Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Groupset for Breadwinner Lolo...Ultegra DI2 or Force AXS eTap?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-21, 03:37 PM
stealthfixr

Bikes: Pinarello Rokh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Been a road bike enthusiast since 2005 and I've long been eyeing a custom road bike. After looking at off the shelf bikes, Seven, Breadwinner, Sage and Firefly, I recently decided on the Breadwinner Lolo Disc. I originally spec'd the SRAM Force AXS groupset, but a bike shop where I got a Retul fitting strongly recommended the Shimano Ultegra DI2. According to them, the brakes are far better, the Ultegra brifters are smaller/more comfortable and only having to worry about 1 large battery vs. 4 smaller ones with eTap. I was originally swayed to Force due to the wireless connectivity and gearing options. However, I don't want to be charging derailleur batteries every few weeks (per LBS) if I can help it. Then Breadwinner told me there is about a 6 month or longer wait for Shimano groupsets. Yikes! I might be able to get Force sooner...

I have only ridden Shimano mechanical groupsets, never SRAM. I am not a competitive rider, just someone who loves to ride, put in a century or few a year, and group rides with friends. Ridden RAGBRAI once and would like to do it on the AF Cycling Team again. Probably either groupset will work great, and choosing between electronic groupsets is a nice problem to have. Just checking here in case there's a community leaning with factors I'd not considered or was not aware of. Was my LBS opinion common? Is Ultegra DI2 worth waiting for? Potayto vs. Potatoh?
Old 03-11-21, 05:18 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4350 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
I would do Ultegra Di2 all day every day over ScRAM anything. I love my Ultegra Di2 and it is has been pretty much problem free for 3-4 years now (aside from a warrantied front derailleur) and I haven't really had to do anything to it aside from occasional firmware updates (which reminds me I haven't done it in a while). Shimano warranty wise is super easy to work with where SRAM isn't terrible but not quite as easy peasy.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-11-21, 05:22 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
I built up a Roubaix frame this winter and I seriously considered Force AXS etap. The more I researched, the more I thought it would be too much bother to deal with. I went with Ultegra Di2, but I had a heck of a time getting parts for it.
Old 03-11-21, 05:23 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Unless you actually can see the groupsets on a shelf...don't count on seeing either anytime soon.

Shimano has been missing every single delivery promise since August 2020 for parts....and it isn't looking like that will change anytime soon. I'd be surprised is SRAM was any different.
Likes For Marcus_Ti:
Old 03-12-21, 08:24 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
If your terrain isn't too demanding and 11 speeds are adequate, then shimano will work fine, but there will be major changes to 12 speed in the near future and none of the components will be cross compatible.

I put force axs on two bikes, starting in July and I've had no problems at all. I've experimented with Campy chorus 48/32 and shimano grx 46/30 cranks to increase range for riding in the mountains. SRAM's 13T difference at the crank reduces range. It seems silly to add a 12th sprocket to increase range and then take it away at the crank.

I can't imagine that the brakes on either brand aren't more than adequate. Brake pad choice alone makes a lot of difference.
Old 03-12-21, 08:56 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Di2. All day any day.
Old 03-12-21, 09:22 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Add another vote for Di2
Old 03-12-21, 09:26 AM
colnago62

Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Buy what you can get.
Old 03-12-21, 12:58 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 1,733 Times in 1,009 Posts
I looked at Di2 and AXS for my Domane purchase, while I like the wireless aspect, I went Di2 as I could not justify the difference in price. They both felt fine and worked great, but did not want to pay hundreds more for the AXS. I was just more comfortable going with Shimano as I like their road groups better.

Old 03-12-21, 01:56 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,485 Times in 4,187 Posts
Lolo is a cool looking bike. Nice modern looking steel road bike.
I would put Di2 on it or even Ultegra mechanical before AXs eTap and the massive derailleurs.
,,,but I dont think twice about mechanical shifting as its more than nice enough for me, so I wouldnt see R9000 mechanical as a downgrade or as a concession.
Old 03-12-21, 02:08 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Unless you actually can see the groupsets on a shelf...don't count on seeing either anytime soon.

Shimano has been missing every single delivery promise since August 2020 for parts....and it isn't looking like that will change anytime soon. I'd be surprised is SRAM was any different.
I've met the Breadwinner folks at NAHBS and they seem pretty stand up, and I know they like to ship complete bikes as compared to only the frameset so they may have some inventory of parts and groupsets. You could give them a call and ask if they have what you want in stock. I think a Breadwinner build is usually few weeks anyway, but securing the groupset if you can seems like a good idea.
Old 03-12-21, 04:33 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Don't know what size you are but there is one for sale with Dura Ace Di2 9000 on the Paceline Forum. It has a 55 cm top tube.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...ht=breadwinner

If you go new, I would normally say Di2 all day long but if it meant waiting six months and I could get the SRAM stuff sooner, then that is the way I would go. Whatever you can get first would be my choice.
Old 03-12-21, 05:05 PM
Dean V

Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
There is a bit of hate for Sram products but personally I have found them to work well.
Recently got Force AXS and really like it.
I find the gear ratios also work great. More flexibility and less cross chaining than normal.
Old 03-12-21, 05:38 PM
DaveSSS 

If you're willing to try mechanical, Campy chorus or record 12 is the way to go. Eventually, there will be three brands with 12 speed and the cassettes will be cross compatible. I've used Campy and SRAM 12 cassettes with Campy and SRAM. A chorus group can be had for around $1060. Pinkjersey.com

A nearly $3k custom deserves better than Ultegra.

https://breadwinnercycles.com/product/lolo/#frame

Last edited by DaveSSS; 03-12-21 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-12-21, 07:03 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Quoted: 3136 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 1,029 Posts
I’m at the two month mark waiting for a SRAM Force AXS hydro groupset.

One of the cool things about AXS, aside from the wireless thing which is effin’ sweet, is that the individual battery units provide interchangeability in the event one goes dead unexpectedly. You can swap the derailleur batteries if necessary, or grab a spare and carry that; they’re small and light. Same with the CR2032s in the shifters, but you could toss a spare in your road kit and not even know it’s there. The claim is that the batteries last a long time, though, and long term reviews support that, so I’m not even worrying about it.

As this is going on a bike that’s going to see winter rides, the left/right shifting setup of E-Tap AXS is a huge boon for winter glove riding, too.

The SRAM shift arrangement is also like the paddle shifters in every performance car on the road, so I like the ergonomic continuity there. For non-drivers I can understand that’s a non-issue, but it’s like the right front brake setup for motorcycle riders: critical reflexive behavior. I sold my moto years ago, but it’s so ingrained, I still run my bicycles that way.
Old 03-12-21, 07:48 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,485 Times in 4,187 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
A nearly $3k custom deserves better than Ultegra.
I used Ultegra(and Praxis...gasp!) on the frame I built in a class a fee years ago that cost around $3k once painted. I honestly don't know the total.
I could have picked any drivetrain for it. Drivetrain arguments are dumb.
I have 0 interest in Campy, don't see it as some grail since I don't care about image or what was an industry leader 50 years ago, and have no desire to get new tools just for 1 bike. Based on Campy's share of aftermarket/non-OEM business, it appears many others feel similarly.

I guess if Ultegra isn't image nice enough, someone can spend 2-3x more and buy DA for the same performance as Ultegra? Cool.

I long ago learned on here that I have low standards and am too easily pleased.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-12-21, 09:28 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 1,733 Times in 1,009 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
Don't know what size you are but there is one for sale with Dura Ace Di2 9000 on the Paceline Forum. It has a 55 cm top tube.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...ht=breadwinner

If you go new, I would normally say Di2 all day long but if it meant waiting six months and I could get the SRAM stuff sooner, then that is the way I would go. Whatever you can get first would be my choice.

that is sweet looking...

Old 03-13-21, 09:37 AM
DaveSSS 

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I used Ultegra(and Praxis...gasp!) on the frame I built in a class a fee years ago that cost around $3k once painted. I honestly don't know the total.
I could have picked any drivetrain for it. Drivetrain arguments are dumb.
I have 0 interest in Campy, don't see it as some grail since I don't care about image or what was an industry leader 50 years ago, and have no desire to get new tools just for 1 bike. Based on Campy's share of aftermarket/non-OEM business, it appears many others feel similarly.

I guess if Ultegra isn't image nice enough, someone can spend 2-3x more and buy DA for the same performance as Ultegra? Cool.

I long ago learned on here that I have low standards and am too easily pleased.

You must have just woken from a long sleep. Campy has been the first to offer 10, 11 and 12 speed drivetrains. Shimano usually follows about 4 years later. The largest OEM seller doesn't make shimano the best, it makes them slow to respond. I first tried Campy when I owned the first version of ultegra 8 speed sti with the exposed cables, around 1995. I built up a bike with Campy 8 speed integrated shifters with all hidden cables and never bought shimano again.

I switched from Campy Chorus 12 that I bought in 2019 to SRAM AXS last year. My Campy 48/32 cranks worked great with the otherwise sram drivetrain. Sram and Campy 12 cassettes also have nearly identical sprocket spacing. So far I like the sram shift levers better than Campy. Shimano users might see a DA 12 group late this year and maybe Ultegra 12 late in 2022.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 03-13-21 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-13-21, 12:41 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by DaveSSS
You must have just woken from a long sleep. Campy has been the first to offer 10, 11 and 12 speed drivetrains. Shimano usually follows about 4 years later. The largest OEM seller doesn't make shimano the best, it makes them slow to respond. I first tried Campy when I owned the first version of ultegra 8 speed sti with the exposed cables, around 1995. I built up a bike with Campy 8 speed integrated shifters with all hidden cables and never bought shimano again.

I switched from Campy Chorus 12 that I bought in 2019 to SRAM AXS last year. My Campy 48/32 cranks worked great with the otherwise sram drivetrain. Sram and Campy 12 cassettes also have nearly identical sprocket spacing. So far I like the sram shift levers better than Campy.
Indeed, and Campagnolo are also the first to bring 13spd to the OEM road market. Yeah, Rotor was first with 13spd, but at $3k and quite small production, that keeps it out of the OEM realm (insofar as I am aware).
Old 03-13-21, 01:08 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Indeed, and Campagnolo [is] also the first to bring 13spd to the OEM road gravel market ...
... and is simultaneously the last manufacturer to introduce a 1x setup for the gravel market.
Old 03-13-21, 01:16 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
... and is simultaneously the last manufacturer to introduce a 1x setup for the gravel market.
Yeah, but it’s the lightest and usually considered the best, so there’s that. It would be damning if they dropped garbage rather than the best, but thankfully that’s not the case.
Old 03-13-21, 01:24 PM
tomato coupe

Yeah, but it’s the lightest and usually considered the best, so there’s that. It would be damning if they dropped garbage rather than the best, but thankfully that’s not the case.
Okay, but your previous post was praising Campy for being first.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-13-21, 01:53 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Okay, but your previous post was praising Campy for being first.
Kinda, not really, but also not untrue. One might argue, even, that the idea
of 1x isn’t matured as an all-round 2x gravel/road replacement until there is 13spd out back. I mean, I’d be surprised if SRAM and Shimano don’t release 1x 13spd groups now.

In any case, the point made is that considering Campagnolo a company which has not been an industry leader for 50 years is ridiculous.
Old 03-13-21, 05:44 PM
tomato coupe

In any case, the point made is that considering Campagnolo a company which has not been an industry leader for 50 years is ridiculous.
Yeah, it's closer to 20-30 years.
Old 03-13-21, 05:55 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Yeah, it's closer to 20-30 years.
That’s a queer conclusion, quite at odds with reality.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.