Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Worthwhile replacing first gen Shimano R785 brake levers with newer Di2?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 02-21-21, 01:51 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts

My BH G7 game with Shimano R785 Di2 hydraulic brakes. Brakes/levers work great. No issues there.

My guess to the group is I've been told the hydraulic brakes are Shimano first gen tech. The new Di2 levers come with buttons on the top that allow you to change the screens on your Garmin, amongst other things. I've also been told that the new Di2 brake levers are easier to service/bleed.

So. My question is, should I upgrade my levers? Right now bike parts are crazy expensive and hard to find - thank you covid - so maybe now isn't the best time to be making changes to my bike. Then again, changing the levers simply to get the newer tech seems kind of wasteful.

Anyone have any thoughts/experience with upgrading their Di2 levers? Thank you.
Old 02-21-21, 02:07 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
I have r785. I ain't changing them. There's lots of things I can do with $800USD that improve my life more. Also, as you point to, you cannot buy them now or probably for the rest of the year anyway.

TBH, after 11spd--Di2 or not--I'd rather go IGH like Rohloff anyway.
Old 02-21-21, 02:19 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I picked up a second set of R785 hydro Di2 levers for $200 at Universal Cycle. I thought if I smash mine up I would have a spare. The urge to build up a bike around them is overpowering. I would be surprised if the newer ones were substantially better.
Old 02-22-21, 10:07 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
"Upgrade"? I wouldn't qualify changing out R785's as an upgrade. They were a great lever and absolutely not worth swapping out if they are working. Remember they were made for a time when there was no hydraulic option so even though they are without series they were spec'd for Dura Ace level builds.

I do like the ergonomics of the current hoods and there are some minor improvements to the hydraulics (changing the hose over to something more solid BH-59(?) and a better bleed system with the riser for the cup, etc) but otherwise they're the bee's knees.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 02-22-21, 12:00 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
"Upgrade"? I wouldn't qualify changing out R785's as an upgrade. They were a great lever and absolutely not worth swapping out if they are working. Remember they were made for a time when there was no hydraulic option so even though they are without series they were spec'd for Dura Ace level builds..
I did not know that. I got my bike (custom) in 2014 and was absolutely insistent on getting hydraulic brakes (after a nasty ankle fracture) and they were the only option, so I got Di2 as well (which I do not regret). I just assumed they were Ultegra, since they came with Di2 Ultegra derailleurs. But the box doesn't specify, consistent with what you say:

Does that mean they have the Dura Ace "secret button"?
Old 02-22-21, 12:30 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
They didn't make a Dura-Ace lever with hydraulic at that point. This is why it was a "non-series" lever and carried a number. 7 series numbers typically are an "Ultegra and Dura Ace" level number.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 02-22-21, 12:31 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
The new Di2 levers come with buttons on the top that allow you to change the screens on your Garmin, amongst other things. I've also been told that the new Di2 brake levers are easier to service/bleed.
If your current levers function well for you then you only need to ask how much the extra buttons and easier servicing is worth to you. I wouldn't unless I was getting a new bike.
Old 02-22-21, 01:55 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Kinda of inline with my way of thinking Iride01 But I thought I'd see what others thought too.
Old 02-22-21, 04:11 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
I have a set on my bike and would like to swap them, but only because I prefer the ergonomics and aesthetics of the new levers.
However these preferences do not out weigh the crazy price of the new levers so I am sticking with the 785's.