Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Crikey! I need a Trikey!

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Crikey! I need a Trikey!

Old 09-05-22, 03:40 PM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Crikey! I need a Trikey!

Was thinking o' goin' down that path many moons ago, when defective eyesight was doing my head in. I was seeing stuff that wasn't there, and not seeing stuff that was. A confirmed hyper-Myopic (minus 23), lens replacement surgery fixed that nicely.
For a few years. My balance now seems compromised, and on a decent two wheeler I and everybody else arond me is vulnerable!
I've had several crashes, fortunately not all my fault, but many very scary indeed which is why I spend time at the gym.
I've never yet crashed a gym bike, and you don't have to pump up the tyres.
But I really enjoy being out and about on my roadie, usually along safe-ish cycle tracks and roads local to me.
There's a dearth of 3-wheelers around. Not much choice. and I'm left wondering what anyone here, who's had experience of such, actuall thinks of them.
I'm not talking of recliners but old fashioned trikes.
Shopper trikes are reasonably priced, but anything else based on a trad racing frame and wheels look so unwieldy, and are hard to come by.
Thoughts?
Old 09-05-22, 04:34 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I saw an advertisement for an e assist trike. There you go.
Old 09-06-22, 08:30 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Without even being specific you have pointed out one of the problems with the standard granny trike. You aren't going to find a lightweight racing version of the regular adult trike because of the handling characteristics. Nobody in their right mind is going to design a high-seating racing trike because of the high center of gravity that makes them prone to tipping when you make a fast turn. Trikes show up frequently on my local CL. There are two advertised today - one a $2K electric assist trike and the other a standard Schwinn offered by a dealer for around $500. You can expect the Schwinn to probably weigh 75 pounds and even with 7 speeds it would be a bear to pedal up a good sized hill. The electric one says, "purchased in 2020 and used only a couple of times". Wonder why?
Likes For VegasTriker:
Old 09-06-22, 09:42 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
maybe consider recumbent trikes. those look cool!
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 09-06-22, 09:46 AM
peterws

Riding along the Promenade in my home time today, I was surprised and shocked to discover the extent of camber on it!
Sounds like a barrel o' laughs coming up . . . .
Likes For peterws:
Old 09-07-22, 06:38 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
Shops should rent recumbent trikes for people to try. Bad arthritis days have driven me to a recumbent trike and I now ride it on good days as well. Check out this thread over on the Recumbent Forum:

The most under rated thing about bents and trikes

Likes For easyupbug:
Old 09-07-22, 07:09 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 819 Posts
Most adult trikes get it wrong, with two wheels in back and one in front. Two in front and one in back is a far more stable configuration, and it avoids the problem of either driving one rear wheel only (inherently flawed, but very common design) or adding a differential or pseudodifferential (dual freewheeling setup, which unfortunately applies torque to the inside wheel). The Tadpole looks like the best 3-wheeler out there.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E:
Old 09-07-22, 08:21 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by peterws
I'm not talking of recliners but old fashioned trikes.
If by "recliners" you mean recumbent trikes, you may want to rethink that. Everything I know about traditional upright adult tricycles suggests that they are unstable when cornering, and that if you're already concerned about balance and handling this would just open up additional uncertainties.

'bent trikes -- especially the "tadpole" type with two wheels up front -- are much more stable, especially if your idea of Recreational Cycling involves anything over ~13 mph.
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 09-07-22, 08:40 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
'bent trikes -- especially the "tadpole" type with two wheels up front -- are much more stable, especially if your idea of Recreational Cycling involves anything over ~13 mph.
maybe by time I'm ready, there will be an electric, fat-tire version! yeeha!

EDIT the future is here!
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 09-07-22, 10:55 AM
peterws

I decided against it. The thing I'd seen on ebay was quite a handsome beast, a Ridgeway with not one but two baskets! All for £137, and in Blackpool, not far from me.. I'd've gone up to 200 max for that. Here it is!

The recumbant is not an option. But as one might say, don't knock it 'till you've tried it . . . .I'd need a flag for that, too! More expense . . .
Old 09-07-22, 11:30 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
Two in front and one in back is a far more stable configuration, and it avoids the problem of either driving one rear wheel only...

That may well need an explanation!!!!
Old 09-07-22, 11:53 AM
CliffordK

I decided against it. The thing I'd seen on ebay was quite a handsome beast, a Ridgeway with not one but two baskets! All for £137, and in Blackpool, not far from me.. I'd've gone up to 200 max for that. Here it is!

The recumbant is not an option. But as one might say, don't knock it 'till you've tried it . . . .I'd need a flag for that, too! More expense . . .
Now that bicycle has the most unique handlebars I've ever seen!!!

Most of the cheaper upright trikes are single speed, or sometimes three speed. Although they could support full shifting.

Most of the recumbents are multi-speed.

Try it out. And, you can always trade up later if you choose something different.

Watch the used market. Used tadpoles and deltas pop up from time to time around here.

But, a good upright trike will also give you some experience with whether that is a practical choice at all.

Edit:
Looking at that closer, and it may well have a rear derailleur, so some shifting.

The bike is very similar to this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Tricycle-6-Sp...0893DJGGY?th=1

However, it is odd... as if someone intentionally tried to erase some of the measurements in red.

Look at the ad carefully to see that it doesn't just have swiped photos in it.

Last edited by CliffordK; 09-07-22 at 12:06 PM.
Old 09-07-22, 12:41 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Here on the other side of the pond they sell the Ridgeway trike brand new on Amazon for US$249 It weighs 27 kg (60 lbs) and has 7 speeds. The listing I looked at was this one https://www.amazon.com/Ridgeyard-7-S...083VWNH2Z?th=1. Definitely not my cup of tea. It is obvious that the picture in an earlier post shows a trike where nobody tightened the handlebars before taking the picture. The handlebars are in the same direction as the front wheel and you could never ride a trike that way.

Not all delta trikes are trash. Although I only have ridden tadpole trikes (2 wheels in front) I have friends who own some very expensive and exceptionally good delta trikes made by HP Velotechnic. You don't get too many customers willing to pay several thousand dollars each for junk. They have ridden theirs many thousands of miles.
Old 09-07-22, 12:45 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 307 Times in 198 Posts
I hope you reconsider the recumbent trike. ICE trikes are a UK product and I like mine very much. Like you, I was advised to go to three wheels because of the crash danger of two wheels.

I'm sad to get rid of my two wheeled fleet, but at least I'm still pedaling.
Old 09-07-22, 07:49 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
By all means get a tadpole trike. More than 10 years ago when I was ready to buy a trike for my wife to use, I tried a delta trike. On an off camber turn, it just didnt feel right. A few minutes later another guy tried it and rolled it on the off camber turn, and got really bad road rash.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 09-08-22, 07:07 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Originally Posted by CliffordK

That may well need an explanation!!!!
My experience is the same as John E. A lot is written about this but it has to do with cornering forces opposite the direction of a turn being better counteracted with two up front. If you want details places like the Catrike web site and others probably have write ups.
Old 09-08-22, 11:15 AM
peterws

Funny isn't it, what you think about. I loved my trike as a kid. proper bike, proper brake, rod type. Went funny on the bends and only frove one wheel, so I could go round right hand bends quicker than left handers, because the wheel always left the pavement.
It was welded several times, and i was distraught without it.

I could never ride a recumbant trike on the road. No, Nay, Never! I won't be a wild rover on one o' those abominations! And what flag would I fly? Jolly Roger? Looks like a chainsaw coming towards you. And a front end collision requires a fender to make it safe, and look nicer for peds.
I have however, seen many 2 wheeled versions. With flags, with mirrors, with things that stick out to deter cars from getting too close. Brave guys!
Old 09-08-22, 11:38 AM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 492 Times in 153 Posts

as the owner of three of these for my handicap son, I would not recommend them for any real riding. They tip over on any kind of turn. I always walked next to my son as he was riding his trike bike, just to be sure. I think they're dangerous.
Likes For gobicycling:
Old 09-08-22, 12:03 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
I have been looking at the Icetrikes configuration. I know my arthritis and proprioception are slowly getting worse. I am not a fan of recliner bikes as when I tried them out years ago I did not do well. But if its what I have to do to keep ridding then bring it on...

https://www.icetrikes.co/
Old 09-08-22, 01:46 PM
peterws

I looked st the same site. They cost thousands! Dollars, pounds, euros whatever. But I saw one on ebay, a "Sprint" model, looking great for £900 Buy it now which sounded like a great price.

Old 09-08-22, 01:56 PM
VegasTriker

You can count out any recumbent trike if your budget is 200 British pounds. There are three ICE trikes listed on my local Craigslist. https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/bik/...519525125.html so you can get an idea of what used ICE trikes sell for here in the US, I can't find any information on the Sprint 2 or 3 at my usual sources. There is no information on the ages. Looking at the pictures I see they are labeled "GOVPlanet". One of the three sold at GOVPlanet in August for $700 and the picture matches. That's a pretty hefty markup but the seller is finding not a lot of interest right now. Notice the interesting spelling of the name of your home country. . It is very rare to see any better quality used trike for under US$1,000.

The one shown might be a Sprint 1 which is the entry level model for Sprint models. See here https://bicycleman.com/ice-sprint-recumbent-trike/. If the trike has drum brakes like the one shown, that is also a sign of it costing less. Some people like drum brakes but most trike riders opt for disc brakes.

Last edited by VegasTriker; 09-08-22 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09-08-22, 02:57 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by easyupbug
My experience is the same as John E. A lot is written about this but it has to do with cornering forces opposite the direction of a turn being better counteracted with two up front. If you want details places like the Catrike web site and others probably have write ups.
How many drive wheels does a tadpole trike have?
Old 09-08-22, 03:15 PM
CliffordK

Looking local-ish. There are quite a few tadpole trikes for around $1000.

Several are TerraTrikes of different models.
https://medford.craigslist.org/bik/d...512436387.html
https://olympic.craigslist.org/bik/d...524195628.html
https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/b...526988858.html
https://olympic.craigslist.org/bik/d...528095826.html
https://medford.craigslist.org/bik/d...529034259.html
https://bellingham.craigslist.org/bi...529804667.html

Lots of variation. Not necessarily the Cadillac (Bentley in the UK) on a budget.

Ideally, if you can find one you like within a hundred miles or so, you can go try it out.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 09-08-22, 03:47 PM
peterws

What a choice you guys have! Y'know, the more I look at these, the more I like their sleek lines, and particularly a smaller rear wheel. . . .
Simple question.
Are they are quick as a road bike?
Old 09-09-22, 06:44 AM
easyupbug 

I have a Catrike Expedition which would be considered not a slow trike maybe average or better, aerodynamics seating position, faster rolling 26" drive wheel and higher gearing, and the results vary significantly with terrain. My usual 20+ mile ride I average about 10 MPH with the time being affected by it being 15# heavier than my road bikes, less than 20# to over 30#, where it cuts my hill climbing speed in half.
Likes For easyupbug:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.