Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Affordable Power Meter Recommendations?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 09-15-22, 10:08 AM
kyle13

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I'm new to cycling. I bought a Specialized Allez Elite at the end of June with the expectation of going on a casual ride with my wife every week or two. Then I got hooked and have put several hundred miles on it. Now I'd like to add a dual-sided power meter... without spending a grand on it.

Here are a couple options I'm looking at:
Favero Assioma Duo
Power2max NGeco Praxis

(I'd link to them for you, but I'm not permitted yet)

What are your opinions on those two options, and what other options might I be missing? Thanks!
Old 09-15-22, 10:19 AM
goingup

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Have you confirmed compatibility of your crank with the Power2max option?

I can tell you that I recently purchased a 4iii power meter from Europe for a significant discount from US pricing due to the favorable exchange rate. If you are willing to wait for international shipping, that may be an option to explore.
Old 09-15-22, 10:58 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22571 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
If you want affordable, consider getting a single sided unit.

I know someone who works for a PM company and he is quite knowledgeable in these matters. He admits that SS is pretty much as good as DS but they sell the DS because customers want them.
Likes For datlas:
Old 09-15-22, 11:10 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20801 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
I've had a P2M NGEco for... 25,000-30,000 miles? Reliable, good battery life [the batteries are easy to find now, too - you can even get them at Target], doesn't lock you in to a specific pedal system.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-15-22, 11:11 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked 1,131 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas

I know someone who works for a PM company and he is quite knowledgeable in these matters. He admits that SS is pretty much as good as DS but they sell the DS because customers want them.
For most users, a HRM is "pretty much as good" as a PM. Everything depends on what you're doing with the data.
Old 09-15-22, 11:17 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22571 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
For most users, a HRM is "pretty much as good" as a PM. Everything depends on what you're doing with the data.
That's true too.
Old 09-15-22, 11:24 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,621 Times in 927 Posts
I have no experience with the Power2Max. Mostly because I'm invested in Quarq after a long relationship with Powertap. So Others will have more useful input on that front.

But, between the Favero Assioma's and the Garmin XC's I chose the XC's. Really it came down to 50 hours of use verses 250 hours of use on a single battery change/charge.

I chose the dual sided XC 200 model. It required a software update & a calibration to generate believable numbers. It also generates a lot of pedal dynamics (how you pedal) viewable in Garmin Connect. Whether or not that is useful to you is anybody's guess.

I know for myself, single-sided measurement is inaccurate.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 09-15-22, 12:45 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 3,535 Times in 1,778 Posts
I'm on my second season using Favero Assioma (single-sided).

No complaints, they just work, and the app is easy to use.

But use the cleats that come with the pedals. I tried using Look Keo cleats, but they were super hard to clip out of.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 09-15-22, 01:04 PM
waters60

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
Define “ most users “. Think of HR as a metric of what you have been doing and PM as a metric of what you are currently doing. Let’s say you are riding up a 1/2 mile hill with varying gradients. As you start up a steeper pitch and want to be sure you are either not going too hard or not hard enough HR is worthless. By the time you are done with a 50 or 100 yard stretch HR may be reflecting what you had just done but will have offered no feedback while doing it.
Old 09-15-22, 01:08 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,790 Times in 3,305 Posts
Consider 4iiii also. They make some good crankarm based PM's. And you can just get a single side now and the other side later as their PM's will all work together so far if you decide years later to add the other side.

However since you are a beginner, I might suggest you wait and be sure you are going to be cycling still next year. And also that you aren't just still doing casual rides as those don't seem to me as needing a PM. Also, you'll need a good cyclometer to go with it and HR info as well to make decent assessments of what you are doing. So have you already gotten a good GPS cyclometer with HR that is also able to fully use PM data?
Old 09-15-22, 01:12 PM
Puppuccino

Bikes: 2015 BH Ultralight RC Ultegra

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse

But use the cleats that come with the pedals. I tried using Look Keo cleats, but they were super hard to clip out of.
That's interesting regarding the cleats, I have the Assioma pedals and use grey Look Keo cleats and they work perfect.
Old 09-15-22, 02:05 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 3,535 Times in 1,778 Posts
Originally Posted by Puppuccino
That's interesting regarding the cleats, I have the Assioma pedals and use grey Look Keo cleats and they work perfect.
Yeah, those were the cleats I had trouble with. Maybe I got Assioma pedals that were just a slightly bit tighter than normal.

Old 09-15-22, 02:17 PM
hayden52

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 19 Posts
Look on Ebay for a powertap wheel that matches your bike.
Old 09-15-22, 02:22 PM
procrit
carbon is too light

Bikes: Yes.

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 159 Posts
The Assiomas give you a lot of data on pedal stroke and are very durable, and you can swap them between bikes where most other types of power meters are fixed to one bike. The app works great and battery life is good as well. I've had a couple of sets for more than two years, no issues with them at all. You can also now buy just the spindle so you can use Shimano cleats, but the Look cleats to me are fine.

Since 2007 I've owned and used Powertap, SRM, a couple of different quarqs, assioma's, and now have a Giant dual sided crank power meter as well... I think they are all great, but $ for $, the Assioma's are an incredible value.
Likes For procrit:
Old 09-15-22, 02:34 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts

What do you do when the cleats that came with the pedals wear out?
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 09-15-22, 04:14 PM
jackyharuhiko

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
I just bought the Assioma Duo and it’s great!! Due to the exchange rate I got it under USD600.
Likes For jackyharuhiko:
Old 09-15-22, 04:15 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by kyle13
I'm new to cycling. I bought a Specialized Allez Elite at the end of June with the expectation of going on a casual ride with my wife every week or two. Then I got hooked and have put several hundred miles on it. Now I'd like to add a dual-sided power meter... without spending a grand on it.
Personally, my advice would be to NOT buy a powermeter. Not yet at least. Get a lot more miles in your legs first and get a feel for the effort required, then revisit this when you've put several thousand miles on it.

But if you must...

I'm a big fan of the Favero Assioma DUO powermeter pedals. The single-sided UNO version is probably fine. Probably. Pedal based powermeters are also easy to swap between bikes, I do this regularly.

^ I can second all of that. They simply just work, and the battery life is more than good enough.

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Buy new ones... 😛 (you can buy the Assioma specific cleats online)
Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 09-15-22, 04:15 PM
jackyharuhiko

Watch this. The cleats are Wellgo RC7.
Likes For jackyharuhiko:
Old 09-15-22, 04:24 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I have Vectors. Garmin doesn't sell replacement cleats, so I use the Look ones. That's very cool you guys have the option! I didn't know anybody did that. 🙂
Old 09-15-22, 06:42 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,319 Times in 672 Posts
Power2Max. Perfectly reliable, simple to use.
Old 09-15-22, 07:59 PM
jackyharuhiko

I used SPD-SL pedals before but since I don't want to assemble my own Assioma spindle + Shimano pedals combo I went for the Assioma Duo (Look Keo). Surprisingly I found that with the supplied cleats, it's quite easy to clip in and clip out, or I should say just the right about of force. My previous Shimano pedals always felt a bit too tight.

As I posted above Shane Miller did a test on the supplied cleats vs. original cleats and found that both the Xpedo / Wellgo RC7 cleats that come with the Assioma Duo, and original Look Keo cleats, can clip in/out of the Assioma pedals without problem. But just in case if you find any problem with the original cleats, you can always buy the Xpedo / Wellgo RC7 as replacement, they can be found quite cheap online. However, I had some poor experience with their RC9 SPD-SL cleats supplied with their R308 SPD-SL pedals before - the rubber parts wore out in no time. So far the RC7 looks good (well anyway Look Keo cleats don't have a lot of rubber to begin with).
Old 09-15-22, 10:27 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
https://stagescycling.com/en_us/product/sale
Watch Stages "sale" section. That is where they dump over stock, old stock, and blemished units and some really good deals pop up on there at times. I scored a 5800 left side crank arm PM for $200 last year.
Likes For Canker:
Old 09-16-22, 05:25 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3251 Post(s)
Liked 2,075 Times in 975 Posts
I have Vectors. Garmin doesn't sell replacement cleats, so I use the Look ones. That's very cool you guys have the option! I didn't know anybody did that. 🙂
Yes they do, I just bought a set from Excel
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 09-16-22, 09:17 AM
kyle13

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

If it weren't for an old foot injury, and lacking confidence that I'm applying pressure even, I would most likely go with SS to start.

Originally Posted by goingup
Have you confirmed compatibility of your crank with the Power2max option?

I can tell you that I recently purchased a 4iii power meter from Europe for a significant discount from US pricing due to the favorable exchange rate. If you are willing to wait for international shipping, that may be an option to explore.
Yeah, it's the only spider PM that I'm confident is compatible with what I have (Praxis Alba M30 direct mount 5 x 110 BCD)

I've looked into 4iiii, but haven't seen anything that looks compatible.

Originally Posted by Iride01
However since you are a beginner, I might suggest you wait and be sure you are going to be cycling still next year. And also that you aren't just still doing casual rides as those don't seem to me as needing a PM. Also, you'll need a good cyclometer to go with it and HR info as well to make decent assessments of what you are doing. So have you already gotten a good GPS cyclometer with HR that is also able to fully use PM data?
A very fair suggestion. It's possible that the magic wears off over the winter, but I doubt it will. My rides, unless with my wife, aren't really casual, and are more objective-based. I've been using an older Garmin Forerunner 230 and HRM for tracking my rides; I'll be upgrading my watch as well, as this one doesn't have support for PMs.

Originally Posted by tempocyclist
Personally, my advice would be to NOT buy a powermeter. Not yet at least. Get a lot more miles in your legs first and get a feel for the effort required, then revisit this when you've put several thousand miles on it.
Another fair suggestion. But I'm a stats and data junky, and I can't help myself.
Likes For kyle13:
Old 09-16-22, 10:15 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,384 Times in 708 Posts

i feel like the DS is key to understand what your true output is, since you have no way of really knowing how balanced you are otherwise. and then once you know, it doesn’t seem to matter, or at least for me it has not changed at all.

but my balance is 45/55, which means a left side measurement doubled is 10% low.
Likes For mschwett:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.