Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Ceramic BB?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-21, 08:32 AM
Cassopher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Ceramic BB?

I am on an SL7 with a GXP BB as I have a SRAM crankset. A buddy of mine said I should consider going ceramic and insists I look into ceramicspeed or Kogel. Is there any value in spending hundreds of dollars on a ceramic BB or is just snake oil and marketing to get people to buy another component with very little wattage saved? Thanks for any info!
Old 03-05-21, 08:40 AM
Steelman54 

Bikes: Allegro Model 77, Gitane Team Pro SLX, Waterford R2200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 38 Posts
INHO a waste of money. Putting ceramic ball bearings in your bottom bracket will not make you faster or a better rider nor will your races last longer, especially if you never service the BB. I don't know the GXP BB off the top of my head, but guessing it takes standard 1/4" bearings or maybe sealed cartridge bearings. I'd simply service it if it was needed.
Old 03-05-21, 09:07 AM
Melvang

Bikes: Kona Roast, Cannondale R500 CAAD4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 23 Posts
You might save a few watts, but typical usage, they wear out faster. It is because the balls are much harder than the races, so races wear out. I believe it made the GCN list for least cost effective upgrades.
Old 03-05-21, 10:01 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
The single biggest waste of money in the entire industry. Ceramic bearings are great in pure radial loads, clean environments, high heat, and very high (thousands and thousands) rpm applications. None of which happen with a bicycle.
Old 03-05-21, 10:12 AM
Dirk de Chablis

Bikes: A red one, a white one, a white and red one and a silver one

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 25 Posts
If you go ceramic you have to go all in, BB, Hubs and Jockey wheels. I spent 8 weeks test ceramics based on Power, Speed, Heart Rate and timed efforts and over the 8wks I saved 14w over standard bearings so for the likes of MVDP, Alliphilipe and Wout it makes a difference but for the standard weekend warrior, don't have that pizza on Friday with 6 beers will be a better saving.
Old 03-05-21, 11:02 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by Cassopher
I am on an SL7 with a GXP BB as I have a SRAM crankset. A buddy of mine said I should consider going ceramic and insists I look into ceramicspeed or Kogel. Is there any value in spending hundreds of dollars on a ceramic BB or is just snake oil and marketing to get people to buy another component with very little wattage saved? Thanks for any info!
The advantages of ceramic bearings are so tiny in cycling applications that they're basically irrelevant. When you subject a bearing to the loads typically seen on a bicycle, the effects of ball and race material are so small compared with the effects of seals and lubrication that - even in a very high precision lab setting - very careful testing is required to determine the effects of ceramics versus other factors.

For example, in the 2013 Friction Facts bottom bracket study, while the top-performing bottom bracket did use ceramic bearings, it was tested at only .03 watts faster than the top-performing steel bottom bracket in the test. If you're riding along the flats at 20mph, .03 watts is literally only going to improve your speed by one or two thousandths of a mph.

Another thing you might notice in that study is that even the slowest bottom bracket, an extremely beefy setup that uses rollers instead of balls for the bearings, performed within 2W of the fastest bottom bracket. So this is an area where there usually just isn't much room for improvement in the first place.

Are there any particular behavioral issues with your bottom bracket that led to the question being asked?
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 03-05-21, 12:31 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
when it comes to bottom bracket drag, the biggest drag is due to the (micro) misalighment of the two holes of the bb shell. This misalighment is due to the loose tolerance of the bicycle industry.
Old 03-05-21, 12:41 PM
joeruge

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 41 Posts
You will cut a lot of grams off your rolling weight, but that will mostly be because your wallet is lighter!
Likes For joeruge:
Old 03-05-21, 08:16 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
better off going with needle bearings in a BB.
Old 03-06-21, 09:39 AM
Melvang

Bikes: Kona Roast, Cannondale R500 CAAD4

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by aclinjury
when it comes to bottom bracket drag, the biggest drag is due to the (micro) misalighment of the two holes of the bb shell. This misalighment is due to the loose tolerance of the bicycle industry.
And if memory is correct, the second biggest source of drag is grease shear.
Old 03-06-21, 10:00 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
The grease will cause more drag than you save. Not even talking about real-world dirt.
Old 03-06-21, 06:22 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Melvang
And if memory is correct, the second biggest source of drag is grease shear.
yep, grease and seals

For track bikes where they're used indoor, they don't even use seals and only a very light oil for lubricant.

For road bikes, and i use bearings with non-contact seals and a very light llubicant. But this means I can't get to use my bikes in wet and dirty condition, which I don't.
Old 03-06-21, 06:25 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Nope.
Old 03-06-21, 09:09 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Multiple studies showing difference from modest steel normal bearing to best ceramic BB is under a watt. Maybe under a half watt. Google it.
Old 03-07-21, 07:29 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Once you exceed about 15 MPH aero drag exceeds everything else all other drag sources combined. As your speed increases beyond 15 MPH the difference becomes progressively greater. If your objective is to ride significantly faster you need to work on your aero position on the bicycle and, of course, the motor.
Old 03-08-21, 06:51 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
save the cash...unless you are a monster sprint master gunning for a world record attempt at some land speed record.
​​if not. buy the regular replacement buy new shoes. more bling.
Old 03-08-21, 06:55 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
It will reduce your overall weight because your wallet will be significantly lighter. Otherwise, no.
Old 03-08-21, 08:11 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Buying ceramic bearings for a bicycle is one of the most efficient means of getting rid of excess cash. Exceeded, perhaps, but contributing to a political campaign.

You'll never notice a change while riding, but you can become the blowhard at post-ride gatherings bragging about fractions of a watt savings because of your bearings!
Old 03-08-21, 08:42 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Buying ceramic bearings for a bicycle is one of the most efficient means of getting rid of excess cash. Exceeded, perhaps, but contributing to a political campaign.

You'll never notice a change while riding, but you can become the blowhard at post-ride gatherings bragging about fractions of a watt savings because of your bearings!
+1

OP: send me $100 and I will say I installed ceramic bearings in your bike. You never notice the difference. And if you notice, it is placebo. So we both will be happy.

The alignment, size and roundness of the BB holes in the frame will determine how long the BB lasts, and how easy the bearings roll. So the frame manufacturer already determined 99.99999999% of what your BB can do. Pressing fancy bearings into an ovalized, and non-aligned hole will not make a difference.

Old 03-08-21, 09:00 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by aclinjury
Yup. The bike industry will sell you an insanely overpriced bearing with (claimed) unnecessarily high tolerances for you to run in a sloppy housing that was manufactured the absolute cheapest way possible. The ultra-precise bearing is promptly destroyed in a small fraction of its designed life by a misalignment. Rinse and repeat.
Old 03-08-21, 11:21 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1339 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,454 Posts
I have Ceramic Speed in my BB and like it a lot and it works great.
Old 03-08-21, 02:46 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
I have Ceramic Speed in my BB and like it a lot and it works great.
Do you 'feel' faster because of it?
Old 03-08-21, 03:08 PM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
I recently picked up a CK ceramic bottom bracket for my new MTB. It spins nice, but as many have said I'm not sure I can tell the difference. And for the record I didn't buy it expecting anything special. More of a wait and see approach to its overall value.

What I can tell you is on another bike I have a Wheels Mfg angular contact steel bearing BB. There aren't enough O's in smooth to describe how nice it spins, and it was $100 cheaper too. I can only hope the over-priced and over-hyped ceramic BB can match the performance and longevity of the Wheels BB.
Old 03-08-21, 03:30 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Once you exceed about 15 MPH aero drag exceeds everything else all other drag sources combined. As your speed increases beyond 15 MPH the difference becomes progressively greater. If your objective is to ride significantly faster you need to work on your aero position on the bicycle and, of course, the motor.
Just how aero do you have to be to make up for not having a bottom bracket on your bike?
Old 03-09-21, 11:37 AM
CerveloPro1

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I drank the kool-aid and bought a CS bb. It’s good, but can’t tell any difference from my previous push cup.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.