Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

fantasy vuelta 2020 + general vuelta discussion!

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-20, 12:50 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts

it's vuelta a españa time! fave gt of the year and fingers crossed they'll get the whole enchilada in. there will be a little bit of giro overlap at the onset.
it's usually a climbfest and this year looks to be particularly full of vertical smackdown. race slightly truncated...there are only 18 stages vs the usual 21.

https://www.velogames.com/

league name: bike forums

league code: if you've participated before, your team should be automatically entered. if not, try code 907776411

deadline to enter is 13:00 cest (central european summer time) on tuesday, october 20th.

there is also the pcs game slcbob intoduced during the giro and there are two variations:
1. "pcs gc"-where you pick the general classifiction before the vuelta starts...a maximum of 5 riders, and assign them 9 stars/point multipliers distributed
amongst your riders (no rider can have more than 5 stars). not 100% sure but i don't believe you can change the gc riders or their stars/point multipliers
once the race starts. if you can, have at it. whomever has the most points/highest ranking at the end wins

2. another-"pcs stage rage"-where you again pick a max of five riders (you can pick two if you're convinced two riders will finish one-two) and assign stars (again a maximum of 9 stars to award)
but you do it for each stage. all the stages are listed so you can do the picks daily before the deadline, do a few in advance or do all 18 stages in advance for giggles.
with crashes, abandonments, 2020 giggles, etc...you probably wouldn't want to do more than 2-3 stages ahead. there is a handy chart to check your stage by stage progress or lack thereof.
whomever has the most points/highest ranking at the end wins. then there are those bragging rights for nailing your stage picks that day...

the site takes some getting used to but it is chock full of info and handy/dandy once you get the swing of it

https://www.procyclingstats.com/game.php

https://www.procyclingstats.com/game/rules

league name: bike forums. slcbob is the mayor and will have to approve your inclusion into the league (some breathless moments potentially there).
to join our little league in PCS is to create a login then go here https://www.procyclingstats.com/league.php?id=1498 and request to join.

in case of race cancellation, the winners will be the team in the lead after the last points are awarded/the vuelta game ceases for 2020.

i'll do rest day and final updates and post for all three games/vehicles.

5]

grainbrain posted this in last year's vuelta thread. both appalled/repelled by it but it seems to channel the 2020 vibe...

Last edited by diphthong; 10-18-20 at 03:02 AM.
Old 10-16-20, 03:42 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 453 Posts
Is that what that darn "gc" thing was all about in PCSville? Oh well. I probably would have picked Thomas and Yates there, too, so it's just as well.

I will approve all comers just not sure when it will yell at me to do so, so be sure to pick even if your request is pending.

Brace yourselves for ooga-booga's favorite GT of the year, even it is un pocito menos Grande este tiempo with its Tuesday start. Not sure if he's going to roll on on a league high or pull a Roglic in the high mountains, but it's a whole new race come Tuesday. From where I sit -- thank God!

Hasta....
Old 10-17-20, 12:47 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

how ya like that first stage? ain't no flattish 8.3 km tt east side toodle-loo...

Last edited by diphthong; 10-17-20 at 01:04 AM.
Old 10-17-20, 01:00 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by slcbob
Is that what that darn "gc" thing was all about in PCSville? Oh well. I probably would have picked Thomas and Yates there, too, so it's just as well.

I will approve all comers just not sure when it will yell at me to do so, so be sure to pick even if your request is pending.

Brace yourselves for ooga-booga's favorite GT of the year, even it is un pocito menos Grande este tiempo with its Tuesday start. Not sure if he's going to roll on on a league high or pull a Roglic in the high mountains, but it's a whole new race come Tuesday. From where I sit -- thank God!

Hasta....
i have a dream...i forsee a rider of immeasurable talent, capable of merckxian exploits just often enough to titilate but more likely to internet dial-up vestiges and memories of messrs menchov, cuddles,
talansky, pinot, yatesie (either), bertie the last two years, rasmussen during tt's, lopez dropping himself and schleck chaingate. in other words...all or nothing but spectacular, hc nothing. like missing your tt starting time
or pulling a bungle in the jungel bojangles vs higuita but taking out like 10 riders and shrugging it off. this could be the time and the year. ¿como no?
Old 10-17-20, 04:40 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

^ I was talking briefly there about how it ends for your team of huskies in the Giro, sorry for losing my temporal references. No doubt la Vuelta will be all of that angst and splendor you encapsulated.

Short of sending email invites, the easiest way to join our little league in PCS is to create a login then go here https://www.procyclingstats.com/league.php?id=1498 and request to join. I'll need to approve, will look to see if I can delegate that more.

Perhaps copy that to the first post?

Join and approve is easier than fiddling with email invites. It's all we've got. There's no option to send out a code or accept automatically.

The daily picks are super easy. Pick any 2-5 riders, no budget constraints, assign up to 9 stars. Points for top 10 on stage, multiplied by stars. No points for jerseys,prop bets, etc. I have truly mastered the picking process in a few heartbeats. I am flailing miserably on the who-to-pick dimension. Out of 100 points possible on a stage, in recent days I've had a goose egg and three single digit results, almost always below the day's average score.

Old 10-17-20, 04:53 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Last post flogging the PCS supplement, and to be PERFECTLY clear: ¡Viva Velogames!.

Here's my stage 12 horrible pick results. The little info-bar shows you how you fare. It is not Lake Wobegon for me. I have seen ooge-booga's name in lights a few times on the shining stars roster. I am listed with the coal miners.

Old 10-18-20, 02:59 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

a note to those impetuous enuff to try either pcs game...riders that are no longer in the race will show up and be available to "pick." the game
doesn't cull abandons, crashouts, etc...example... geraint thomas and alexandre vlasov and miguel angel lopez all still available to choose
for stage wins here near the onset on the third act of the giro...and they've all been gone a while.
Old 10-18-20, 03:02 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by slcbob
^ I was talking briefly there about how it ends for your team of huskies in the Giro, sorry for losing my temporal references. No doubt la Vuelta will be all of that angst and splendor you encapsulated.

Short of sending email invites, the easiest way to join our little league in PCS is to create a login then go here https://www.procyclingstats.com/league.php?id=1498 and request to join. I'll need to approve, will look to see if I can delegate that more.

Perhaps copy that to the first post?

Join and approve is easier than fiddling with email invites. It's all we've got. There's no option to send out a code or accept automatically.

The daily picks are super easy. Pick any 2-5 riders, no budget constraints, assign up to 9 stars. Points for top 10 on stage, multiplied by stars. No points for jerseys,prop bets, etc. I have truly mastered the picking process in a few heartbeats. I am flailing miserably on the who-to-pick dimension. Out of 100 points possible on a stage, in recent days I've had a goose egg and three single digit results, almost always below the day's average score.

done.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 10-19-20, 08:55 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 628 Times in 472 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga

grainbrain posted this in last year's vuelta thread. both appalled/repelled by it but it seems to channel the 2020 vibe...
Bwa ha ha yes I remember that now! Uran buried under a pile of riders on the side of a mountain. He had a great recovery though! A lot of last year's Vuelta helped frame this year's TdF, Pogacar's GT introduction. Sepp Kuss chugging a beer after his stage win. Roglic winning his first grand tour.

I'm hopeful for my team, though I have put Woodsie in - with any luck he'll stay upright. I think I have a good mix, and the pricing seems set for a good mix of different teams. I skipped on Roglic though I bet he does well, not making the mistake of putting all my eggs in one basket!
Old 10-19-20, 11:39 AM
Caretaker
Heretic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2827 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 429 Posts
Stage 6 next Sunday looks good, Col d'Aubisque then finishing at the top of the Col du Tourmalet.
Old 10-19-20, 12:57 PM
GrainBrain

Originally Posted by Caretaker
Stage 6 next Sunday looks good, Col d'Aubisque then finishing at the top of the Col du Tourmalet.
Stage 5? Either way I just looked at the first week and am now removing a high priced and equally highly regarded Irish sprinter in favor of some high altitude men.

Edited to say am now literally just cycling thru different options and second guesses. Keep staring at Woodsie...

Last edited by GrainBrain; 10-19-20 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-19-20, 02:16 PM
Caretaker
Heretic

Originally Posted by GrainBrain
Stage 5?
Tues 1, Weds 2, Thurs 3, Friday 4, Sat 5, Sun 6

vuelta-a-espana 2020 stage 06 profile

Last edited by Caretaker; 10-19-20 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-19-20, 02:42 PM
GrainBrain

Tues 1, Weds 2, Thurs 3, Friday 4, Sat 5, Sun 6

vuelta-a-espana 2020 stage 06 profile

You're correct I see that I have to be careful reading from some illicit blogs!
Old 10-19-20, 04:40 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by GrainBrain
You're correct I see that I have to be careful reading from some illicit blogs!
but but those are the best!
Old 10-19-20, 05:09 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Have the squad selected. I broke one of my rules. Wouldn't be surprised if several of us have 6+ of the same riders. lol
Old 10-19-20, 09:46 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by USAZorro
Have the squad selected. I broke one of my rules. Wouldn't be surprised if several of us have 6+ of the same riders. lol
if there was ever a year to break a personal hard and fast rule...

i think in all the years doing this, there have been many times where teams had 5 similar riders but only once or twice with 6 similar riders. haven't seen more than 6.
3-4 is pretty common. rarely see someone (in a league with 6+ participants) with zero overlap.
Old 10-20-20, 12:28 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Phew. Just entered. Almost missed this one. Duh.

I almost went with Mas and Soler but couldn't bring myself to embrace the suck that Movistar has been this year. Movistar should get a lift from me. The grand old man and the young guns deserve it and I wish them well. As long as none of the rest of you picked them.

Interesting parcours this year.
Old 10-20-20, 07:55 AM
GrainBrain

Of course Martinez has already crashed, lucky for me a few of us picked him so we're all in this together! Seems to be quite the differences between all of our teams though for the most part.
Old 10-20-20, 10:18 AM
Caretaker
Heretic

That was a great Stage 1.

Redemption for Roglic ?
Old 10-20-20, 10:59 AM
GrainBrain

That was a great Stage 1.

Redemption for Roglic ?
Yes I was weak in faith that he wouldn't match last years performance after the tour and his classics racing.

Dude how awesome is Dan Martin right now!?

Instant regrets: Pulling out carapaz, not believing in Roglic, thinking that either Woodsie or Martinez would be able to stay upright. Vivá la Vuelta!
Old 10-20-20, 11:17 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

from the response in the giro thread:

a gt stage-race disclaimer (starting with this 2020 vuelta) that teams have to be entered into the league before the start of stage #4. plenty of time to add the team if you actually spaced on it vs ambushing the league at the end or elsewhere.
Old 10-20-20, 11:20 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

yah...nice start to the race. no piddly little 7.9km skinsuit-wearing, flattish parcours dodging road furniture by yourself.

this truncated version of the vuelta is going to be brutal
Likes For diphthong:
Old 10-20-20, 11:31 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

opted to dial down the sprinter choice given the lack of opportunities in the race.
for climbers, came down to a choice of dani martinez/formolo vs woods/de la cruz for me. opted for the former, primarily because of the angliru.

not taking rogliç (or kuss) meant i could slide another decent climber onto the roster. looks they picked right back up from where they left off tho. i’ll need to cajole 1000 points + out of formolo to make that horrible decision less of an impact. early analysis: not likely.
Old 10-20-20, 12:15 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

My wife asked me who was on my team. I said I went with Dumo as my main guy. Her reply: "he's such a nice lad, why did you do that to him?"
Likes For slcbob:
Old 10-20-20, 12:38 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
I see nobody had faith in Froome. Have to wonder if this is his last hurrah before retiring.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.