Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

True Confessions Time.. Ever Ride Blotto?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

True Confessions Time.. Ever Ride Blotto?

Old 01-11-21, 07:14 PM
JackieYan

Bikes: Merida Big Seven

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by BHG6
So many times I can't even count. I grew up in Sweden and with gas being $10/gallon, bicycles were our main form of transportation. We drank like fish and rode everywhere - never had a problem. Never crashed, never hit anyone, and was never run over by a car. There were bicycle paths everywhere and there was little to no need to venture out in traffic. Than again, it was the 80's and we didn't feel the need to wrap ourselves in cotton batting and bubble wrap just to walk to the mail box....
I live in Thailand where drink driving and also obeying the law is a big problem.
Some people here go out on a bicycle specifically to get drunk and avoid the police, rather than driving or motorcycling. (You only ever see the police at an accident scene, there are no proactive patrols).
In the end about four years ago, the police introduced a new law covering cycling while drunk. A 500 Baht fine (about US$17)
It's the only law I have ever heard about regarding cycling here in Thailand. Normally the police ignore cyclists completely.
Old 01-13-21, 08:55 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
I would have thought that was an obvious joke, about wild Mennonites. Anyway, what quote are you referring to?
Political pundit James Clavell once said something like "Pennsylvania is Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Alabama in between." That resulted in the term Pennsyltucky, although some say Pennsylbama. Having toured across PA several times, either is appropriate.
Old 01-13-21, 09:17 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Political pundit James Clavell once said something like "Pennsylvania is Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Alabama in between." That resulted in the term Pennsyltucky, although some say Pennsylbama. Having toured across PA several times, either is appropriate.
Ah. Carville, perhaps?
Likes For chaadster:
Old 01-13-21, 09:27 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Ah. Carville, perhaps?
Yeah. That's the guy.
Old 01-13-21, 06:08 PM
bradybunch84

Bikes: Trek Verve 1. Also Lectric XPremium

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Back in the 80's I worked 2nd shift. I rode my bike to work. On nice night we would drink quite a bit before we split to go home. Sometimes I was pretty wasted. I never realized it until now, just how tired I was when I finally got home on those nights. I had to read a bunch of responses from other riders to realize that the beer was making my rides so hard. Clueless. I haven't drank anything since April 16, 1989. Beer was destroying my life. I feel so much better now. Always rode my bike, while I was drinking and then after my drinking days. Riding the bicycle got a lot easier. When I was drinking and riding my bicycle, I got stopped by the Topeka police for running a red light. They put me in time out and made me sit on the curb for 30 minutes as punishment. I kid you not. I didn't argue with them. Then they let me go on my way and I started stopping for those red lights after that.
Likes For bradybunch84:
Old 01-16-21, 10:02 PM
ririder

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced 2, Giant Talon , Specialized Sequoia, Fuji Crosstown

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 32 Posts
Guilty. 20 years old living in Newport RI early 80's. Summers in Newport were one big non stop party. I rode my bike everywhere since summer traffic is horrendous in Newport. Out one night and I got ripped. Riding back to the house I was living in at the time I was moving at a pretty good clip when I crashed into a parked car on my Schwinn Varsity. Front wheel was ruined and I got banged up pretty good but came away quite lucky considering that I wasn't wearing a helmet and didn't get hit by a car since I apparently lay sprawled in the road for a few minutes.
I liked alcohol too much and it didn't like me. I did some stupid **** when I got drunk. Sober 33 years now.