shell, or the BB itself is out of out of spec. I've seen several frames that were threaded out of spec, and rapid BB wear and creaking resulted.
The bottom bracket's bearing cartridge is pressfit. But the bottom bracket is threaded. I really dont know why you are clarifying any of this though.
Based on common discussion from users and industry insiders, tolerance for PF is often too relaxed and threaded BB is rarely so far off.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 07-20-22, 02:29 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

And I get that it's a nice insurance against future PF issues. I guess I'm on the fence about whether it's worth it. Even on my current bike I'm not that bothered by various hiccups/noises, but maybe with such a nice bike I'll start to get more discriminating!
$250 for a threaded BB is absurd.
But if I had to buy that bike, I would pay the $250 for sure. I do maintenance and the convenience of being able to pull a BB is enough to make the cost worth it.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 07-20-22, 02:33 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
Not that this is an important consideration, but why would Litespeed do this? Just an upsell opportunity, given that people are willing to pay? I read into it, if they offer a standard PF by default, they deem it a good enough experience for their product, even if you do not buy the threaded option?
Or, when someone complains that their Litespeed PF bottom bracket creaks, they can say "Well, we offered you the threaded version for chump change compared to what we charge for your bike, and you cheaped out. Sucks to be you!"
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 07-20-22, 03:14 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
I’m gonna be laugh my ass off, hard, at the first fool who cross-threads a Litespeed with an optional T47 BB.
Old 07-20-22, 04:27 PM
himespau 

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
$250 for a threaded BB is absurd.
But if I had to buy that bike, I would pay the $250 for sure. I do maintenance and the convenience of being able to pull a BB is enough to make the cost worth it.
But the real question is, is that $250 for them to thread the BB shell for a T47 BB, or is it a full bike that includes the extra work and the more expensive T47 BB itself? Still seems like an overcharge, but I'd probably do it too if it's the latter.
Likes For himespau:
Old 07-20-22, 05:09 PM
supernova87a

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
But the real question is, is that $250 for them to thread the BB shell for a T47 BB, or is it a full bike that includes the extra work and the more expensive T47 BB itself? Still seems like an overcharge, but I'd probably do it too if it's the latter.
It's the additional $ charge on the full built bike, using T47 BB.
Old 07-20-22, 06:56 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by chaadster
I’m gonna be laugh my ass off, hard, at the first fool who cross-threads a Litespeed with an optional T47 BB.
Laugh at someone who accidentally damages their frame?
Yeah, that tracks.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 07-20-22, 10:33 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

I’m probably going to pee myself laughing when I first learn some fool’s optioned T47 BB has galled with the Ti BB shell and can’t be removed!
Old 07-20-22, 11:41 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
I would personally go for PF30 + a hambini BB, which would end up being roughly the same price as the T47 but marginally lighter and stiffer. I doubt the galling chaadster mentioned would be an issue either, since the BB is basically a permanent installation.

EDIT: to answer your question "if it were so disadvantageous to have a press fit BB, why would bike manufacturers offer it?". It's not "disadvantageous". It's just easier to get away with horrible manufacturing. PF is lighter, stiffer and cheaper. Threaded is just easier to service at home but more importantly, it forces bike manufacturers to meet a minimum threshold of quality. You can't screw in your BB if the hole is oval.

Last edited by smashndash; 07-20-22 at 11:44 PM.
Likes For smashndash:
Old 07-21-22, 07:16 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
I’m probably going to pee myself laughing when I first learn some fool’s optioned T47 BB has galled with the Ti BB shell and can’t be removed!
My old Litespeed was designed for a threaded BB and I installed it with the anti-seize recommended by the manufacturer. Why do you hate other people so much that you laugh at their misfortune.
Likes For Rdmonster69:
Old 07-21-22, 07:25 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
Old 07-21-22, 07:31 AM
himespau 

Originally Posted by Rdmonster69
My old Litespeed was designed for a threaded BB and I installed it with the anti-seize recommended by the manufacturer. Why do you hate other people so much that you laugh at their misfortune.
I have a Merckx Titanium EX built by Litespeed with an Italian-threaded BB that came to me with a shot Octalink BB galled into the threads. After 2 months, the lbs gave up. Took me a lot more time, some nasty home-brewed chemicals (acetone/ATF), a fair bit of heat from multiple applications of a torch, and a helluva lot of torque, but I was able to get it out. Like you, I put in some special anti-seize (and a lot of prayers) before I put the new BB in. Not sure why finding the misfortune of others is funny.
Old 07-21-22, 07:50 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Oh, c’mon…don’t you know a troll when you see one? I was baiting the suckers, albeit while also trying to highlight the point that hating on pressfit BBs because they might creak is as silly as hating on threaded BBs because they might crossthread or might gall.

Moving on to more complex matters, I’d say it’s far more likely that some yahoo who thinks threaded BBs are easy will foul a BB install than it is that Litespeed won’t make an accurate Ti BB shell.

Anyone wanna take a bet on the ratio— just here on BF— of creaky Litespeed Ti pressfit BB complaints to complaints about seized and/or damaged threads on Ti frames and Al BB cups?
Old 07-21-22, 07:59 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
Oh, c’mon…don’t you know a troll when you see one? I was baiting the suckers.
Alright ....ya got me .... LOL.

I work on alot of stuff (bikes, cars, motorcycles) .... I doubt that cross-threading a BB is going to be an issue for me (fingers crossed). I have no real prejudice against press fit BB but I don't want to have to buy new tools and learn about them. It's for that reason that I usually rule them out. I already have a few different BB tools for threaded set ups. I suppose if the day comes that I can't pass up a bike with a press fit I will learn.
Likes For Rdmonster69:
Old 07-21-22, 09:14 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Alright ....ya got me .... LOL.

I work on alot of stuff (bikes, cars, motorcycles) .... I doubt that cross-threading a BB is going to be an issue for me (fingers crossed). I have no real prejudice against press fit BB but I don't want to have to buy new tools and learn about them. It's for that reason that I usually rule them out. I already have a few different BB tools for threaded set ups. I suppose if the day comes that I can't pass up a bike with a press fit I will learn.
Yeah, I totally get that and appreciate what you’re saying. I do wish more people were honest about that kind of stuff, though, so we could have a substantive discussion and dole out valuable advice rather than worthless dogma based in ignorance.
Old 07-21-22, 11:25 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
Yeah, I totally get that and appreciate what you’re saying. I do wish more people were honest about that kind of stuff, though, so we could have a substantive discussion and dole out valuable advice rather than worthless dogma based in ignorance.
Hope springs eternal. But in this place, not likely.
Likes For datlas:
Old 07-21-22, 04:32 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
A wheels manufacturing thread together BB with angular contact bearings will spin freely and never creak. I've used then on BB86 and BB386 shells.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 07-21-22, 05:46 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Hope springs eternal. But in this place, not likely.
You mean anywhere on Earth, right?
Old 07-22-22, 12:03 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
I personally wouldn't pay extra for the threaded BB because I don't think creaking is a problem that can't be easily avoided.

I opted for the PF30 on my wife's Litespeed Watia rather than the substantial upcharge for threaded. I had excellent carefree service on her other PF30 bike (a Jamis CF frame) using a Praxis thread together PF30 bottom bracket and before that the cheap OEM plastic press fit BB it came with. No creaking no drama. I went the same thread together route when I built up the the Watia with Sram DUB, but tried the Wheels Manufacturing version. They're different but same principle. Easy to install and remove.

That said, my Lynskey GR300 came standard with BSA threaded bottom bracket, and BSA threaded is and would have been my preference for all bikes if offered standard. But, I would have still bought the GR300 regardless.

Frankly, this oversized BB thing I think is a bit overkill for me and probably many if not most recreational enthusiasts, even strong amateur racers. I have no need - nor do I think do many riders - for a "more stiff" bottom bracket. I mean, please chime in if you've ever (I mean really, ever) felt the bottom bracket on your modern decent quality bike - aluminum, steel, CF, titanium - is too flexible. Really? Yes maybe for the 1 in a million pro-class sprinters, but for the rest of us 999,999? And the weight? Even when I was afflicted with weight weenism, it was a non-issue.

But I think the creakiness of PF BB's is quite a bit overstated, becoming Urban Legend at this stage of the technology.

Last edited by Camilo; 07-22-22 at 12:10 AM.
Old 07-22-22, 02:47 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Camilo
Frankly, this oversized BB thing I think is a bit overkill for me and probably many if not most recreational enthusiasts, even strong amateur racers. I have no need - nor do I think do many riders - for a "more stiff" bottom bracket. I mean, please chime in if you've ever (I mean really, ever) felt the bottom bracket on your modern decent quality bike - aluminum, steel, CF, titanium - is too flexible. Really? Yes maybe for the 1 in a million pro-class sprinters, but for the rest of us 999,999? And the weight? Even when I was afflicted with weight weenism, it was a non-issue.

But I think the creakiness of PF BB's is quite a bit overstated, becoming Urban Legend at this stage of the technology.
I think the benefit, as someone mentioned upthread, of the OS BB shell is not so much stiffness of the BB, but rather that the bigger and wider BB shell provides the builder more room to work with larger tubes and shapes, affording overall frame stiffness and better tire clearance with tighter geometry. Particular to metal, the extra space of the OS shell allows the weld heat affected zones to be more isolated and smaller, maintaining the more uniform and predictable original mechanical properties of the shell metal.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 07-22-22, 05:23 AM
himespau 

That and the room to run wiring through it internally.
Old 07-22-22, 06:12 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 353 Posts
Why Litespeed? The ‘true’ Litepseeds are made by Lynskey. The track record of Litespeed particularly on warranty issues ever since they were sold to the devil, American Bicycle Group is very poor. So don’t pay anything to ABG, threaded BB or press fit. Instead get a Lynskey or a Moots.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 07-24-22, 12:50 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Why Litespeed? The ‘true’ Litepseeds are made by Lynskey. The track record of Litespeed particularly on warranty issues ever since they were sold to the devil, American Bicycle Group is very poor. So don’t pay anything to ABG, threaded BB or press fit. Instead get a Lynskey or a Moots.
Bah. I have an older "Lynskey" Litespeed, a new Lynskey and my wife has a new Litespeed. By anything I can see, the new Litespeeds are great frames in comparison to the 90's era Litespeeds and current Lynskeys. In some ways, i think my wife's Litespeed is built to slightly better standards than my new Lynskey, but of course, that's a sample of one each. And of course, one could indeed get a Moots instead, but it would cost, what?, double? The Litespeed (Watia) and Lynskey (GR300) we purchased about a year ago were fairly similar in price after discounts and shipping and I thougt both were equivalent value - the Litespeed was a couple hundred less and weight a few ounces less. Last time I looked Moots isn't anywhere near the same price point. Nice, yes, but apples to oranges.

Last edited by Camilo; 07-24-22 at 12:53 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.