Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

A tale of two tourers: Trek 520 vs Schwinn Le Tour

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

A tale of two tourers: Trek 520 vs Schwinn Le Tour

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-21, 10:49 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by rustystrings61
Trek’s rise to power helped in large part by their sponsorship of a cheat stripped of 7 Tour titles
Seems to me Trek was pretty much "in power" by the mid 80s, long before anyone knew Lance Armstrong's name.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 08-22-21, 10:57 AM
denaffen

Bikes: Bianchi Nyala, Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi Campione D'Italia, Trek 640, Luxus folding bike, Schwinn Speedster, Bianchi Torino, KHS Aero Sport, probably something else around here somewhere

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 100 Posts
> but I just don't think they're much of an "apples to apples" comparison- not even really an "oranges to tangerines"

You may think that, but liking at them side by side and measuring them, they’re not so far apart. That’s not to say the Trek isn’t better built (it is) or that the Trek doesn’t have much better gearing ( it does). But I’m struck by how comparable the two really seem to be. If you’re disinterested in the comparison, that’s fine.
Old 08-22-21, 11:04 AM
denaffen

Bikes: Bianchi Nyala, Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi Campione D'Italia, Trek 640, Luxus folding bike, Schwinn Speedster, Bianchi Torino, KHS Aero Sport, probably something else around here somewhere

While the Le Tour is in the “paint booth” I was pleasantly surprised to find that the 520's tires still held air. So I wiped off some grime and took it for a little test ride today.

It’s unfair to make judgements on a bike so in need of tune up and adjustments but it wasn’t bad at all.

Last edited by denaffen; 08-23-21 at 08:29 AM.
Old 08-22-21, 11:13 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
I have an '84 Letour Luxe, that I use for touring simply because it has couplers. And it has couplers simply because it was the last bike I still had in the US when I ran out of storage options there. The Suntour Summetric shifters are very nice to use, IMO, especially when they don't snap off as a unit. Mine are coupled with a first gen Cyclone rd. This is a match made in heaven. And an unknown(at the monment)fd. I'd like to put a Suntour Spirt on it, but I don't know if they shift three rings. I guess there is one way to find out.
I usually set up spirts as wide range doubles but they will do a triple. The best value front derailleur ever made. I wish I had a hundred of em.
Old 08-22-21, 11:21 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Poorly staged pic but here it is.
this is an 89 I think. Trutemper and quite light. I dimpled the chain stays a little for 650b clearance and am still working on what rack to use but I must say for an entry level frameset it's excellent.

Last edited by 52telecaster; 08-22-21 at 02:48 PM.
Old 08-22-21, 02:41 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by Pompiere
I've got another one of the Mississippi built Le Tours, a 1988. I keep playing around with different drivetrains. At one point I installed a triple and bar ends to make it more of a touring bike.

1988 Schwinn Le Tour
I generally don't like fade paint jobs, but I like that one.

Likes For seedsbelize:
Old 08-22-21, 02:46 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
I usually set up spirts as wide range doubles but they will do a triple. The best value front derailleur ever made. I wish I had a hundred of em.
I have three or four. Next time I'm coming north I'll be in touch.

Likes For seedsbelize:
Old 08-22-21, 02:48 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

I have three or four. Next time I'm coming north I'll be in touch.
Please and thankyou!
Old 08-22-21, 04:57 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
Not every year. I sold Le Tour Luxes in the '80s and the early ones had centerpulls. Later ones ('86 and later?) had cantilevers.
Here's an early LTL with centerpulls. Cantis came out the year after I stopped working at a Schwinn place.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...21300029847330

Likes For thumpism:
Old 08-23-21, 11:54 AM
denaffen

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
With the fork pointing straight ahead, run a string from the rear dropouts to the front fork ends, then measure the vertical distance from the string to the center of the bottom bracket shell.
As I measure it -- and I acknowledge my measurements may be suspect -- I found a ~6cm drop on the LeTour and slightly more, about 6.5cm on the Trek.

I also measured the wheelbase and came up with ~410 on the Le Tour, and ~415 on the Trek.
Old 08-23-21, 03:15 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by denaffen
As I measure it -- and I acknowledge my measurements may be suspect -- I found a ~6cm drop on the LeTour and slightly more, about 6.5cm on the Trek.
That sounds about right. 5mm is not a huge difference, but in general a lower bottom bracket feels more stable and tracks better, while a higher bottom bracket gives better pedal clearance in cornering.

I also measured the wheelbase and came up with ~410 on the Le Tour, and ~415 on the Trek.
Is that chainstay length in millimeters? Wheelbase should be a little over 1m. Longer chainstays give better heel clearance when using panniers.
Old 08-23-21, 07:57 PM
denaffen

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
That sounds about right. 5mm is not a huge difference, but in general a lower bottom bracket feels more stable and tracks better, while a higher bottom bracket gives better pedal clearance in cornering.

Is that chainstay length in millimeters? Wheelbase should be a little over 1m. Longer chainstays give better heel clearance when using panniers.
that’s overall wheelbase, although I may need to re-measure. I had measured the stays before and they’re about 5mm different, with the 520 being just a smidge longer.
Old 08-23-21, 09:07 PM
niliraga 

Bikes: 1970s Coppi/Fiorelli beater, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1972 Bob Jackson, 1970 Cilo Sprint-X, 1985 Fuji Touring Series IV, 1969 Legnano Roma

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 129 Posts
...i dimly recall the Spirt's mechanics are inverted - the spring 'relaxes' the cage onto the big ring.

if that's correct, surely the Symmetric shifter auto-trim function will send the FD in the wrong direction?

I have an '84 Letour Luxe, that I use for touring simply because it has couplers. And it has couplers simply because it was the last bike I still had in the US when I ran out of storage options there. The Suntour Summetric shifters are very nice to use, IMO, especially when they don't snap off as a unit. Mine are coupled with a first gen Cyclone rd. This is a match made in heaven. And an unknown(at the monment)fd. I'd like to put a Suntour Spirt on it, but I don't know if they shift three rings. I guess there is one way to find out.
Likes For niliraga:
Old 08-23-21, 11:06 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by niliraga
...i dimly recall the Spirt's mechanics are inverted - the spring 'relaxes' the cage onto the big ring.

if that's correct, surely the Symmetric shifter auto-trim function will send the FD in the wrong direction?
I didn't realize there was an auto trim function on the shifters but since I use bar ends it's not an issue. The reverse action is what I find so appealing about spirts and some other suntours.
Old 08-24-21, 06:49 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
I have an older than yours Mississippi built Schwinn Le Tour Luxe that I thought would just be ok. After riding it, I like it a lot. The biggest knock I have with the Mississippi built Schwinn's is the paint and decals. They are not anywhere near as good as Chicago built Schwinn's and not as durable as some other comparable frames. It looks like you are taking care of that issue and therefore evening the playing field again.

Your can measure them, weigh them, analyze them, but the proof is in the puddin', as they say. Find out which one you prefer when you ride them. You may even want to swap the wheel set so that you have better comparison.

I'm with you on the comparison of Canti's to sidepull brakes. I don't really favor one over the other.

You have a good dilemma there denaffen ..

I have a similar one I have my Le Tour Luxe and a similar Traveler. Both from Mississippi.. One of the reasons that I may favor the LeTour is that the Traveler has a fade paint job. And the Traveler has double butted True Temper tubing and the Le Tours is straight gauge. It is older than yours, At this point, I am keeping both. I set them up differently. The Le Tour Luxe has bar end shifters with drop bars and a triple chainring (now).
Old 08-24-21, 07:09 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3887 Post(s)
Liked 6,482 Times in 3,206 Posts
Originally Posted by niliraga
the Spirt's mechanics are inverted ... surely the Symmetric shifter auto-trim function will send the FD in the wrong direction?
You can setup the cam in those shifters to work in either direction.
Old 08-24-21, 08:33 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by rustystrings61
Schwinn’s demise due to poor marketing and business decisions and Trek’s rise to power helped in large part by their sponsorship of a cheat stripped of 7 Tour titles are irrelevant in discussing the relative merits of these two bikes.
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
Seems to me Trek was pretty much "in power" by the mid 80s, long before anyone knew Lance Armstrong's name.
The Golden Boy is correct - Trek's fortunes were already headed steeply upwards when they started sponsoring pro teams , incl. Armstrong. Furthermore, while I believe Armstrong was a cheat, and a particularly nasty one, that was (is?) the reality of pro cycling (and most pro sports) in general. Man many other riders, and even whole teams were caught doping.
Schwinns, while generally very good value, were never as good quality as Treks, with few exceptions. Schwinn also made the mistake of helping develop Giant into the behemoth they are today in order to cut their own costs, while Trek continued investment in their USA manufacturing capabilities until the mid 90s, when the bulk of their frame production started being done overseas.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 08-24-21, 08:37 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
Trek was certainly an up and comer before Lance, sure - and Schwinn did themselves no favors with poor marketing choices. But when talking the difference between two mid-grade bikes, the relative fortunes of the manufacturing firms has zippidee doo dah day to do with the relative merits of the bikes themselves, which was my initial main point.
Likes For rustystrings61:
Old 08-24-21, 08:45 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
denaffen Great job on the LeTour repaint. Really like the color. Thank you for posting your overhaul of these 2 C&V bikes, looking forward to the finished products. As often happens on BF, much information on the LeTour series and Trek tourers has accumulated. Good to have it in one place. I agree with rustystrings61 that a Marque going out of business doesn't necessarily speak poorly of the bikes they built. For example Motobecane, Bridgestone, Stella and many others still have quite a following. Adding a link to the 1985 Schwinn catalog: https://bikehistory.org/catalogs/1985.html Don
Likes For ollo_ollo:
Old 08-24-21, 11:12 AM
denaffen

Just ordered stickers, which cost me more than 2x what the Schwinn did. But on the plus side, Velocals did reproduce the "made in America" sticker that wasn't in their normal inventory. They do nice work.

Old 08-24-21, 03:20 PM
quakerparrot67

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
hi all, been lurking a while, thought i'd try coming out of my shell...
,doesn't the "le tour" name refer (rather walter mitty-ish-ly) to 'le tour' de france, rather than to it being a 'touring' bike? just a thought.

cheers,
rob
Old 08-24-21, 06:33 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
that’s overall wheelbase, although I may need to re-measure. I had measured the stays before and they’re about 5mm different, with the 520 being just a smidge longer.
Keep in mind you're comparing two bicycles of a different size.

For apples to apples comparison, here are some published wheelbases.
23" Le Tour: 40.75"/1035.05mm
22.5" 520: 1056mm

I took a guess that the 23" Letour is about the same as a 22.5" 520, but if it's more like a 24" 520 then the difference is even larger. 36mm or almost 1.5"! Admit it, the Le Tour isn't a touring bike!

23" Le Tour: 40.75"/1035.05mm
24" 520: 1071mm

Geo charts below.

85 Schwinn Catalog (edited to move the columns close together)

88 Trek Catalog
Old 08-24-21, 06:46 PM
denaffen

there is absolutely no way there is 35mm difference in these two frames wheelbase
Old 08-25-21, 09:54 AM
denaffen

The Le Tour has its (hopefully) last coat of paint and is ready for polishing.

Meanwhile, I just keep riding the 520 more and more. 5 miles one day, 6 the next, 8 this morning. It seems to always want to go more than I have time for. And I still haven’t done much except a light cleaning, throw some air in the ancient tires and swap out the worn out seat.
Likes For denaffen:
Old 08-25-21, 10:50 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
The Le Tour has its (hopefully) last coat of paint and is ready for polishing.

Meanwhile, I just keep riding the 520 more and more. 5 miles one day, 6 the next, 8 this morning. It seems to always want to go more than I have time for. And I still haven’t done much except a light cleaning, throw some air in the ancient tires and swap out the worn out seat.
That color is so, so money.

Are you going to decal it?

--Shannon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.