Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Schwinn Collegiate Cable Housings

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-22, 08:21 PM
stalefish168

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I am in the process of restoring my first vintage bicycle, a 1966 Schwinn Ladies Collegiate. I am bit new to the space and after searching the forum have not been able to locate a posting on how to source NOS or similar looking shifter and brake cables and so am humbling asking for some help from the community.

The two shifter cable housings are grey in color, 4mm in diameter, and have a waffle pattern on the outside. The shorter rear one is in most urgent need of replacement as the outer casing has started to disintegrate.

The brake cable housings are white in color (now yellowed with age) and are 5mm in diameter. Here I would be interested in replacing both the cable housings as well as the plastic ferrules at the hand brake levers as these have started to crack.

Thank you all for your time and advise.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Shifter_Cable.pdf (560.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: pdf
Brake_Cable.pdf (42.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 08-15-22, 09:34 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3808 Post(s)
Liked 6,683 Times in 2,609 Posts
Pork Chop BMX is often a good source: https://www.porkchopbmx.com/search/Cable+housing/
Likes For nlerner:
Old 08-15-22, 10:57 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts
I restored a 73 Collegiate recently, got the cable housing from Yokozunausa.com, they have a pretty good selection of new vintage style cable housing. Also nos vintage Schwinn cables and housing do show up on eBay occasionally.
Tim

Last edited by tkamd73; 08-15-22 at 11:01 PM.
Old 08-15-22, 11:15 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
I like Jagwire Ice Grey for Schwinn bikes. It is close to the original silver/grey, at least in my mind. And it has the lined housing and smooth cable, so friction is as low as it reasonably could be. No greasing required.

Here is a link for it, however, it is widely available from other sources: BikeTiresDirect Jagwire Ice Grey brake cable kit

I like the brake kit for all the ferrules and do-dads that come with it. This should also be available for the shift cables. Make sure that you get the kit with the cable end with the correct end for your brake and shift levers.

I see it is backordered until the end of August. But at least you can see what I like. It could be available from other suppliers.

One other good thing about the ice grey is that it goes well with most colors.
Old 08-16-22, 12:28 AM
eeuuugh

Bikes: Aerotek 4000, Trek 950, Huffy Nel Lusso

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 49 Posts
The small bend of rear derailleur housing between the downtube and driveside chainstay can be incredibly difficult to replace on old schwinns, even with the cranks removed. Leave it there if you can. If you can't, use 4mm housing, cut the plastic ferrules short so they fit easily between the housing stop and the housing guide of the brazeons, grease the ends of the housing and the section of the brazeons the housing has to slip through, and expect to spend fifteen or twenty minutes getting it into place.