Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Over lubricated free wheel

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-22, 09:16 PM
Random_bike_guy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Good evening all. New to the forum, just finished building a early 80s road bike, my first attempt at doing so. I am in the process of working through a few issues, but a new one is I was concerned that I did not lubricate my free wheel enough, so I added a bit more. It’s what I guess is medium weight, Phil’s tenacious oil. Now I am noticing that it is no longer making that “ratcheting” sound. Did some research, my guess is the mechanism is “churning through it.” It’s also a little harder to pedal, which supports this theory. Will it seep out and fix itself, or do in need to flush it with wd40 or other solvent, and re-add the appropriate amount of lubricant? What even is the appropriate amount. This is going to be a lot of trial and error. Thank you
Old 09-18-22, 09:47 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
The rule of thumb I’ve used is to run oil through the freewheel body until it quiets down.

That said, there’s no hub bearings in a freewheel so there is no effect on pedaling whatsoever. As long as the pawls engage the wheel turns.

John

Edit added: If the pawls don’t engage, then you should soak the freewheel body in solvent until the pawls ratchet, let dry, and lube. It is possible for the original grease to have hardened over the years and the solvent should break it down.

I wouldn’t use WD-40.

Last edited by 70sSanO; 09-18-22 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-19-22, 06:47 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3490 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,766 Posts
Yeah, if your bikes is harder to pedal, it's not because of anything you did to the freewheel. The freewheel has nothing to do with pedaling effort (other than providing different gears).

I'd love it if mine was silent!
Likes For smd4:
Old 09-19-22, 09:10 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Obviously should be posted in 'bicycle mechanics' not in GD.
Old 09-19-22, 09:33 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Obviously should be posted in 'bicycle mechanics' not in GD.
Do you post the same in GD threads asking about road bikes, ebikes, mtbs, gravel bikes, electronics, etc?
That would be exhausting...obviously.
Old 09-19-22, 09:36 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Originally Posted by Random_bike_guy
so I added a bit more. It’s what I guess is medium weight, Phil’s tenacious oil. Now I am noticing that it is no longer making that “ratcheting” sound. Did some research, my guess is the mechanism is “churning through it.”
So you want it to make noise, you're one of those! I and others would like for them to all be silent.

There is no need to oil your free hub or freewheel other than to keep enough very light lube on it to prevent corrosion. IMO. The free hub only does anything when you are coasting. So unless you ride downhill all the time and coast, there isn't much opportunity for wear.

Lube will make noisy free hubs and freewheels quieter than they were if used in excess.
It’s also a little harder to pedal, which supports this theory. Will it seep out and fix itself, or do in need to flush it with wd40 or other solvent, and re-add the appropriate amount of lubricant? What even is the appropriate amount. This is going to be a lot of trial and error. Thank you
If you find it harder to pedal, then what else did you do? Did you take it apart and put something back wrong or adjusted the bearings too tight? Again, free hubs and freewheels only work when coasting. So any affect on pedaling is because of something else. Though very possibly close by and due to things you may have done to get the lube in the free hub or freewheel.

Now if you waited till this thing was completely gunked up and rusted from age and then tried lubricating to free it up, then there is no telling what might be going on. Most of the time, that's worked well for me with rusted up freewheels to just spray them with light lubes and solvents or even WD-40. But I wasn't at all worried if the made no noise afterward as long as they allowed me to pedal the bike forward. Coasting is not a big concern!