Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

chain ring compatibility

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

chain ring compatibility

Old 08-06-20, 04:45 PM
Smoothcyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
chain ring compatibility

I have a Rivendell Sam Hillborne bicycle with their proprietary "silver" crank. I want to find some good quality replacement chain rings that have the ramp and pins for smooth shifting. I purchased some specialties TA chain rings but when compared to my original chain rings the offset was a little bit different on the middle and outer, the difference wasn't consistent. I thought about replacing the whole crank instead but trying to find one that would have the same chain line would take some research. Suggestons? I saw a Sugino 3 chain ring crank that says it will work with my 113mm bottom bracket, is this a brand any good?
Old 08-06-20, 04:53 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
The rivbike website says the Silver's BCD is 110 mm and 74 mm. If you search on chain ring 110 74 BCD, you'll get a lot of hits. The TA is 50.4 mm BCD for outer rings and 80 mm BCD for inner and middles; hence the mismatch.
Old 08-06-20, 05:17 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Smoothcyclist
I saw a Sugino 3 chain ring crank that says it will work with my 113mm bottom bracket, is this a brand any good?
Find a crankset which you like and buy a bottom bracket to suit, trying to find one which fits your existing bottom bracket is letting the tail wag the dog. If you find one which takes 113mm, great, otherwise they are not costly items, relatively. I have been satisfied with the Sugino crankset I installed on one of my bikes, with a new, suitable bottom bracket.
Old 08-06-20, 05:25 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
For all I know Riv might Re-badge Sugino cranks they're a marketing not a manufacturing company..
Old 08-07-20, 01:51 PM
Smoothcyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I just replace the chain rings does it matter if they sit a little further in or further out than my original chain rings do?
Old 08-07-20, 02:32 PM
Clem von Jones

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Sugino, TA, Shimano, Interloc Racing Design (IRD), PBP are good rings. It's fairly easy to find 110/74 bcd rings on ebay but in my experience you'll desire 7000-T4, T6 series alloy for the middle or small rings to prevent rapid wear. Even better are those Surly stainless steel alloy rings which are surprisingly lightweight too. I bet those Riv cranks are made by Sugino, or at least were designed to be compatible with Sugino rings which Riv uses alot. You can ignore the recommended BB width, that information is irrelevant. I don't find pins and ramps necessary for the middle ring.

Last edited by Clem von Jones; 08-07-20 at 03:26 PM.
Likes For Clem von Jones:
Old 08-07-20, 02:36 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
If I just replace the chain rings does it matter if they sit a little further in or further out than my original chain rings do?

If they don't hit the frame and the derailleur can reach everything the minor changes in chainline shouldn't be an issue.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 08-07-20, 02:40 PM
Eggman84

Bikes: 2014 Bruce Gordon Rock&Road, 1995 Santana Visa Tandem, 1990 Trek 520, 2012 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
It depends. With the new rings installed, does the chain fall between the small middle or middle large? It also might not work if you have indexed front shifting (which moves the chain a very specific amount per shift/click), but if its friction than it doesn't matter as much if at all. How much are you talking about?
Likes For Eggman84:
Old 08-07-20, 03:02 PM
Smoothcyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
If they don't hit the frame and the derailleur can reach everything the minor changes in chainline shouldn't be an issue.
I have friction shifting for the front ring
Old 08-07-20, 03:08 PM
Smoothcyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Clem von Jones
Sugino, TA, Shimano, Interloc Racing Design (IRD), PBP are good rings. It's fairly easy to find 110/74 bcd rings on ebay but in my experience you'll desire 7000-T4 series alloy for the middle or small rings to prevent rapid wear. Even better are those Surly stainless steel alloy rings which are surprisingly lightweight too. I bet those Riv cranks are made by Sugino, or at least were designed to be compatible with Sugino rings which Riv uses alot. You can ignore the recommended BB width, that information is irrelevant. I don't find pins and ramps necessary for the middle ring.
Yeah Riv used to sell only Sugino cranks for about 12 years then they switched to there "silver" brand crank. The chain rings themselves have no manufacturer indentification on them, they whole bike is made and assembled in Taiwan as a "complete" affordable bicycle. They Crank itself is made of 7075 T6 aluminum but as far as the rings go, who knows.
Old 08-07-20, 03:11 PM
Smoothcyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Eggman84
It depends. With the new rings installed, does the chain fall between the small middle or middle large? It also might not work if you have indexed front shifting (which moves the chain a very specific amount per shift/click), but if its friction than it doesn't matter as much if at all. How much are you talking about?
The smallest inner chain rings mounts to spacers so I can swap those out for thinner ones to control the gap that is in between the smallest inner ring and the middle ring.