Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Low speed on road bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Low speed on road bike

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-22, 08:54 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8262 Post(s)
Liked 8,998 Times in 4,456 Posts
[QUOTE=cyclezen;22589956]
Ride on - However you might wish

Likes For big john:
Old 07-27-22, 08:57 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,600 Times in 2,907 Posts
I call it reverse snobbery.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 07-27-22, 08:58 PM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Who in their right mind would spend money on advertising that promotes buying old stuff that the advertiser doesn't sell or make money off of? Of course big bike is advertising their current products. Why would they advertise a 1984 Schwinn Varsity?
If you don't like the adds, fast forward thru them. That's one of the beauties of the newer TV systems. Of course, if you have a 19" CRT you are out of luck.
Just one of your assumptions is that I have a problem with ads, I don't because I know what they are, and I never see any anyway, at all. My concern is for the general population which is highly vulnerable to them. If they were not, then ads would not exist, something else would that they were vulnerable to. But thank-you for your time anyway, don't be afraid to give it another go.....
Old 07-27-22, 09:00 PM
big john

Originally Posted by beng1
Just one of your assumptions is that I have a problem with ads, I don't because I know what they are, and I never see any anyway, at all. My concern is for the general population which is highly vulnerable to them. If they were not, then ads would not exist, something else would that they were vulnerable to. But thank-you for your time anyway, don't be afraid to give it another go.....
Woosh.
Likes For big john:
Old 07-27-22, 09:04 PM
beng1
Banned

Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
IOtherwise, don;t come here with you MUP exploits to justify your view points. It mocks you more than what you intend towards others.Yuri
Assuming that the opinions of others matter to me in the way they apparently do to most humans, I guess that is what they all do and why they give them so often. For me they are entertainment in an interesting sort of way. So I sincerely thank you for the entertainment, and any you supply in the future.
Old 07-28-22, 02:13 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,857 Times in 6,071 Posts
People who don't care what others think don't post their opinions in public forums.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-28-22, 03:19 PM
Jack Tone 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
Assuming that the opinions of others matter to me in the way they apparently do to most humans, I guess that is what they all do and why they give them so often. For me they are entertainment in an interesting sort of way. So I sincerely thank you for the entertainment, and any you supply in the future.
Oh NO! Thank YOU for the entertainment.
Old 07-28-22, 03:21 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 633 Times in 432 Posts
LOL! Well OK ! I've always wanted to polish the shoes of my hero - Mel Brooks...
Entertain On
Yuri
Old 07-29-22, 10:39 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
People who don't care what others think don't post their opinions in public forums.
Lol .... That's awesome.

Compared to the OP and his pals I'm as slow as a pre climate change glacier !! I rode for years on an old Trek 2.3 ....would average about 14MPH on a MUP over 20 - 30 miles. After my accident I wanted a more comfortable bike so spent big money on a Trek Domane SLR6. It made me a whole 1 MPH faster over 30-40 miles. Was it money well spent ...Heck Yeah !!

I didn't even watch one ad before I decided to buy it !!

My attitude is I like bikes and don't care much what other people ride.
Old 07-29-22, 11:25 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by Rdmonster69
Lol .... That's awesome.

Compared to the OP and his pals I'm as slow as a pre climate change glacier !! I rode for years on an old Trek 2.3 ....would average about 14MPH on a MUP over 20 - 30 miles. After my accident I wanted a more comfortable bike so spent big money on a Trek Domane SLR6. It made me a whole 1 MPH faster over 30-40 miles. Was it money well spent ...Heck Yeah !!

I care what they ride, if what they ride is really cool.

Old 07-29-22, 11:32 AM
MrLuke

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Lol .... That's awesome.

14MPH in hills can be still good speed ... And about spending money on bikes, many of us buying carbon wheels for just little jump of average speed.
Old 07-29-22, 11:50 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

I care what they ride, if what they ride is really cool.
Okay .... I'm with you on this. Just FYI My bike is really cool !! Wann hear about it LOL !!! Actually my bikes are worth way more than my cars but my cars are pretty junky.
Old 07-29-22, 11:53 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Okay .... I'm with you on this. Just FYI My bike is really cool !! Wann hear about it LOL !!! Actually my bikes are worth way more than my cars but my cars are pretty junky.
I'd post a pic of my Litespeed, but I don't want to appear excessively proud.

Old 07-29-22, 11:53 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Originally Posted by MrLuke
14MPH in hills can be still good speed ... And about spending money on bikes, many of us buying carbon wheels for just little jump of average speed.

Well ..... I mostly ride a dead flat rail to trail path but there are a few bridges. There is also alot of slowing for road crossing but honestly I am not much faster on the open road.

Fun fact ...the main rail to trail MUP I ride was soliciting donations in the 80's to get started. As a dirt poor teenager I donated 10 bucks because I thought it was a cool concept and rode bikes back then as well. I got a nice sticker and here we are decades later. It is a 30+ mile MUP with several side trails.

I love it !!
Likes For Rdmonster69:
Old 07-29-22, 11:56 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

I'd post a pic of my Litespeed, but I don't want to appear excessively proud.

Did somebody say Litespeed !!!
Old 08-26-22, 07:13 AM
MrLuke

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Past a bit time but i back to update thread, so changed wheels alu fulcrum to primes(from CRC) 50mm carbons and tires vittoria zaffiro 25cc to vittoria corsa 28cc TL, and the average speed jumped around 3-4km/h i am surprised on flat road at first ride average speed was 33.8km/h and on hilly terrain gave a bit less but still 2-3km/h more.
Old 08-26-22, 09:03 AM
big john

Originally Posted by MrLuke
Past a bit time but i back to update thread, so changed wheels alu fulcrum to primes(from CRC) 50mm carbons and tires vittoria zaffiro 25cc to vittoria corsa 28cc TL, and the average speed jumped around 3-4km/h i am surprised on flat road at first ride average speed was 33.8km/h and on hilly terrain gave a bit less but still 2-3km/h more.
The fact that you have been on a road bike for more time has probably helped, too. Have you been riding more with those faster riders?
Old 08-27-22, 02:19 PM
MrLuke

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
The fact that you have been on a road bike for more time has probably helped, too. Have you been riding more with those faster riders?
No I am riding alone most time or with slower then I am.
Likes For MrLuke: