Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What counts as a century?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What counts as a century?

Old 09-14-22, 06:16 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
One must have a Certificate to Qualify for a 100 miles.
Where is yours?

Local Club gives Jersey if one can ride a Century Each Month for a year. I have THREE.

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 09-14-22 at 06:29 AM. Reason: add
Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 09-14-22, 06:17 AM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
I set the DISPLAY OPTONS (under the thread listing) to show stuff in Thread Start Time order.

As a new Thread comes up, I either subscribe or move on. That Thread just drops to the bottom never to be seen again.
I have a shortcut on the desktop that already has the Display Options set.

Works for me.

Barry

Would like to try this, cannot find Display Options. More clues, please. Thanks.
Old 09-14-22, 06:46 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 671 Posts
Originally Posted by BCDrums
Would like to try this, cannot find Display Options. More clues, please. Thanks.
Go to your favorite sub forum, let’s assume >General Cycling Discussion
You will see a “New Thread” button at the top of the page above all the Threads.
You will also see a New Thread button below all the threads and just below that button …… Bingo you found it !
Likes For Barry2:
Old 09-14-22, 07:00 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
And end up with another thread that's at least 5 pages long because everyone has to argue about it. Forever.
No we don't.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 09-14-22, 07:05 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
If it's in the same day, it's a century. Walking 24 miles isn't a marathon because a marathon is a running race. A century is a 100 mile bike ride, not a race, who cares if you cut it up in segments? Actually, who cares what you or I or anyone else calls it? I call it a century to give myself a mileage goal for the day, I'm not putting it up on some Galactic scoreboard.
This is exactly what I think. Who cares if there are long breaks in between riding time? If you want to call it a century, then call it a century. It neither breaks my arm nor picks my pocket to say that several different rides throughout the day which add up to 100 miles are a century or not. The way I see it is that riding 100 miles in a day is something to be proud of, whether you call it a century or not.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 09-14-22, 07:33 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
A century is a 100 mile bike ride, not a race....
With Larry, every ride is a race. Even when the other person doesn't even know it.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 09-14-22, 07:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
What you did there Larry was 4 distinct, separate rides in the same day. That's not a single "Century" ride regardless of the total mileage. A "Century" ride is a single ride with the specific intention of completing a 100 mile route. It might involve multiple breaks along the way, but it's all part of the same ride and end goal. What you did was a bunch of disconnected rides for different purposes that just happened to total 85 miles. So yes it would have been weird to add anther 15 miles and call it a Century ride!

Nah, that just makes it a complex question of state of mind that basically says you can do pretty much the exact same amount of riding on two different occasions and one will be a century because you decided it was beforehand and the other isn't because you didn't decide that beforehand. And deciding to add the 15 miles to make it 100 is exactly the same thing as deciding to ride 100 miles from the gitgo--riding miles to meet a distance goal, so what's weird about it?

I've been doing a weekly solo century or two-day weekend riding that totals 150+ miles for the past several months. At some point, the magic of the term "century" has worn off.

I think people tend to take labels of solo rides too seriously. Unless there's a specific training program involved, it really doesn't matter how you ride the 100 miles in the given day.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-14-22, 08:10 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by wolfchild
That's not a century ride...All you did was three separate shorter rides in a day...A century should be done uninterrupted by anything other than maybe few short stops to eat or drink...I highly doubt that most cyclists have enough stamina and endurance to do a 100 mile ride uninterrupted.

My guess is that I've done as many or more solo centuries compared to any other person on this thread as I've probably averaged about 30 such rides per year for the past 4 years. I've done it uninterrupted several times especially during the COVID shutdown when there was nowhere open to stop. Usually, though, I take a hour or two break for lunch or sightseeing or whatever, Frankly, the difference in stamina and endurance required really isn't that much, I just find the no-breaks ride incredibly tedious, and the break in the middle is usually to do something I will enjoy. It's a way of motivating myself to ride the distance.

Psst--guess what? There's no official "what's a solo century" rule.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-14-22, 08:24 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
Your ride(s), your rules.
Only you can prevent needless thread fires.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 09-14-22, 08:28 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10244 Post(s)
Liked 11,597 Times in 5,944 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
Going home after 50 miles for lunch does not qualify either. IMO....
What if it takes another 50 miles to get home?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-14-22, 09:10 AM
kwb377 
Definitely an amateur...

Bikes: Obed Baseline, Stumpy FSR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 32 Posts
It neither breaks my arm nor picks my pocket to say that several different rides throughout the day which add up to 100 miles are a century or not. The way I see it is that riding 100 miles in a day is something to be proud of, whether you call it a century or not.
I like this line of thinking...I'm going to start telling people that I can bench-press 2,000lbs. (after I do ten reps of 200 lbs.)
Likes For kwb377:
Old 09-14-22, 09:33 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 408 Posts
I thought it was 100 nautical miles.

Dan
(retired Navy guy)
Old 09-14-22, 10:10 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 1,248 Times in 721 Posts
Originally Posted by BCDrums
When is that Ignore Thread button going to be available?
In fairness, this thread is much preferable to so many I have seen lately. This one is actually answerable, and sort of understandable from a personal curiosity standpoint.
Likes For phughes:
Old 09-14-22, 10:25 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by kwb377
I like this line of thinking...I'm going to start telling people that I can bench-press 2,000lbs. (after I do ten reps of 200 lbs.)
That analogy doesn't work even as a joke. The distance (100 miles) and the time to complete it (1 day) are the same, so I can't figure out which of those you're equating to a different magnitude of weight. I think this is like people arguing whether you can say you did 10 reps of 200 pounds if you took more than x time between lifts. Actually, it's even worse--it's people arguing that one guy doing the lifts 30 seconds apart is doing 10 reps because he intended to do that while the other guy who is doing the same number of lifts 10 seconds apart isn't doing 10 reps because he intended to just do 5, but then when he finished the 5 decided to keep going up to 10.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-14-22, 10:28 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by hazetguy
please define a "day".
a calendar day?
a designated 24 hour period?
what if someone lives near a time zone line, and they can easily pass between, cross, or begin and end in two different time zones? how does that time discrepancy play into the "day" designation?
and what if said person who lives near a time zone line is riding during the time where clocks are changed (daylight savings/standard, forward in spring, backward in fall)? how do those clock changes affect the "day", especially if that time zone lies on an area where one "side" observes the clock change and the other doesn't? there are multiple hours that can be gained or lost in that "day".

Please define your exacting parameters, otherwise your quetion is unanswerable.

Why stop there--define "ride".
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-14-22, 10:36 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

what about "mile"? nautical? imperial? statute? other? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mile

and why just 'guys'? are 'gals' not allowed to "ride" 100 "miles"?

THESE ARE THE TOUGH QUESTIONS THAT BEG TO BE ANSWERED!

If you ride a century in the forest and knock yourself out instantly by hitting a tree, does the crash make a noise?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-14-22, 10:52 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
It all depends on whether, when you're doing that non riding stuff in-between, you're still on a ride.

I do multi-day brevets, and I consider them a single ride because the clock is ticking. Even if I'm in my overnight hotel sleeping, I'm still on the ride. Because during that whole time, the ride is what life is all about. If I'm eating, it's to fuel the ride. If I'm sleeping, it's because I need sleep to carry on or because supplies are not available at night. But if I decide to DNF at the overnight, and ride home the next day, that was two rides. It's a state of mind.

I once did a 1000k brevet that was such a stupidly fast course that on the 2nd overnight, we had a campfire with hotdogs and marshmallows, then time for 8 hours of sleep. I call that one pretty marginal about being a single ride. The clock was ticking, but there was so much off-bike time it felt like multiple rides.
Old 09-14-22, 11:03 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
I thought it was 100 nautical miles.

Dan
(retired Navy guy)
A nautical mile is one minute of latitude. 1/60th of 1/90th of the distance from equator to pole. This is a reason why naval people still use it and haven't fully adopted kilometers. It allows some clever arithmetic and trig tricks, and a kilometer has no relation to a degree. But in fact there is also a metric degree, or gradian, 1/100 of a right angle. A kilometer is 1/10,000 of the distance from equator to pole so a kilometer is one centigrad. It does not have the same arithmetic and trig tricks, but it has others... like +100 is on your right, +200 behind you, etc, and it's easier to use in a digital calculator.

Metric has now been all redefined to various atomic properties, so it's not dependent on the Earth, but that doesn't defeat the usefulness of the way it was scaled to begin with.

Both of these are linked to time by the Earth making a rotation in a day, but not directly enough. 15 seconds of longitude go by in a second of time, because there are 360 degrees in 24 hours. The second of time has been 1/(24x60x60) since it was defined during the Enlightenment. It's pretty useful and satisfying size being equivalent to about a heartbeat, or a beat, or a phrase. It did not get a satisfactory metric replacement during the Revolution though there were some stabs at it.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 09-14-22, 11:07 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
For Larry:
Feel free to use the round-up rule. If you're over halfway, you can round up.
A 25 mile ride is halfway to a 50-mile ride, so round up.
Once there, a 50 mile ride is halfway to 100 miles, so round up.
There ya go! 25 miles = a century!
Old 09-14-22, 11:09 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10244 Post(s)
Liked 11,597 Times in 5,944 Posts
Why stop there--define "ride".
What do I mean by the word 'mean'? What do I mean by the word 'word'? What do I mean by 'what do I mean'? What do I mean by 'do' and what do I do by 'mean'? And what do I do by do by do and what do I mean by wasting your time like this? Good night.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-14-22, 11:26 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,427 Times in 2,826 Posts
Originally Posted by BobsPoprad
You all have good ideas....but I have the real answer.

If you got/bought a t-shirt/jersey for the "event," then it was a century (distance covered of course). If there is a cutoff time, then you need to be in by that time.

If not, it was just a long ride.

Same with marathons.

Done plenty of both.

You're welcome 😁
This is terrible news. I have done a bunch of centuries but only got one t-shirt. Looks like they are all nullified. Thanks a lot!

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-14-22, 11:29 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

please define a "day".
a calendar day?
a designated 24 hour period?
what if someone lives near a time zone line, and they can easily pass between, cross, or begin and end in two different time zones? how does that time discrepancy play into the "day" designation?
and what if said person who lives near a time zone line is riding during the time where clocks are changed (daylight savings/standard, forward in spring, backward in fall)? how do those clock changes affect the "day", especially if that time zone lies on an area where one "side" observes the clock change and the other doesn't? there are multiple hours that can be gained or lost in that "day".

Please define your exacting parameters, otherwise your quetion is unanswerable.
Do you really exist? How do you know? What evidence other than your sensory perception do you have? Do you exist in parallel universes and how do you know if this one is your actual reality?

Old 09-14-22, 11:30 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by genejockey
What do I mean by the word 'mean'? What do I mean by the word 'word'? What do I mean by 'what do I mean'? What do I mean by 'do' and what do I do by 'mean'? And what do I do by do by do and what do I mean by wasting your time like this? Good night.
I depends on what your definition of ‘is’, is.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-14-22, 11:34 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by downtube42
It all depends on whether, when you're doing that non riding stuff in-between, you're still on a ride.

I do multi-day brevets, and I consider them a single ride because the clock is ticking. Even if I'm in my overnight hotel sleeping, I'm still on the ride. Because during that whole time, the ride is what life is all about. If I'm eating, it's to fuel the ride. If I'm sleeping, it's because I need sleep to carry on or because supplies are not available at night. But if I decide to DNF at the overnight, and ride home the next day, that was two rides. It's a state of mind.

I once did a 1000k brevet that was such a stupidly fast course that on the 2nd overnight, we had a campfire with hotdogs and marshmallows, then time for 8 hours of sleep. I call that one pretty marginal about being a single ride. The clock was ticking, but there was so much off-bike time it felt like multiple rides.
If your significant other joins you for an overnight hotel stay and things get romantic, is it for the ride or is the brevet off at that point and you have to start over?

Old 09-14-22, 11:36 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
It really comes down to the spirit of riding a century. Someone who rides an unsupported 50 mile loop that starts and ends at home, eats lunch and goes out and rides it again should constitute a century. Eating at home is no different than any place else, especially unsupported and not an organized event.

Riding the 50 mile loop early in the morning, coming home, getting a massage, hooking up an IV, and taking a couple hour nap might be pushing it.

Likewise, finding a 25 mile primarily downhill and riding it 4 times in a day, being shuttled up to the top, just to get 100 miles is not really in the spirit of riding a century. Though technically being in the saddle for 100 miles with the occasional movement of the cranks.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.